(LADIES) Birth Control?

Options

Replies

• leannahope222
    leannahope222 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like the patches however most doctors wont give them some will they have risk just like all birth control and I dont use birth control while I am dieting or exercise we just use other protection I feel that the two types of birth control has not made me losses or gain but have kept me where I could not losse it so it stabilize it for me anyhow
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been on Seasonique for several years now, and I love it. It is a 90 day cycle, but within the first few cycles I pretty much stopped getting my period altogether. When I went off of the pill for two months (long story, nothing to do with the pill) my period came right back as normal, so it doesn't appear to mess with my system too much.

I was curious about the difference between Seasonique and Seasonale which was mentioned above, and this is what I found:

Seasonique vs. Seasonale. ... With Seasonale, women take inactive pills during their four yearly periods. With Seasonique, they get a low dose of estrogen during their period, which may provide benefits including less breakthrough bleeding, Barr Pharmaceuticals spokeswoman Carol Cox tells WebMD.
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    does it have to be a pill? I have the implant and that does me so much good!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used mirena and depo for over about 20 years...not saying they are perfect but I liked them..

Only stopped as i had a tubal and an ablation done this spring...I hate ovulating btw...it sucks.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    idabest777 wrote: »
    I've been on Seasonale for 8 years now and I love it. One of my favourite things about it is that it's a 90 day cycle, I can't imagine going back to getting my period every month. The only side effect I experienced was a very common one where for the first pack (3 months) there was some spotting but since then it has been smooth sailing.

I am right there with you! I've been on generic Seasonale for over 10 years and there's nothing better. I've become so used to only four periods a year that I had a co-worker ask me for a tampon, and then of course a month later she comes back around and asks for another one, and I'm like "AGAIN?!" but... have to realize I'm not the norm LOL.

I've taken Quasense through college, and then after I graduated and went to another doctor, she kept putting me on this other one (the generic name escapes me) and I would literally cry at everything. Then a couple of years ago was put on another generic which I don't think it even had a name, but I had a lot of breakthrough spotting. Now I've been on Introvale since June and some spotting but not a whole lot. Maybe the extra spotting is due to me getting older? Who knows. My mood is fine and everything seems to be in order so far.

However no matter what pill I'm on, I always have a heavy period that lasts a solid 7 days. Always, always, always.
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I've been on Alesse for a few years and Yaz before that and Ortho Tri-Cyclen before that. I've been on them for about 12 years now.

I've never had notable side effects with any of them, honestly. I think I've been lucky. Short, light periods, no acne, no weight gain, no mood swings, nothing.

I am hoping to get an IUD soon. I've been on hormones for so long that I want to see what it's like with a lower, focused dose (Mirena) or no hormones at all (Paragard). I haven't decided which yet. All I know is I'm sick of taking pills, IUDs seem so much easier!

I know this doesn't help OP, but ever since I got my Paragard, my life has been so much better. I can't rave about it enough. All the side effects from hormonal birth control are gone, depression/anxiety, low libido, etc. The paragard lasts slightly longer than the smaller hormonal ones which is also a plus for me. I would recommend an IUD, particularly the copper Paragard one, to anyone. Granted, I know everyone is different and some people do have bad experiences, so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess. lol
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I hate pills, you have to keep remembering. I have the implant. No weight gain on it and last 4years now
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I've been on Alesse for a few years and Yaz before that and Ortho Tri-Cyclen before that. I've been on them for about 12 years now.

I've never had notable side effects with any of them, honestly. I think I've been lucky. Short, light periods, no acne, no weight gain, no mood swings, nothing.

I am hoping to get an IUD soon. I've been on hormones for so long that I want to see what it's like with a lower, focused dose (Mirena) or no hormones at all (Paragard). I haven't decided which yet. All I know is I'm sick of taking pills, IUDs seem so much easier!

I know this doesn't help OP, but ever since I got my Paragard, my life has been so much better. I can't rave about it enough. All the side effects from hormonal birth control are gone, depression/anxiety, low libido, etc. The paragard lasts slightly longer than the smaller hormonal ones which is also a plus for me. I would recommend an IUD, particularly the copper Paragard one, to anyone. Granted, I know everyone is different and some people do have bad experiences, so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess. lol

Thank you! I have heard really good things about it. I know some people start with some really heavy periods but I've heard they get back to normal after some time. I'm definitely leaning towards the copper IUD. I've been on hormones since I was a teenager so I'd like to experience life without them.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Not at all worth posting or helpful in anyway but...

Im allergic to birthcontrol :'( lol
  • Lgcoulter33
    Lgcoulter33 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm on lutera. Very low dose with very few side effects. I can't take higher doses, last one i was on before this, mononessa, i bled for 23 days straight.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like I might be sensitive to estrogen since I'm experiencing all the side effects ... in any case, I have an appointment to meet with my gyno in a few weeks.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I didn't get along with any pills or the implant (the implant wrecked my body, it is still recovering now). So for both our sanity we just use condoms. No weight gain, no mood swings, no insatiable appetite, libido returned to normal, periods are regular, no excessive sweating, I could go on... Those pills are not good for you I'm sure.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was on the microgestin for years. When they stopped making it, my dr. gave me Junel, which is supposed to be more or less the same. I did the IUD thing for a year, and without going into too much detail, let me just say it ended badly. I will never do that again. But I find I react to Junel in exactly the same way as the microgestin. I think they are very very similar if not exactly the same.

What happened to you as a result of taking Junel? My doctor just gave me this, and I am nervous about taking this because of all of the stories of depression and feeling tired/lethargic. Would you share your experiences? Thank you so much!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've been on Cryselle for 3 years now with no complaints at all
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yasmin for 6 years. No weight issues.. might have lost a few pounds. No other side effects whatsoever
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I take seasonique I get my period every 3 months on it but I don't really know if it causes weight gain cause i don't care it's better then a pregnancy belly lol
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I loved Ortho tricyclen lo. I was on it and a couple different generics for over 10 years with no side effects, except lighter periods and less cramping. I have a Mirena IUD now.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've been on a generic of Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about a year now and have had no ill effects. Before that, I was on Yaz, but I couldn't deal with the 3 day long migraines I would get every time I started a new pack.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Returning touch base ... just met with my gyno and she recommended Lo Loestrin to see if a lower dose of estrogen helps. Fingers crossed!