glutes and thighs for women who are naturally bottom heavy?

Options
I'm 5'1, have short legs and they are naturally heavy, as is my butt. I workout at home with a treadmill and a few weights while my kids are sleeping. I'm trying to figure out how to shape my booty and thighs. I have already gotten rid of a good chunk of cellulite with squats glute bridges, etc. I can't do lunges without a trainer with me because everytime I do, I hurt my knee. I've accepted that my legs will likely never be lean and thin, and my booty will always be large. but i'm having a hard time figuring out what else to do to shape those outter glutes and inner thighs. I've always had dreams of competing in bikini figure, but feel like that's way out of reach considering how much body fat I have and can't seem to lose or shape what muscle I do have. I know there's a big fithick trend happening, which is great, but I don't even think I fall into that category yet because there's so much body fat and not enouch muscle. Anyone know of home exercises for the side butt and inner thighs (or whatever else you see in the pictures that clearly need work)? has anyone ever gone from my shape to competition ready? thanks!

(pictures are in my profile. fitnesspal never uploads pictures for me)

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle?
    To lose fat, you need to be in a calorie deficit. To gain muscle, you need to be in a calorie surplus (and lift weights)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    small deficit and a progressive lifting programme would be a good place to start.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you still have more weight to lose and higher bodyfat %, then right now it is not about shaping as much as losing the fat on top. You have muscle there, you just have to reveal it. Maintaining it while you lose weight by following an established lifting program can help.

I will get skeletal on top before my bottom leans out.. it has taken me years of building up my bottom half to where it looks lean enough to match the top. Frustrating for sure!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    For me, I need both heavy and high rep work on my legs and butt for growth. I would call myself "fit & thick." It's a combination of muscle mass and fat. I train for competitive powerlifting.

Are you going to participate in a bodybuilding competition? I'm also confused by your goals. There are several women at my gym who do competitions, and I would not call them "thick" at all. Their legs are developed and LEAN. If that's what you want, you need to lift and eat at a deficit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm bottom heavy as well, and I know a good deal of it is because I can still stand to lose some fat.

Granted, I will look very thin up top at a weight where my bottom half thins out in any appreciable respect, and I'm okay with that.

I always will have a somewhat stocky build, but I do realize that for me, being on the lower end of my BMI range is the only way I'll have a thinner lower body.

I have to wonder if this is true for a lot of us pear/hourglass types.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    stairs, treadmill and a stationary bike were helpful for me when it came to slimming up the legs...anything I could do in front of the TV...even a slow pace is faster than sitting on the couch...and stuff I could do in like 10-15 min several times a day as I had time to spare
  • TartsAndTattoos
    TartsAndTattoos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Squats. Squats. Squats. And remember, you can't spot reduce- you will lose fat from all over as you tone.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped. No matter how thin I get, I don't really look different. Short of liposuction, that is.

Having said that, when I took 12 gym classes a week, including spin 3 times a week, and really was careful about what I ate, I lost 7 inches from each thigh. That was years ago. Now my thighs just look big, not crazy fat.