Food scale recommendation

Options
Can someone recommend a good food scale please. Presently mine is manual with tiny one ounce or gram gradients. Those tiny increments are difficult to see. It has a plastic dish on time which I like because it can be removed and put in the dishwasher. I am beginning to question its accuracy. Would a digital be more accurate?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Digital, yes. Look for something that allows you to switch between grams and ounces and has a tare button so you can zero it out.

My only recommendation is to not buy one by Taylor. The two I had were terrible and were overpriced compared to what's online.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good food scale please. Presently mine is manual with tiny one ounce or gram gradients. Those tiny increments are difficult to see. It has a plastic dish on time which I like because it can be removed and put in the dishwasher. I am beginning to question its accuracy. Would a digital be more accurate?

check the minimum accurate measurement as well. I've seen a few that won't register until 2+ grams (mainly only an issue with oil or creamer).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like this one. It's flat so you can just put whatever dish you are using on it. And always digital!

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-157RR-Glass-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B0051ZOJFQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502815677&sr=8-4&keywords=escali+digital+scale

Plus...it comes in PURPLE! ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little on the small side, but that makes it easier to store it so I'm okay with the trade-off.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I use this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little on the small side, but that makes it easier to store it so I'm okay with the trade-off.

Yeah, I have that one too.

@Polo265, you might be able to use your current dish on the new scale, too. I also use old plastic lids on top of the scale to weigh some things and to just keep it clean. Cool Whip lids fit perfectly.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have that one too.

@Polo265, you might be able to use your current dish on the new scale, too. I also use old plastic lids on top of the scale to weigh some things and to just keep it clean. Cool Whip lids fit perfectly.

Hey, that's a good idea!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    don't forget wallmart. You could have it in by dinner time. Tyler is a good brand for about $20.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I like the OXO Good Grips 5-Pound Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, Black- the slide out piece makes it easy to read with a dinner plate on the scale, and the #5 capacity helps when I weigh completed recipes that I want to portion out. It may cost more (~$29) than some of the other recommendations. I've been using mine multiple times daily for a few years and it's still working.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Weigh-KD-7000-DIGITAL-KITCHEN-FOOD-SOAP-MAKING-SCALE-15-Stainless-Steel-NoAC-/380953578005?epid=710040582&hash=item58b29a4a15:g:ZJQAAOSwe7BWxM1i

It switches easily between oz and grams, and has the tare feature. It has a 13 pound capacity, which is very handy for weighing whole potfuls of a recipe before portioning. It's not the smallest scale out there, but is large enough to hold a dinner plate without needing smaller containers for weighing. The top platter is stainless steel and can go into the dishwasher.

Before using mine for food, I used it for years for apart time soapmaking business. It can take a lot of abuse.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I like the OXO Good Grips 5-Pound Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, Black- the slide out piece makes it easy to read with a dinner plate on the scale, and the #5 capacity helps when I weigh completed recipes that I want to portion out. It may cost more (~$29) than some of the other recommendations. I've been using mine multiple times daily for a few years and it's still working.

I had this same one for years. I recently upgraded to the monster 22-lb version. I can weigh a whole pot of chili, still in the cast iron pot!!! Boo-yah!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I just had a PITA moment with mine, so I will suggest getting one with a large enough base to hold your largest container or pot without sliding off.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

i have the 11 pound version of this. . it helps that i can weight a full crock pot crock when i do a recipe. And the pull out screen is awesome for putting full size dinner plates on it. rather expensive but i used my mobile 20% of coupon from bed bath and beyond.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I second the OXO 22 pound scale! That's the one that I use at home and I love it. It's awesome to be able to weigh huge dishes by the gram, and since a lot of my dishes are really big, the pullout feature is fantastic. It's easy to wipe clean as needed also.

I also have a cheap $11.00 scale from Kroger. It's super slim and portable (it easily fits in my purse). I use it when I travel and at buffets (it seriously, seriously helps with self control if I know that I am actually going to weigh each item I put on my plate!). I am not convinced my travel scale is as accurate however, and it would be annoying to use permanently because it is so small.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have a larger and a smaller OXO. Not super cheap but they've lasted me forever.

Beyond fractional measurements for ounces and a tare function, get a digital scale with a pull out readout. This means that the read out screen can be pulled away from the main scale body. It's super useful and makes it very easy to measure directly on your serving plate (or in other large vessels that would otherwise block the screen).

Also, if you are going to only have one food scale, get a larger model that can handle higher weights. Many of the smaller models max out at 5lbs or so, which means that you sometimes can't weigh the food right in the cooking vessel. This is especially true if you tend to cook in larger quantities for your family or to get multiple meals from one cook.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I have a larger and a smaller OXO. Not super cheap but they've lasted me forever.

Beyond fractional measurements for ounces and a tare function, get a digital scale with a pull out readout. This means that the read out screen can be pulled away from the main scale body. It's super useful and makes it very easy to measure directly on your serving plate (or in other large vessels that would otherwise block the screen).

Also, if you are going to only have one food scale, get a larger model that can handle higher weights. Many of the smaller models max out at 5lbs or so, which means that you sometimes can't weigh the food right in the cooking vessel. This is especially true if you tend to cook in larger quantities for your family or to get multiple meals from one cook.

ditto. Those slow cooker crocks are heavy. Especially useful if you have an insta-pot type pressure cooker/slow cooker that you can buy extra inserts for (and thus can store the soup/etc in the fridge right in the insert rather than having to transfer it to a large bowl so you can wash and re-use the insert).