Coffee- Give it up or not at all?

Options

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've found that cold brew coffee is smoother than regular coffee- it's not as acidic and harsh. It's the only coffee I can drink black without my stomach getting upset. Maybe cold brew would require less sugar/cream additives for you and therefore reduce the cals?

I bought a cold brew kit from Bed Bath and Beyond (basically a pitcher with a fine-mesh infuser included)- I think it was maybe $30, and I can use regular ol' coffee in it, so other than the initial cost of the kit, I don't spend any extra money in order to have cold brew, and it lasts 2 weeks in the fridge so I waste less coffee than when I was brewing pots everyday.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Me give up coffee?

Hahahahahahaha....no.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I've turned coffee into breakfast by adding protein, fiber, and fat.

g0przaxp52bn.jpg
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Life is not worth living if I can't have my 2 cups with 2 tsp sugar and 2 Tbs creamer. I feel 150 calories a day is a small price to pay to keep myself out of prison...because if I couldn't have coffee I just may kill the first person who comes at me early every morning!!
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my lifeline, I switched to decaf with a pod machine, and I add almond milk. all up each cup is 75 calories.
    losing the caffeine took a while
    I still take an espresso with caffeine 30mins before i train to elevate my heart rate

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups daily each cup has 2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp half and half. So at 70 cals per cup that is 140 calories per day. For me that is non negotiable. If you love your coffee and it makes you happy then just make it fit your calorie goal. There is no need to cut out anything you love. You might just need to cut down the portion sizes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups of black coffee every day. No plans to give it up.

I have tried green tea, but don't particularly like it. I prefer Lady Grey, French Grey, Chai Rooibos, Lemon Ginger, and flavoured Chamomile. :) All "black" ... occasionally with a tiny bit of Stevia.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You say you have a lot of cream? How much? Could you cut down gradually?
    I switched from coffee with milk and sugar to decaf with 1 cup heated almond milk and Stevia. It took a while to get used to, but now I enjoy it very much. Cinnamon and nutmeg helped me through the transition.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It's not the coffee that's the problem, but what most people put in it. The sugars and creams are what make it so weight loss unfriendly. I drink black coffee all the time, it's even my Pre-workout.
  • CarolynG93
    CarolynG93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've cut down to 1 a day! It's made me appreciate it a lot more. Really enjoy having my coffee in bed in the morning. Machine coffee and 100ml skimmed milk mmmmm x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do every once in awhile!, its good for you!
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my life. I drink minimum 2 a day with just a little 1% milk.
  • sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did switch to green tea about a year ago. It didn't make me lose any weight and that wasn't my goal at the time, plus I have always taken my coffee black so it didn't really make a difference calorie wise. I went back to coffee within 4 months because I love coffee and I was sad avoiding it.

I personally did not feel any positive effects from switching to green tea, in fact I felt less able to handle stressful things at work in the morning. Things got on my nerves more. That was my personal experience, most likely a placebo effect.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like most caffeine delivery vehicles. I have learned how to drink each with 0 to minimal calories, depending on my needs. I like coffee with little milk/sweetener in the morning because the little extra protein/calories keeps me satisfied until I am ready for breakfast mid-morning. I have stopped drinking caffeine after about 1pm to work on some sleep issues I started having with too much caffeine.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too much to give it up. I typically cold brew my coffee and add a little bit of skim milk. Minimal calories, still delicious!
  • alpear
    alpear Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was a huge huge huge sweet coffee drinker but about 2 years ago I realized I would rather eat the 200 calories I drank a day so I started drinking black- took me almost a month before I wasn't grossed out but now I can only drink it black- I had to retrain my taste buds I guess!
    If you can work it in your calories don't give it up- healthy lifestyle is not about deprivation it's about moderation.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How many calories did you normally consume in coffee each day (including cream, sugar, etc), OP?

No idea because I just free poured my delicious coconut cream or hazel nut flavored cream.
    A few years ago when I was watching my diet/weight I used two tbls I think at 30-45 cals each. So not too bad, but I like it creamier than that. Probably with 3 creams I would be okay.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a large coffee with a couple cream and a couple sugar can add up to 200 cals. And who just drinks one coffee am I right? If you're trying to lose weight I'd say drink it black or not at all.

Myself, I have a sugar in my coffee, sometimes I drink it black. I didn't just start drinking black coffee tho. You have to get used to it. Maybe instead of 3 creams use 2 and slowly make your way down to none.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    This post is blowing up! You really can't tell the MFP community that coffee is a no-no :wink:

I drink sugar free vanilla coffee mate creamer. It's 15 cal per TBSP.... and I add it to VERY large to-go mugs, so end up with like SIX tablespoons in total. Still, that's only 90 calories. No sugar, but watch the sodium. It's the least healthy thing I consume on the reg, so I consider it worthy of making the room in my calories
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    K8style wrote: »
    Have you tried Bulletproof Coffee? I just tried it for a week and my weight started moving again. You should check it out!

LOL...she is trying to cut down her calories so you suggest she add hundreds of extra calories to her coffee???? :/