Vension stew

Options
LisaMoxon155
LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
Ive just been given some vension. I intend to slow cook it. Ive seen recipes with red wine and mushrooms. Both i dont like.
So what i intend to do is cook with load of veg and veg stock.
My question is how to thicken gravy the gravy just before i serve it. Could i use beef granules??
Any thoughts/suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Beef granules will add flavour as well as thickness, which you may not want, depending how it already tastes. I tend to make a slurry of a tablespoon of corn starch with some water and mix it through the gravy, then heat it gently and it will thicken.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have a friend who does it in a slow cooker in red wine plus milk - the milk kills any gaminess. I second the corn starch although you could use arrowroot, flour, or I've even used bisquick to thicken gravy in a pinch. The main thing is to mix it with a little warm water first and get the lumps out.

If you cook it with starchy vegetables like potatoes it may not need much thickening, as the starch will thicken it while it cooks.
  • nuts4goats
    nuts4goats Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of red wine in stew, either. Instead, I use beer - the darker the better. For thickening, I'm partial to tapioca flour/starch.

Venison stew isn't any different than any other red meat stew (beef, goat, llama, bear, etc.) Highly versatile and a great way to clear out the veg bin.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    nuts4goats wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of red wine in stew, either. Instead, I use beer - the darker the better. For thickening, I'm partial to tapioca flour/starch.

Venison stew isn't any different than any other red meat stew (beef, goat, llama, bear, etc.) Highly versatile and a great way to clear out the veg bin.

Agree with this. Try pan searing with a cherry compote.

If stew is your goal though, use a nice abbey ale or Worcestershire sauce with your broth.