How long do your gym sessions last?

Options
lazygingerbread
lazygingerbread Posts: 12 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm just curious to know what other people consider a good length for a gym session/how much long manage each time (especially those with busy lives!)

I don't track closely but my sessions recently tend to last 45-90 mins each time (depending on whether I do a bit of cardio/ how long rests between sets are), and I aim for 3/4 times a week (although some weeks I'm lucky to fit in 2!). Any more than this and I feel like I'm avoiding my workload/other errands. These sessions are usually a mixture of cardio, free weights, body weight exercises and weight machines.

Just wondered (nosy) what other people do! (and no judging other people's routines please, keep it friendly

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I typically spend 45min- an hour tops at the gym. I super-set all my weights and only take 30 second rests so I am working as hard as I can in that time, but I hate spending hours at the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No more than an hour in the weight room a couple days per week. My weekday rides are typically around 40-45 minutes...I usually have a longer ride on Saturday...maybe 90 - 120 minutes, but sometimes just 60.

I spend more time and get in more miles cycling when I'm purposefully training for an event...but I bring it back down afterwards. I used to train like I was going to go out and ride a century on any given day and that ultimately resulted in me having less enjoyment of my bike and burnout...not to mention an injury that kept me sidelined for over 3 months and then another 2-3 months of really light activity.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes depending on which week of my training block I'm in. Shortest being the week I deload and longest the week before that.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Typically 90-120 minutes.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    As long as needed and depending on my workout of the day, but usually between 60 and 90 minutes. I can go as long as two hours if I extend my cool-down/stretches exercises. Actually, I can live in the gym if I didn't have a husband at home ;)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    15-20 min for cardio.. and 45-75min for lifting (including warmup and rest)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    right now i'm at 2-3 hours 4 times a week, but its kinda dominating everything and making my s/o upset. after my meet, i'm gonna cut it in half for a while
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm in and out in not too much more than half an hour. I do only a five minute warmup and I only have a few exercises that I do multiple sets on (legs mostly), the upper body stuff I just do one set till failure and done. I spend much more time on cardio activities but I don't do cardio at the gym.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I generally do a 20 min warmup, 20 to 30 minutes on the stairmaster and then 60 to 70 minutes lifting weights 4 days per week. I walk or swim on the other days. I like being at the gym though and have the time in the morning so it's working for me.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I follow PHUL, so it varies between each day. My upper power can take about 2 hours, the other days are between an 1 and 1.5 hours.

Bit difficult to super set stuff because it can get fairly busy at the gym I go to. I also take longer rest periods during my heavy compound lifts, along with doing multiple warm up sets. So those usually take up a lot of the time.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm running a high frequency powerlifting program, and I'm generally in the gym for 1.5-2 hours, five days a week. That includes warmups and two main compound movements (squat/bench/DL and variations) plus three or four accessories each day. I take 3-5 minute rests on the compounds, 1-2 minutes on the accessories.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    The gym is my sanctuary but have little ones at home so after they go to bed I go to an EMPTY gym for at least 1.5 to 2 hours at a time at least 3 times a week. I have a favorite 10 mile walk I also do at least once a week so I can be outside.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Whatever is needed. 45 minutes to 3+ hours.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Everybody will be different according to their specific goals. You might be better off asking how people with your goals are lifting

I'm a powerlifter, so my training includes more rest in between sets the higher intensity I train.

Two hours x 3 days a week.

I'm looking to lower the time by adding a day and reprogramming after my meet.
  • recognitionscene
    recognitionscene Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Morning routine: Jillian Michael's Beginner Shred 5x/week and 8 Minute Arms (10 lb weights) or Buns (it is kind of retro, but I still love it) 4x/week
    Gym routine: 1 hour on the elliptical 4x/week
    Once a week I do P90x Stretch because it feels good and is relaxing.

I weigh 230 pounds and I've only been exercising regularly for a couple months, but I am feeling really good with this routine. It is enough so that I can feel that I've been working out without making me uncomfortably sore.

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Used to do 2 HR sessions lot of recovery, lighter weight.

Now just doing very good quality 30 mins to 45 mins minimal recovery between.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    45 mins 5x a week for lifting.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm in a women's boxing group and we meet 3 days a week for 2 hour. The first hours is weights and conditioning while the second is boxing training. Those are my longer workout days. With the remaining 4 days in the week 2 are for jogs or some type of light cardio 30-60min and 2 are rest days where I sometimes do yoga or go for a hike but mostly relax.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I try to pack in as much as possible in an hour. Anything over that is cool down/stretches.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,120 Member
    Options
    30 mins cardio, 12 minutes ab crunches....20-25 minutes lifting...daily