Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Counting calories is giving me terrible mood swings because I'm always hungry

124»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    One thing that's overlooked is the GI of carbs they eat. If you eat high GI carbs, your blood sugar is going to spike then crash, leaving you hungry. Look up the Glycemic Index and try to eat lower GI carbs.

Also, eating whole foods instead of packaged will get you a lot more volume per calorie. This is an extreme example, but 2 Poptarts are 400 calories. 400 calories of grilled chicken and vegetables will fill a plate!

What you say about GI is true if those foods are eaten in isolation. Usually high GI foods are eaten with fat and/or protein and that changes the whole GI in total. I agree with eating mostly whole foods.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    One thing that's overlooked is the GI of carbs they eat. If you eat high GI carbs, your blood sugar is going to spike then crash, leaving you hungry. Look up the Glycemic Index and try to eat lower GI carbs.

Also, eating whole foods instead of packaged will get you a lot more volume per calorie. This is an extreme example, but 2 Poptarts are 400 calories. 400 calories of grilled chicken and vegetables will fill a plate!

What you say about GI is true if those foods are eaten in isolation. Usually high GI foods are eaten with fat and/or protein and that changes the whole GI in total. I agree with eating mostly whole foods.

I agree.
    I find I'm ok with relatively high GI carbs as part of a balanced meal, but I have to remember to try and control my snacks (I'm a 3 meals + 2 snacks person - works best for me) cause I do get all crashy if I have a high GI snack without adequate protein etc to balance it.

Totally agree with the pop tarts v chicken and veg example though!