weight gain - needing motivation

Options
Hi guys,
I just took 2 weeks vacation for my wedding and I weighed in the this morning I've gained 10lb (it's actually been a week since my vacation).
I am just looking for some words of motivation on here. I'm really needing it. What helps get you guys motivated? I honestly don't have a problem with working out, I usually do 4-5 times per week but it's emotional eating that gets me. Which I know is going to be hard since seeing that number on the scale has upset me quite a bit.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Having an eating plan helps me. I try and cook every other night or every 3rd night and eat the leftovers in between. Remove the tempting food from your house. Drink lots of water and stay active when at home (organize a closet, read a book, vacuum, go for a walk, etc.).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I just took 2 weeks vacation for my wedding and I weighed in the this morning I've gained 10lb (it's actually been a week since my vacation).
    I am just looking for some words of motivation on here. I'm really needing it. What helps get you guys motivated? I honestly don't have a problem with working out, I usually do 4-5 times per week but it's emotional eating that gets me. Which I know is going to be hard since seeing that number on the scale has upset me quite a bit.
    Thanks in advance

A good portion of that 10lb will be water weight, which is totally normal for a vacation, you will have been eating out more which means your intake of sodium will have increased, you may have taken in more carbs and if you were drinking that's another thing that adds to water retention. Flying can also cause your body to hold onto water.

Get back onto your calorie deficit and drink plenty of water and it will come back off.

As an example, I recently took a diet break over my birthday and a music festival, I gained around 6lbs per my weigh in at the beginning of August, I went straight back into my calorie deficit and 2 weeks later I am 10lb down.
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I think we all feel your pain from time to time. I can imagine seeing the number on the scale took your breath away. I totally agree with tinkerbell. Just do what you have to do to get back on track. I too am an emotional eater. Look it up in the dictionary and there is my picture, lol. Anyway, log everything you eat, shoot for that deficit And just stick to the plan. It'll work.
    Congratulations on your marriage!
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I know it's probably mostly water weight it was just a bit shocking! I will stick to it :) Thanks for the motivating words.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your wedding, you took a vacation and I'm really hoping you had a great time. But remember these 2 weeks were "a break", different to your regular routine. As you state, you had a 2 week break, I presume you were using MFP before your wedding and whatever routine you were following, was it working then?
    Now you are faced with a couple of choices. If you let this upset you, and return to emotional eating or give up. Time will still pass and at some point in the future, you'll decide to weigh yourself. More than likely at this point, you will be even more upset and annoyed with yourself. With even more weight to lose.
    Or
    Remember what worked for you in the past. If you logged before, look back at your old food journal and take ideas from days that worked well for you. When I've struggled, I've found preplanning as much as possible and daily accurate logging, as always helped me to readjust to the right pathway for me.
  • ckf76
    ckf76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your wedding, that is most wonderful. Do not let your weight gain overshadow what is a wonderful time in your life. There will be a bit of a let down after all the festivities, that combined with the weight gain can be an ugly spiral if you let it. The best thing to do is log, log, log. That always gets me back under control when I am not doing well. Just seeing those calories on a page is enough to help me get under control! Good luck!