Is 1,000 caloric intake bad

Options
I am trying to lose weight working out about 60 min a day the gym the app said I should be consuming 14 to 17,000 a day I'm hitting about 1,090 how bad is that for we weight loss? Will I really be in starvation mode?

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    You are going to hurt yourself if you keep up that much exercise on those few calories. It's not worth it!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't real. And as far as eating less than 1100 calories a day it isn't recommended. Go with what MFP tells you (and I'm sure you meant 1400-1700 calories a day). Weight loss is about calories, so make sure you are focusing on logging everything you consume, use correct entries (no homemade or generic) and have patience.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    17,000 calories a day? Are you logging correctly or are your goals up to date? Did you mean 1700?
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, because your logging is all over the place. Then you'll know better what you're actually eating.
    And eat at least what MFP is telling you to
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ya that is too low.

What are your stats?
  • mainecasey1
    mainecasey1 Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you are doing the 1,000 calories per day on your own, yes. That isn't good. It isn't giving your body all of the essential nutrients that you need. The exception to this rule is if your diet is medically managed and your provider puts you on a very low-calorie diet for a very short time to achieve a specific goal. That's my case. I'm in a bariatric program and have been for 7 months. Right now, I am doing my 2-week pre op diet to drop a little more weight and eliminate some extra fat around my liver. My pre op diet is roughly 1,000 calories per day, mostly liquid. But, it is medically managed by my provider and the wellness center where I am a patient.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    That's pretty darn low. Per my RD, the biggest reason there is a minimum caloric intake is that unless you are on an MD created nutrition plan per RD direction (think feeding tube liquid), it is near impossible to get the nutrients your body needs. While you'll lose weight, you'll end up malnourished, which can be just as dangerous. Now if you're eating 4000 calories a day and exercizing an extra 3000 off (wow!!!! Now that's some hard core athlete workouts), malnutrition isn't so much a factor. But, most people cannot do that on a daily basis. Especially if they have a normal job and responsibilities.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the 1,000 calories per day on your own, yes. That isn't good. It isn't giving your body all of the essential nutrients that you need. The exception to this rule is if your diet is medically managed and your provider puts you on a very low-calorie diet for a very short time to achieve a specific goal. That's my case. I'm in a bariatric program and have been for 7 months. Right now, I am doing my 2-week pre op diet to drop a little more weight and eliminate some extra fat around my liver. My pre op diet is roughly 1,000 calories per day, mostly liquid. But, it is medically managed by my provider and the wellness center where I am a patient.

FYI, you'll be consuming a lot less calories than that after your surgery and while you may see your surgeon at 1 week and then 1 month, there's a good chance you won't see him/her again for a few months after that, so being "medically managed" will pretty much mean that you are going to be told to 1. drink a lot of water, 2. drink a lot of protein, and 3. take vitamins. That's it for your medical supervision and that's going to be your diet for months and months.

I see a lot of people telling posters that anything under 1200 calories a day is really bad... unless its medically supervised, and I doubt that most people really know how little supervising goes on for most people who eat much less than 1200 cals a day.