Fitbit vs Garmin

I have a fitbit alta hr and like it but i want something waterproof since swimming 2-3x a week and competitively is my workout of choice. I do walk or run or row 2 other days per week.

So Garmin vivofit 3 or Garmin vivosmart 3? Or fitbit flex? And ...... are they accurate in tracking swimming?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Seems like they're swimming or triathlon watches would suit you better.
  • brideak5
    brideak5 Posts: 45 Member
    I have a garmin vivoactive and love it! I mostly use it for running
  • sarahbecks_
    sarahbecks_ Posts: 14 Member
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR+ and I love it. It's water proof so you can wear it swimming, and it has a built in GPS so you can track your workouts (ex. Running, walking, etc) without having to bring your phone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    RSD06 wrote: »

So Garmin vivofit 3 or Garmin vivosmart 3? Or fitbit flex? And ...... are they accurate in tracking swimming

Neither of the Garmin's will track swimming. For that is recommended a Garmin Swim, or a Forerunner 920XT, 735XT or 935.

Personally I've found the 735XT to be reliable for consistent swimming, but it doesn't distinguish between strokes.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    I have a Vivoactive HR, the reason I chose that model over a Fitbit was for the waterproofing and the ability to log swimming, I am not in anyway competitive so can't comment on it's reliability too much but I found it fine for casual lap swimming.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

So Garmin vivofit 3 or Garmin vivosmart 3? Or fitbit flex? And ...... are they accurate in tracking swimming

Neither of the Garmin's will track swimming. For that is recommended a Garmin Swim, or a Forerunner 920XT, 735XT or 935.

Personally I've found the 735XT to be reliable for consistent swimming, but it doesn't distinguish between strokes.

They will do indoor swimming with a set lap length. They will not track outdoor swimming as they lose the GPS signal.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    As long as you know the size of your pool a Vivoactive works well for swimming. My only complaint is that the touchscreen is hard to use while wet. I have a Fenix 3 that works in open water too. I think it has more data than my Vivoactive and no annoying touch screen.
  • MeanderingMammal

They will do indoor swimming with a set lap length. They will not track outdoor swimming as they lose the GPS signal.

They can do, but signal acquisition is extremely good on all three of those. Far better than the entry level devices like the Vivoactive.
  • MeanderingMammal

They can do, but signal acquisition is extremely good on all three of those. Far better than the entry level devices like the Vivoactive.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member

Signal aquisition has always been better on my Vivoactive than my Fenix 3. Which is weird because they were both built about the same time and there would have been about a $300 price difference new. GPS just bit the dust on my Fenix 3, so I'm hoping my refurb works a little better. GPS wouldn't matter for swimming on the Vivoactive because it only tracks pool lap swims, not open water.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Sorry, my reply is not quite what I meant.

You are correct that the one your mentioned do a good job. The others mentioned are what I was trying to refer to (and did so poorly).

I have a VAHR and I know it is only good for the pool.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    You can get a waterproofed Fitbit port have your existing Fitbit waterproofed.

http://www.waterfi.com

I use a Charge 2 but have a waterproofed Alta HR on order for swimming.