1lb/week or 2lb/week?

Options
44 y/o female
SW 205 - 06/05/17
CW 189
GW south of 170

I had my loss set to 2lb/week but I think that may be too high. I checked my TDEE and it's 1870, so when MFP has me at 1200 calories to start without exercise, that's still not low enough to technically lose 2lbs a week without factoring in exercise, correct?

Should I lower my weekly loss to 1.5 or 1 lb? I still have a minimum of 19 pounds to lose.
How often should you reassess your rate of loss?
When I start going to the gym next month and I'm doing more regular workouts, can I bring it back up to 2lbs a week?

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    1lb a week max. 2lbs a week are for people who have LOTS to lose, like 50-100lbs. 20lbs isn't LOTS.

If you are working out you'll need the extra calories to keep up and be strong. My recommendation is to increase your calories to the 1lb a week rate until you hit needing to lose 10lbs, then increase it again to .5lbs. It honestly gets you ready for maintainance. Which for me was ALWAYS the hard part. Losing weight is easy in my mind. Maintaining is hard. Which is why I'm here after a year trying to lose 10 more lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would go for a pound a week if you have around 19lbs to lose. more exercise will bring up your TDEE so yes, you may be able to increase your deficit, but at the same time 2lb per week may not be sustainable for you anyway.

she who eats the most calories and still loses weight wins!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    With less than 20 pounds to lose, I recommend dropping your weekly weight loss goal to no more than a pound a week, and a half pound would create an even more sustainable deficit. The weeks are going to pass anyway, so no point in needlessly suffering during that time.