Vegans. Would you give your cat a can of tuna fish?

Options
Old_Cat_Lady
Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
edited August 2017 in Chit-Chat
Do vegans also have their pets on vegetarian diets? How does that work? What about fish food (I have never seen vegetarian fish food).

I had a very sick cat and she would not eat her cat food. She finally took bits of tuna fish.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Cats are straight up *kitten*.

FTFU

Thank you, sir.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    LOL. That's hilarious!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Do vegans also have their pets on vegetarian diets? How does that work? What about fish food (I have never seen vegetarian fish food).

I had a very sick cat and she would not eat her cat food. She finally took bits of tuna fish.

Shots fired
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Cats are straight up carnivores. They can't survive on a vegan diet.

Yup, exactly. Please don't feed your cat vegan food.

With dogs it's a bit of a grey zone because carbs, veggies, etc. don't affect them as badly as cats but it's still not the best thing to do and much like you wouldn't force your own lifestyle / ethics onto other people, you shouldn't do it with your pets.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    iamunicoon wrote: »
    Cats are straight up carnivores. They can't survive on a vegan diet.

Yup, exactly. Please don't feed your cat vegan food.

With dogs it's a bit of a grey zone because carbs, veggies, etc. don't affect them as badly as cats but it's still not the best thing to do and much like you wouldn't force your own lifestyle / ethics onto other people, you shouldn't do it with your pets.

This ^

before we started raw feeding my dog, because of her allergies we did go see an animal nutristionist (yes we are a tad bit crazy about the dog) really dogs and cats just need meat, and dogs need bones and such for calcium. Dogs can have veggies and carbs and I use those to bulk up dinners so she feels full but without putting on extra weight.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    Every cat I've ever met has loved hot dogs

Especially if they have cheddar.

derphdbzxn8n.gif
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Wait, are you typically feeding your cat a vegan diet? Your cat is a carnivore. Feed your cat meaty cat food.
  • komondorgirl
    komondorgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't post on a public forum that you are feeding a carnivorous pet a non-carnivorous diet. You are likely to be reported to the SPCA for cruelty to animals.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP did just ask a question, but also said that their cat was sick and not eating its food until they gave it some tuna. The whole thing seems kind of... fishy.

OP said not eating cat food, which isn't vegan. The cheaper stuff is crap though, which is why it's always best for cats to make sure the first ingredient of cat food is meat.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't post on a public forum that you are feeding a carnivorous pet a non-carnivorous diet. You are likely to be reported to the SPCA for cruelty to animals.

Yes!

Reported.

remember:

"Don't trust a friend..... report them!"
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If your cat is not eating it's regular food it needs to see a vet ASAP.

I used to be vegetarian and never even considered feeding my cats a vegetarian diet. Cats are obligate carnivores. They will become malnourished without animal protein in their diets.

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There is too much sodium in canned tuna. Feed kitty meat based cat food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you want a vegan pet then get an animal that is naturally vegetarian. It is not like they do not exist.
    Get a guinea pig and share a salad together.
    My sister had a vegetarian friend in college had an herbivorous lizard.