Struggling with weight

Please help me make sense of what is going on, with my lack of weight loss and very low maintenance calories,

Week beginning: Average Cals per day: Weight on last day of week

March 25th: 1234 Calories per day: 141 pounds

April 1st: 1305 calories per day: 141.9 pounds

April 8th: 1023 calories per day: 140.4 pounds

April 15th: 1216 calories per day: 140.2 pounds

April 22nd: 1383 calories per day: 139.7 pounds

April 29th: 1111 calories per day: 138 pounds

May 6th: 1221 calories per day: 138.8 pounds

May 13th: 991 calories per day: 138 pounds

May 20th: 1221 calories per day: 138 pounds

May 27th: 1300 calories per day: 138.4 pounds

June 3rd: 1460 calories per day: 141 pounds

June 10th: 1500 cals per day so far 141.6 pounds

June 17th: 1520 cals per day: 142.6 pounds

June 24th: 1715 calories per day: 142.2 pounds

July 1st: 1630 calories per day: 141.6 pounds

July 8th 1710 calories per day: 140.4

July 15th: 1550 calories per day 141.4 pounds

July 22nd: 1680 calories per day: 143.8 pounds

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    From what I can see of your diary it looks like you're eating a lot of processed foods. In my experience when I was trying to lose weight and I ate stuff like that my weight didn't go down either, even if I stayed under calorie goal. A lot if it has to do with the amount of sugar, fat and sodium that are added to processed food, this can cause you to retain water and it messes with your insulin production etc. The other side of it is that when you are eating a lot of prepackaged foods and not a lot of fresh fruits and veggies you're depriving your body of much needed nutrients. My suggestion, would be to start eliminating prepackaged and processed foods and try to increase your fruti and veggie consumption. Start slow by replacing one thing at a time.

I didn't look at your activity level, are you doing any sort of exercise? I know with me when I was just doing cardio it didn't matter how much I did (I got up to 2 hours a day), my body would not let go of the added weight until I started consistently doing weight training. Building muscle will help to lean you out and change your body's shape. Combine that with a good nutrition and cardio plan and you should be good to go.

If you make these changes and don't see any results (give yourself at LEAST three to four weeks of consistently doing these things) then I would suggest seeing your doctor to make sure there's nothing medically going on. Feel free to friend me if you'd like! I don't mind helping in the support side of things :)
  • PopsGils
    PopsGils Posts: 68 Member
    Hi Workoutgirl! Thanks so much for replying, I never eat processed foods, sometimes I add my food as restaurant versions as it is the easiest and closest ones in the database to find. I have a few pieces of choc here and there as I can not not have chocolate! I am one of those people! If you go past the last few days on my diary (as i had birthdays this weekend) you will see what I really eat, but you are def right about the sodium and sugar being an issue I think. I wonder if I should go to the doctor. I had my metabolism tested this time last year and it was fine, RMR 1360 TDEE 1680. I don't work out, just walk the dog. I just dont know what to do anymore, stay fat forever?
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    You'll still lose weight by eating processed foods and sticking withing your calorie goals.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    May I know how tall you are? and how many calories do you eat a day?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    My suspicion is that it's down to the accuracy of your food logging.

You just mentioned that you use restaurant versions of your foods as it's easier. Sure, it's easier, but it's not accurate. If you're cooking from scratch, you should be using the recipe calculator here on MFP and creating an entry for whatever you've made.

I suggest you get really finicky about logging everything accurately and see how it goes. Use a digital scale to weigh everything, use the recipe calculator for anything you've cooked from scratch. No guessing, no eyeballing...log all the tastes, bites, etc. you have whilst cooking and preparing food. Make sure you're logging all your cooking oils and condiments accurately as well.

Try to avoid the "quick add" feature--I noticed you used that a number of times.

Log accurately and see what happens.
  • I notice that your calories are varying significantly each week. Have you considered trying to keep those steady for a while? Remember, your body cannot defy the laws of physics. Calories in, calories out. That's it. You are not losing weight because you are not sustaining a calorie deficit.
  • PopsGils
    I am 5 foot 5, or 165 cm, the list on my original post states how many calories I have per week, if I add them all up and divide by 7. Anything from 1300 - 2000, but the averages each week for the past 4 month are on my original post above! Thanks guys, always under my TDEE which is why I am in a state of desperation and confusion,.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Maybe your body just tries to tell you your weight is fine, which it is. I wouldn't go too much lower if I were you and maybe you should just stop trying so hard, it causes stress and that is never a good thing with loosing weight.
  • PopsGils
    "I notice that your calories are varying significantly each week. Have you considered trying to keep those steady for a while? Remember, your body cannot defy the laws of physics. Calories in, calories out. That's it. You are not losing weight because you are not sustaining a calorie deficit."
    - Do you really think that this is not a deficit - ?? The ONE week i maintained my weight was on 900 calories a day
    March 25th: 1234 Calories per day: 141 pounds
    April 1st: 1305 calories per day: 141.9 pounds
    April 8th: 1023 calories per day: 140.4 pounds
    April 15th: 1216 calories per day: 140.2 pounds
    April 22nd: 1383 calories per day: 139.7 pounds
    April 29th: 1111 calories per day: 138 pounds
    May 6th: 1221 calories per day: 138.8 pounds
    May 13th: 991 calories per day: 138 pounds
    May 20th: 1221 calories per day: 138 pounds
    May 27th: 1300 calories per day: 138.4 pounds
    June 3rd: 1460 calories per day: 141 pounds

I do not use oil in my cooking and i do log any condiments, I weigh everything and am really anal with measurements etc, even weighing lettuce .. I used to be on the wobbling line of anorexia so I overestimate portions, not the other way around. My metabolism should be fine now, it was fine last year, I havent restricted severely in years. Do you think my body just doesnt trust me yet?