Cardio and Metabolism

Options
Today I was told that I do way too much cardio and can completely mess up my metabolism. Is this true? I'm loving what I'm doing.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make much sense to me, on the surface of it, as long as you're eating enough to fuel it (i.e. not losing weight faster than about 1% of body weight weekly).

How much cardio, of what type, are you doing? If you're losing weight, how fast?
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Daily I do this:

60 min arc trainer and 20-25 elliptical and 20-25 treadmill
    That's my routine of choice. I might mix it up a bit or do a little less. Usually totals about 1100-1500 calories per time.

I was told by a friend who is well recognized in the medical field.

I'm definitely losing weight, 2-4lbs a week...sometimes 1-2. I think I eat properly.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Metabolism is the rate at which your body uses fuel (fat, muscle, added nutrients aka food) in order to be alive. Doing cardio increases blood flow and heart rate, which increases the rate at which you are using fuel, that's why it "burns calories". Using a lot of fuel without refueling (going way under your recommendation for daily calorie intake) can lead to your body no longer functioning well, and quite often malnutrition.

Do your cardio, eat well, which includes not only proper calories but nutritionally sound as well. Try not to go too low on a calorie deficit and you will be fine. You will lose fat and be healthier.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Daily I do this:

That's my routine of choice. I might mix it up a bit or do a little less. Usually totals about 1100-1500 calories per time.

I'm definitely losing weight, 2-4lbs a week...sometimes 1-2. I think I eat properly.

I don't know how much you weigh but losing more than 2lbs a week would be considered too quick.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Daily I do this:

Doing 90 minutes a day in cardio is not excessive. It's high, but nothing so outlandish as to be dangerous. Just make sure you eat back your calories. Don't go too far into deficit. 500cal/day is a good amount. That would be 1lb per week without risking muscle loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Daily I do this:

If you average 2 pounds a week (let alone more), but weigh less than 200 pounds, that could be risky, and might be what your friend is getting at.

Losing more than about 1% if your body weight weekly is risky, and it should be even less than that as you get within roughly 50 pounds or less above goal weight. "Metabolic damage" isn't the term I'd use for that risk - though some would, as shorthand - but losing too fast can be unhealthful, and affect your longer-term strength and vitality negatively.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Daily I do this:

What specialty is your friend in? This sounds more like popular woo than verifiable science.

Nothing wrong with your plan, just ensure you are properly fueling your workouts.

Our metabolisms are quite resilient and what they are likely referring to (and interpreting incorrectly) is short term adaptive thermogenesis. This is a phenomenon that occurs to temporarily raise or lower your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) to account for the amount of food ingested. Think of this in terms of adding wood to a fireplace - the more fuel over set time, the hotter the fire. The less fuel over the same amount of time - the cooler the fire.

What is your end goal? Is this for increased endurance/performance or more aesthetic? Have you looked into a progressive weight lifting program? Simply amazing what this can do for you and far more efficient use of time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Very low calories and excessive cardio is going to be a net negative...if you're properly fueling your workouts, it isn't an issue. I do more cardio than that when I'm training for a cycling event...but I also ramp up the food to adequately fuel that additional activity...

You would also highly benefit from working in some resistance training rather than just doing incessant cardio...