How do you work 9-5 and meal plan?

Options
124»

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    It DOES NOT TAKE HOURS to cut vegetables. Takes me about two hours on Sundays to shop for AND prep breakfasts and lunches for the week.

Breakfasts are pre-portioned, frozen fruit for smoothies, lunches are salads. I was really worried about the vegetables getting soggy but they don't -- I just keep a bottle of non-perishable dressing at my desk and boil up some eggs for a couple of days in advance to make a cobb salad. I pretty much always prep on Sundays for M-F.

Dinners are 15-20 minute recipes because I like to experiment, but usually stir fry with rice noodles -- the noodles take 8-12 minutes in hot water to cook, during which time I chop my veg. You can pre-cut your veg and put it in baggies for dinners.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    buy frozen or bagged veggies if you can spare the money- look at lots of youtube video- you can stirfry, baked steam etc. to get it done
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    At least you don't have insane hours (5p-1a here). What I tend to do is make an extra large lunch and divide it in half, saving and reheating the other half for dinner when I get home.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You're young and it'll take time to learn your routine. I remember feeling the same way once I was out on my own. Now I have a good routine going. I work full time (7-3:30), pick up kids from school, do homework while starting dinner. Weekends are key. I sit down every sunday and plan our meals for the week. I have to plan in at least 2 crockpot dinners or others easy to throw together to keep my sanity. I keep it pretty simple during the week and cook a more elaborate meal on Sundays. I chop and prep veggies when I get home from the store. I tend to do more than one meal with the same protein. So if I make a dish with ground beef on Monday, I'll make another on Thursday. I cook the meat once and divide for two meals.

Good options to get started are frozen bagged veggies, "grab and go" fruit like clementines/bananas/apples, baby carrots, rotisserie chicken or pre-pattied beef/turkey burgers. Keep your cooking methods simple too.

Don't stress....you'll get it down in no time!
  • luv2knit71
    luv2knit71 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Learn to love leftovers. When you cook, cook a little extra and reserve for the next night, or for lunch the following day. I try to make one new thing a week (this week was zucchini tots from skinnytaste.com) and when you cook your basics, have enough to get you through the next few days. Also - find quick and easy things and make them regularly when you do not have the energy to cook. A piece of whole wheat toast with a smear of ricotta and a fried egg with some onion/green pepper on top makes a great quick meal. Got avocado - throw a couple slices on the egg and let it get all melty and delish. 5 minute meal. Find your staples and forgive yourself if you don't make a full fledged recipe.
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to cook a large amount of food (I mastered flavoring rice and finding the best veggies to pair with the spices), putting it in a freezer bag in portions and freezing them for the week. I nuked servings in the microwave on my lunch break or reheated in the evenings when I was too tired to prepare anything. There are a lot of options that would reheat well, just Google some recipes.

Another thing that has helped A LOT is Soylent. It's not for everyone, but I personally love it and find it way easier to stay healthy when I'm drinking Soylent to fill in the gaps when I'd eat junk otherwise. Super nutritious, easy to measure calories, super fast to prepare.
  • Baby_Bear24
    Baby_Bear24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    My mom used to cook dinner in our home. Now that i am on my own and working 9-5 at a desk job with a long train commute, i have no time and am so tired by the end of the day. How am i supposed to plan and prep my dinners so they are healthy? No one taught me how to do this. I need help. What's your best advice for staying on top of this necessary aspect of life?

Remember simple is best. Pick one or two proteins (chicken or eggs etc) for the week and 2 or 3 vegetables, and easy fruits that don't go bad quickly (apples, grape fruit, oranges, bananas). Pre cook your meats on Saturday or Sunday. Should carry you through your week. Nut proteins help alot for snacking between meals too and they keep you full.