Tips for making enticing salads?

Options
2»

Replies

• myfitnessjourneyto180
    myfitnessjourneyto180 Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Spiralizer. It can make the food look much nicer. Also, sea salt, herbs, and a tea spoon of olive oil (40 cals.).

I recommend also adding zuchinni noodles (you can spiralize the zuchinni) and then cooking it (with half a table spoon of olive oil, 60cals). One entire large zuchinni is only 55cals. and it is filling and feels like real noodles. You can even add some shrimps in there for only around 50cals at most if it's only a few (you can find ones for 60 cals. for 20 small shrimps, I've bought them myself). Overall, with the salad, it could reach 300 cals (most likely around 250 but I round up). with a lot of healthy non-fatty noodles, salad, and shrimp, with 0-calorie spices. Cheers :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I find differing textures and levels of sweetness are key. My flatmate and I share salad making duties - so when it gets to lunchtime it can be a surprise with some of the items in there!

shredded carrots, beetroot, avocado and olives are good ingredients. I like finely chopped strawberries but my flatmate isn't keen. Feta, smoked cheese, hardboiled eggs (today's lunch has half a black pudding scotch egg in it...) parma ham, crispy smoked bacon are all great as protein elements and I might throw a handful of pine nuts in there too. Not a fan of cold beans of any kind, or lentils. Cold boiled potatoes are good but they need to be new or salad potatoes.

having some form of dressing is key - I favour balsamic or a vinaigrette, which I keep separate in a mini jam jar to add when eating.

sometimes I'll make a wild rice salad to mix in as well - Ottolenghi has a good recipe, and also does a great raw root vegetable salad recipe.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My script for a good salad is: veggies (duh) + protein source + fiber source + cheese = awesome lunch!

Examples:
    - Romaine, cucumbers, tomato + grilled chicken + black beans + feta
    - Spinach, cucumbers, olives, red onion + grilled flank steak + cubed gala apple + blue cheese

The template gives me a starchy carb, a protein and a fat which all aid in keeping me feeling satiated and full. You can come up with so many varieties just by keeping that logic in mind. Then just toss in your fav salad dressing (or mix that up, too - I tend to do a variety of vinaigrettes) and you're good to go!

• Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Since you're Canadian, I'd highly recommend this Canadian Living "fresh and tasty salads" magazine issue. Everything I've made so far has turned out fabulous. It's on the shelves now at the grocery store. Got mine at Loblaws so I imagine they'll have it at Atlantic Superstore.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Pro tip: pick up some mason jars and pre-package a week's worth of salad stuff to store in the fridge. Take one out each night and dump it over a bed of lettuce. Easy.

Here's what I usually include:
    Cherry or grape tomatoes
    Red peppers
    Green peppers
    Mushrooms
    Apples
    Carrots
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Pickles
    Pickled jalapenos