Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Rachel7575 wrote: »
    tgcakef wrote: »
    Have I tried it? No.
    Does it work? If you are in caloric deficit, anything will work.

More to the point, is it necessary? No. Is it a smart idea? No. Restriction diets, and fad diets are rarely a good idea, both health wise, and weight loss wise. You will likely put any weight you lost right back on. In addition, weight lost is likely water weight.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit. If you want to lose weight healthily, eat a variety of food with a reasonable caloric deficit. If you want to keep the weight off, understand that this is a lifestyle change, and ensure that the 'diet' you are on is sustainable.

Thanks for your input, at this point I feel like I've tried everything.. that's why when I saw this I didn't think it would be bad, but I see the downfall it has.

Have you tried....
    Entering your stats, goal, and reasonable rate of loss in MFP
    Letting MFP calculate a target calorie goal with a deficit built in
    Eating a variety of foods within that calorie goal that provide nutrition, satiety and enjoyment
    Logging everything you eat as accurately and honestly as possible, ideally using a food scale
    Exercising for a number of fitness benefits and eating back a portion of those calories when you log them in MFP
    Being patient and consistent and having realistic expectations about your results?

Because I guarantee if you do that, you will see the long term results you are looking for and build habits that you can carry from weight loss to weight maintenance... and will no longer feel like you need to "try everything".

Not nearly as hard as the "military diet" either.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Is it time for this again?

Let's see...

Apple cider vinegar - check
    Green smoothie cleanse - check
    Water fasting - check
    Military diet - in progress
    Raspberry ketones - on deck

Yup.

When is detox tea coming up?

Right after the raspberry ketones. And for anyone interested, coconut oil comes up after that.

We already had coconut oil.

Ah, right - round 1157 doesn't come up until the last thread is at least 2 pages back. <makes note>
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    We really need a general sticky for all those "what about the (eating ridiculously low calories) diet" threads.

But then we'd have to assign someone to update it every other day to debunk the latest woo :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I read about the military diet, you can lose up to 10 pounds in 3 days. Has anyone tried it and does it really work?

10 pounds in 3 days......let's check the math.

10 x 3,500 = 35,000 / 3 = 11,667 calorie deficit. Even if you ate NOTHING and ran several marathons each day, you still couldn't come up with the 11,667 calorie deficit required.

The TDEE (maintenance) for a 20 year old, very active, 7' tall, 600 pound man is 8,992 calories.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This Fax Diet, 3-Day Diet, Cleveland Clinic Diet (name changes......same nonsense) has been around for decades. BTW - the Cleveland Clinic successfully sued to have their name removed. The new name "Military" is too generic to be sued for......good marketing.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Perfect..... I've been missing for a while... I also need a tune up. ;-)
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I want to be thrown in a prison without food for 10 days. I heard I can lose 4-5 pounds with this.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    I want to be thrown in a prison without food for 10 days. I heard I can lose 4-5 pounds with this.

ah yes. The hostage diet. Next big thing!

Yeah. You don't even have to do anything. Other people do it for you. So cool.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

ah yes. The hostage diet. Next big thing!

Yeah. You don't even have to do anything. Other people do it for you. So cool.

easiest diet there is. Lets make it a thing. Not anymore stupid thn some of the stuff i see here daily...
  • misnomer1
    Options
    just having fun OP, plz dont mind.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    just having fun OP, plz dont mind.

• Rachel7575
    Rachel7575 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why ask the question to just ignore the advice?

I appreciate the advice.. the sarcastic comments not so much :)
  • Rachel7575
    Rachel7575 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    tgcakef wrote: »
    Have I tried it? No.
    Does it work? If you are in caloric deficit, anything will work.

More to the point, is it necessary? No. Is it a smart idea? No. Restriction diets, and fad diets are rarely a good idea, both health wise, and weight loss wise. You will likely put any weight you lost right back on. In addition, weight lost is likely water weight.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit. If you want to lose weight healthily, eat a variety of food with a reasonable caloric deficit. If you want to keep the weight off, understand that this is a lifestyle change, and ensure that the 'diet' you are on is sustainable.

Thanks for your input, at this point I feel like I've tried everything.. that's why when I saw this I didn't think it would be bad, but I see the downfall it has.

Have you tried....
    Entering your stats, goal, and reasonable rate of loss in MFP
    Letting MFP calculate a target calorie goal with a deficit built in
    Eating a variety of foods within that calorie goal that provide nutrition, satiety and enjoyment
    Logging everything you eat as accurately and honestly as possible, ideally using a food scale
    Exercising for a number of fitness benefits and eating back a portion of those calories when you log them in MFP
    Being patient and consistent and having realistic expectations about your results?

Because I guarantee if you do that, you will see the long term results you are looking for and build habits that you can carry from weight loss to weight maintenance... and will no longer feel like you need to "try everything".

I believe I have all of that down pact except for the "being patient" part.. it's so frustrating :( but yes I do log my food in MFP not so much the exercise because I don't feel it's accurate versus calories out