Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do you think of the HCG diet?

Options
Stacyines
Stacyines Posts: 72 Member
The quickest way I lost 20 lbs was through this diet about two years ago. 4 weeks. I did keep the weight off up until this year, but I was basically starving myself at a 500 calorie cap for those 4 weeks. I did this diet under the supervision of a well reviewed doctor. I had to weigh my food and avoid the use of any oils at all costs. Even when cooking.
I had to inject myself everyday with HCG and every other day with B12. It was by far the hardest diet I've done. If it wasn't for the prescribed Phentramine I would have not made it. Lol.

Any thoughts on this controversial weightloss program? Did anybody else try it?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No, just no
  • TartsAndTattoos
    TartsAndTattoos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are no quick fixes or miracle shots. Anyone can lose weight starving themselves. 500 calories a day isn't even enough to maintain proper organ function. No one will maintain that though. Stop dieting. Learn to meal prep and start some cardio/ weight training. Start slow, you want to figure what works for the long run. Stop giving your hard earned money to fads and gimmicks- use it for shoes when you hit your goals :)
  • Stacyines
    Options
    HCG diet is banned? There's many doctors here in CA that actually revolve their business around it. Doctor definitely provided HCG injections. I did my research prior to doing this diet and the doctor. Extremely controversial, but didn't really see negative side effects. My energy levels were good. I only had trouble sleeping because I had so much energy.
    Not planning to do it again, but wanted an opinion it since these diets have a doctor following.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Were you able to keep the weight off? I know of 2 people who did this but they regained the weight. This isn't something I'd personally do and you won't get any positive feedback on it here.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    HCG diet is banned? There's many doctors here in CA that actually revolve their business around it. Doctor definitely provided HCG injections. I did my research prior to doing this diet and the doctor. Extremely controversial, but didn't really see negative side effects. My energy levels were good. I only had trouble sleeping because I had so much energy.
    Not planning to do it again, but wanted an opinion it since these diets have a doctor following.

Again, what is the issue with a reasonable calorie deficit?

ETA: this diet is dangerous and promoting it on this site is against the forum rules (all hail).
  • Stacyines
    edited August 2017
    Options
    BZAH10 - Yes, for two years actually! I just gained it back a couple of months ago, but I was drinking ALOT.

3bambi3 - That was the thing with HCG. There's debate that HCG would trick the body into believing it was full without slowing the metabolism. My metabolism has always been slow and at my average 1,200 to 1,500 calorie deficit the weight stayed the same or slowly dropped. That's why I tried HCG two years ago. Aside from the doctor monitoring my progress and blood tests, I also had to see a nutritionist weekly.

I'm not promoting it. I was trying to view input on it from other people who have knowledge of it.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 - Yes, for two years actually! I just gained it back a couple of months ago, but I was drinking ALOT.

3bambi3 - That was the thing with HCG. There's debate that HCG would trick the body into believing it was full without slowing the metabolism. My metabolism has always been slow and at my average 1,200 to 1,500 calorie deficit the weight stayed the same or slowly dropped. That's why I tried HCG two years ago. Aside from the doctor monitoring my progress and blood tests, I also had to see a nutritionist weekly.

No. There are no peer reviewed articles that state HCG will 'trick your body into believing it is full.' How do you know your metabolism is slow? Did your doctors test your metabolism? How do you know you weren't underestimating your calorie intake? Really, I think you'd want to examine the simple solutions before starving yourself. And 500 calories a day is literally starving yourself.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The doctor who prescribed this should have their license taken away. HCG works by placebo effect. If you are only consuming 500 calories a day of course you are going to lose. Even if you consumed 1200 calories a day you would probably lose as well if in fact you are truly only consuming those calories. Every person I've heard of doing HCG may have lost a few pounds, but then rebounded back plus some. Save your money and eat within a reasonable calorie deficit and have patience.
  • Stacyines
    Options
    3bambi3 - That's why I brought this diet up. There's mixed ramping of reviews on this diet. Many negative denouncing it because of calorie deficiency and others standing by it. Yes, my metabolism has been proven by doctors to be slow. I also have bowel issues due to a fiber dependency.
    I did this two years ago. Again, not planning on doing it again. I wanted input on how others viewed this diet and if anyone else ever tried it.

Cathipia- It's acceptable in CA. Yeah, that's why I asked about HCG effects. If it scientifically impacted the body in reference to metabolism. There's studies, but very limited. Like I told 3bambi3, mixed reaction from many articles I've read.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

mph323 wrote: »
    The quickest way I lost 20 lbs was through this diet about two years ago. 4 weeks. I did keep the weight off up until this year, but I was basically starving myself at a 500 calorie cap for those 4 weeks. I did this diet under the supervision of a well reviewed doctor. I had to weigh my food and avoid the use of any oils at all costs. Even when cooking.
    I had to inject myself everyday with HCG and every other day with B12. It was by far the hardest diet I've done. If it wasn't for the prescribed Phentramine I would have not made it. Lol.

Any thoughts on this controversial weightloss program? Did anybody else try it?

What was your starting weight? Was the Dr. part of a weight-loss practice? Phentermine is commonly prescribed appetite suppressor and tends to have an energizing effect, it would be my guess that eating 500 calories using an appetite suppressor drug is the reason for the drastic weight loss and the rest was just expensive woo.

Isn't hgc horse piss.

Snorting my coffee now...
This discussion has been closed.