Fad Exercise Workouts and Trend - What's your input on it?

Options
So I'm considering in taking a couple of Aerial Fitness classes. Dangling in a hula hoop or aerial silks seem too fun to pass up.

But question is -
Do you prefer class workshops over the gym? Are they more results driven?

Class workshop examples : Barre, Spinning, Hot Yoga, HIIT, Bootcamp, etc.

Replies

• getmeowthofhere
    getmeowthofhere Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I do both classes and the gym, but find certain classes to be more fun than the gym, which makes me more likely to workout. I personally love pole dance fitness and aerial fitness. Working out is a lot more fun when spinning upside down. They both do a lot of flexibility and strength training too. They hurt a bit at first though just because your skin has to toughen up to being wrapped in silks to support your body weight, and contact with the pole bruises the hell out of you. The worst by far though is trapeze. The rope burn is too real.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have a friend who started with pole, then went to hula hooping and silks and now she does aerobatics and she is one of my hottest, most ridiculously fit friends. Not to mention she has mad skillz. I think classes like that have the added advantage of teaching you something new and cool, so it maintains interest, but I also think that wanting to get better at them will necessitate doing other workouts (like going to the gym) so you have the strength to get better.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I take spinning classes approx. once a week during the autumn, winter and spring because I find that they supplement my outdoor cycling.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. You can do a number of different things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'm a runner, i don't do classes or the gym - though i do have a home gym with a weights bench and stationary bike.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    What you stick with is the activity with the beat results.
    I personally don't like any type of group/ class activity. I like my own pace.
    You should try a bunch of different things to see what you like, then stick with it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Personal preference - I prefer to work out at home, I hate group classes. Though I would be tempted by aerial silks, etc I can't justify the cost at the moment. Whatever you find that you enjoy, that you can stick at and that gives you the results you are after is the best really.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think that if it gets someone interested and excited and off their *kitten*, then I say go for it, especially 1) they are cleared for exercise and 2) it is run by someone certified/reputable for that activity so that it can be safely done (whatever that is). I think people who hate exercise tend to define exercise very narrowly, so if there is something that they see that looks fun and allows them to lead a more active life, I am for it, whether that is a class at the gym, Youtube at home, or outside in nature.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    for stuff like that, I prefer classes. I used to take belly dancing classes and it was super fun! Great motivation when you are in a room of excited dancing people. But it depends on the teacher. I moved and say there was a belly dancing class in my new area and it was terrible!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about what appeals to you individually.

I personally prefer my exercise time to be a solitary, meditative type thing and loathe classes.

I have a gym membership to Planet Fitness just to get out of the house (and sometimes use the cable machines) on occasion, but rarely use it.

I'm a runner, and have home equipment for strength training and mostly work from home.

That's the plan I like and can stick with.

Other's mileage may vary.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love learning new things, so I really enjoy the workshop style classes. Costs usually prevents me from making them part of my regular routine, but they are fun to include when I can for a bit more variety. These days, I treat them as my rewards for hitting healthy milestones. I actually have a Cirque sampler class picked out as my reward for my next milestone. Aerial Fitness classes look like sooo much fun, so if I like the sampler class, I've already saved up enough funds to plunk down on their New Student package.

Over the years, the fads have gotten me into Yoga, rock climbing, roller blading, mountain biking, Belly dancing, Jazz, Pilates, Triathlons and many, many more. Heck, I even ran a marathon (hate running), when I signed up for a training group that claimed they could get anyone to cross the finish line. While I still hated running the entire 6 months we trained, the group was great and extremely motivating. I lasted the full 6 months and crossed that finish line just as they promised.

Right now, I'm loving Zumba. I've always enjoyed dancing have have taken a ton of dance classes over the years. I enjoy the wide variety of dance styles incorporated into the workouts. I mostly do it at home with Zumba Fitness on my Wii, but occasionally hit a local class run at a nearby church. I've also attended an Aqua Zumba class that is run through my gym.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I do all sorts of things. I was working out by myself in the gym a lot, so I joined 9Rounds to work out with other people. I still like my alone time at the gym though. It is a nice balance. I also swim 1-2 times a week. That one completely clears my mind
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    So I'm considering in taking a couple of Aerial Fitness classes. Dangling in a hula hoop or aerial silks seem too fun to pass up.

But question is -
    Do you prefer class workshops over the gym? Are they more results driven?

Class workshop examples : Barre, Spinning, Hot Yoga, HIIT, Bootcamp, etc.

I lift in the gym...I road cycle and do some spin in the winter...I climb in a rock climbing gym (soon to venture outside)....

I'm not really big on bootcamp type of classes as they don't really do anything for me in regards to my goals...most HIIT really isn't HIIT but I do some interval training on my indoor bike trainer about once per week...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like classes. I try everything!