Protein Intake

Options

Replies

• anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There are tons of non-meat protein options, and your trainer is correct that one gram per pound of body weight is optimal for gaining muscle and losing fat (try googling that and you'll find plenty of evidence). Just anecdotally, I started strength training two months ago and added protein at 1g per pound of body weight. I did body comp before and after and in those two months managed to lose 7 pounds and gain 2 pounds of lean mass for a net loss of 9 pounds of fat, which is a pretty incredible result. A lot of women have no idea that the protein recommendations out there for us are not enough to even maintain our muscle mass. It's no wonder we lose muscle as we age (not that insufficient protein is the only factor!). Anyway, there are some great high protein pancake mixes, baking mixes, yogurts, pastas, puddings, ice creams, and other products out there that you can try out that really make getting enough protein pretty easy--especially if you hate protein shakes like I do! Start googling and you'll find them (or peek into the diaries of some strength focused folks--I found a lot of good foods that way!).
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that 10 to 35 percent of your caloric intake should come from protein. The average individual should have 0.35 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day, meaning that someone who weighs 165 pounds should consume around 60 grams per day. The recommended amount of protein increases as we get older and if we are trying to gain muscle. ACSM points out "this level of intake can generally be met through diet alone and without additional protein and amino acid supplementation."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that 10 to 35 percent of your caloric intake should come from protein. The average individual should have 0.35 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day, meaning that someone who weighs 165 pounds should consume around 60 grams per day. The recommended amount of protein increases as we get older and if we are trying to gain muscle. ACSM points out "this level of intake can generally be met through diet alone and without additional protein and amino acid supplementation."

Her trainer is recommending 1 g per lb of body weight, which is way higher than what you are suggesting. (I just can't tell what your point is -- if you are saying that you don't need to consume that much, I agree, but there are reasons someone might want to try doing so.)

I happen to think that 1 g/lb of body weight is higher than necessary, even for muscle building (I haven't seen anything suggesting benefits for muscle maintenance/gain beyond about a g per lb of LBM, although if she is close to goal weight--which I'd guess--it's worth trying if she doesn't find it too hard and wants to see if it's helpful with satiety).

OP, I'm a similar weight, and I think around 100 g is fine, although I often eat more like 120 just because that's how I enjoy eating. I found that when I cut carbs I end up a little higher on protein, especially.

If you are already at about 100 g I'd say just look at your logs and cut back a bit on lower protein things that don't fit your macros so well and increase servings of higher protein things (or add them in to meals that are lower protein).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 Thanks for your thoughts. I agree I need to watch calories as well as add protein. I think my hardest obstacle will be trying to eat clean and cut wine.

At 5'5" 126lbs you are already fairly light. You might want to consider recomp - eating at maintenance and focusing on slowly building muscle.

For what it's worth, I don't eat "clean" and I drink a glass of wine or a beer several nights a week. I just make sure I'm getting enough nutritious food and aiming for my protein and fiber goals (90g and 25g). Otherwise I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories.

Also for what it's worth, personal trainers should not be giving nutrition advice unless they are also certified in that (most aren't).

Best of luck :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, August 15, 2017, I planned my food for the day. At that point I observed that my breakfast, lunch, and dinner each had planned 30 grams of protein. I hadn't tried to achieve that, and I couldn't have made it any better.
    My diary is open and you can have a look.

As it turned out, I did a bunch of cardio, earned a lot more calories and macros, and ate more protein late to get all the protein I was budgeted for. Once again, I probably wasted some of the protein intake by having too much with the post-exercise meal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need some help in understanding Protein Intake and trying to lose weight and body fat. I've got the calorie counting down however my trainer suggested I eat more protein (ideally my body weight) and reduce carbs, sugar and bad fats. She feels if I eat more protein it will help me lose body fat and gain muscle.
    Any information I would truly appreciate.

Earing more protein won't do what she is saying. However, the 1 gram/lb of body weight is a good target. When losing weight, (eating at a deficit) keeping your protein intake high helps limit the amount of muscle lost. Also important is doing strength training during this time. Ideally the only weight you want to lose is body fat. That's usually not completely possible, but you'll want to maximize fat loss & minimize lean mass loss by eating higher protein and strength training. And as always, to lose weight/fat, total calories matter most.

eating protein does not limit muscle loss...doing resistance or weight lifting does...and I see you say that later but...

and 1 gram per lb of weight is a bit high...0.8 grams is a good amount...1gram per lb of LBM maybe...

Actually it does (even if only minimally) and even more so when combined. Low protein & strength training will lose more LBM than high protein & strength training.

okay so explain to me how eating protein (in enough of a quantity) prevent muscle loss?

and of course Low protein + Strength training will lose more than high protein with strength training..that's common sense...

but low protein + strength training and high protein no strength training would prove a better comparison.

based on my reading...strength training is the key...aka use it or lose it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I need some help in understanding Protein Intake and trying to lose weight and body fat. I've got the calorie counting down however my trainer suggested I eat more protein (ideally my body weight) and reduce carbs, sugar and bad fats. She feels if I eat more protein it will help me lose body fat and gain muscle.

Earing more protein won't do what she is saying. However, the 1 gram/lb of body weight is a good target. When losing weight, (eating at a deficit) keeping your protein intake high helps limit the amount of muscle lost. Also important is doing strength training during this time. Ideally the only weight you want to lose is body fat. That's usually not completely possible, but you'll want to maximize fat loss & minimize lean mass loss by eating higher protein and strength training. And as always, to lose weight/fat, total calories matter most.

eating protein does not limit muscle loss...doing resistance or weight lifting does...and I see you say that later but...

and 1 gram per lb of weight is a bit high...0.8 grams is a good amount...1gram per lb of LBM maybe...

Actually it does (even if only minimally) and even more so when combined. Low protein & strength training will lose more LBM than high protein & strength training.

okay so explain to me how eating protein (in enough of a quantity) prevent muscle loss?

and of course Low protein + Strength training will lose more than high protein with strength training..that's common sense...

but low protein + strength training and high protein no strength training would prove a better comparison.

It's not going to prevent it completely, but less LBM will be lost at higher protein intake than lower protein intake. It's a very small difference, but measurable enough in the studies performed. It's probably not going to make or break anyone's weight loss, and yes strength training is the more important factor.
  • carriesheph
    carriesheph Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @ BigNate17 Thank You for responding and sharing your thoughts. I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed by everyone's responses. Fortunately, I'm not a stupid person regarding exercise but not the greatest when it comes to my own nutrition. I'm learning.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Hi,

It's not going to prevent it completely, but less LBM will be lost at higher protein intake than lower protein intake. It's a very small difference, but measurable enough in the studies performed. It's probably not going to make or break anyone's weight loss, and yes strength training is the more important factor.

still no explaination sorry...please link the studies...on how just eating protein in sufficient quantities helps minimize lbm loss...

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    BigNate17 wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    @gebeziseva thanks for your response. I can do 100g but if I do my weight 126 ib it's very difficult. Y other challenge is trying to cut carbs as much as I can. I love pasta, rice and breads, ugh

I would recommend 100gr protein regardless of your weight. You won't be able to assimilate more than that anyway.
    In fact even 100gr might be too much.

100g regardless of weight? You can't assimilate more than 100g of protein anyway? Please educate yourself first before ever giving anyone advice.

I have educated myself.

From the site of NHS (UK's national health service):

"The Department of Health advises adults to avoid consuming more than twice the recommended daily intake of protein (55.5g for men and 45g for women)."

Edited to add:
    The quote comes right after this sentence:

"There is also evidence that, in the long term, consuming too much protein can lead to an increased risk of osteoporosis and can also worsen existing kidney problems. "

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160127132741.htm - summary of a study with young men, focusing on building muscle during a deficit so slightly off-topic but interesting
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027 - pub med abstract of a study with athletes
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665330/ - NIH funded study of over-weight, post-menopausal women
    https://www.completehumanperformance.com/dieting-protein-needs/ - article on the subject which has a bibliography you could look at - I didn't take the time
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I aim for a minimum of 120g of Protein a day. Today I'm at 156g, this seems to work fine for me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hi,

still no explaination sorry...please link the studies...on how just eating protein in sufficient quantities helps minimize lbm loss...

You can use Google just like I did.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    High protein, moderate fat, low carbs. Best way to shed body fat and build lean muscle. Calorie surplus will mean weight gain. Calorie deficit will mean weight loss. Feel free to ask any questions you may have

I thought you were eating Keto? I guess not
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    High protein, moderate fat, low carbs. Best way to shed body fat and build lean muscle. Calorie surplus will mean weight gain. Calorie deficit will mean weight loss. Feel free to ask any questions you may have

High protein is not a ketogenic diet. Protein is as insulogenic as carbs are, so you're not staying in ketosis with a high protein intake.

And keto is not magic. It's also far from the best way to build lean muscle, as fat is not anabolic.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Here is a good target to aim for according to examine.com (a science based website) if you are not obese:
    • If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.
    • If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.
    • If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

For those who are obese trying to lose weight, the above recommendations are best calculated with target weight not with current weight, which makes sense because extra fat does not need extra protein.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Hi,

You can use Google just like I did.

of course I could but you are the one asserting bogus information the onus of proof is on you...as I would love to see a study that indicates that...you know learning etc.

but I expect this is done and I will continue one with my understanding that extra protein will help keep you feeling fuller but it will not build muscle with another stimulus such as a progressive load lifting program.