Not the typical "Not loosing weight" help thread.

Options
I've been steadily loosing weight since January. I am down 150 pounds since then.
Started out the year at 400 pounds, now at 250. I've been eating the same 3 meals a day with very very little fluctuation.
I weigh everything that goes into the meals. Since January I've only had one day a month of non standard eating. But I always stick within my 1400 calorie limit (total of 3 days this year outside that limit).

My workout routine has changed very little since the first part of May.
Ride bike 8 miles a day. Walk 2 miles (reaching at minimum 8,000 steps average of 10,000 per day) Then 25 minutes on the bike in the gym every day (missed 2 days since May). Doing a general weight lifting program four days a week.

So I am burning around 3400-3300 calories per day, eating 1400.
The math for the previous months follows this. Last two months was closer to 3800 burned per day losing over 40 pounds.
I keep a detailed daily log with my daily weight etc.

Now on to the problem...
This month I am just not moving the scale like it should be/has been.
Again, nothing at all has changed. Workouts at same intensity and duration. Food intake is identical, along with water intake.
I started out the first of the month at 254.8 pounds. It has been yoyoing all month, stuck at 252, for a few days, back up to 254, down to 249, now today back up to 253.
I understand that bodies fluctuate, but man this is just disheartening, its just crushing me.
Again, not changed a thing, seriously, nothing. By the math I should have lost somewhere around 8 pounds by now.

Maybe this is more of a vent, than a request for help. But it's just so dang frustrating to be working as hard as I am and not see results. A three, four day stagnation I could understand, but its 15 days in now....

Any ideas?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How much more do you think you have to lose? As you get closer to goal, weight comes off slower.

You're eating super low calorie. That is concerning to me.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily loosing weight since January. I am down 150 pounds since then.
    Started out the year at 400 pounds, now at 250. I've been eating the same 3 meals a day with very very little fluctuation.
    I weigh everything that goes into the meals. Since January I've only had one day a month of non standard eating. But I always stick within my 1400 calorie limit (total of 3 days this year outside that limit).

My workout routine has changed very little since the first part of May.
    Ride bike 8 miles a day. Walk 2 miles (reaching at minimum 8,000 steps average of 10,000 per day) Then 25 minutes on the bike in the gym every day (missed 2 days since May). Doing a general weight lifting program four days a week.

So I am burning around 3400-3300 calories per day, eating 1400.
    The math for the previous months follows this. Last two months was closer to 3800 burned per day losing over 40 pounds.
    I keep a detailed daily log with my daily weight etc.

Now on to the problem...
    This month I am just not moving the scale like it should be/has been.
    Again, nothing at all has changed. Workouts at same intensity and duration. Food intake is identical, along with water intake.
    I started out the first of the month at 254.8 pounds. It has been yoyoing all month, stuck at 252, for a few days, back up to 254, down to 249, now today back up to 253.
    I understand that bodies fluctuate, but man this is just disheartening, its just crushing me.
    Again, not changed a thing, seriously, nothing. By the math I should have lost somewhere around 8 pounds by now.

Maybe this is more of a vent, than a request for help. But it's just so dang frustrating to be working as hard as I am and not see results. A three, four day stagnation I could understand, but its 15 days in now....

Any ideas?

Are you a male? Eating 1400 calories per day isn't healthy then your working out on top of the that. Especially at 253lbs your basically starving yourself . The minimum calories a average male needs is 1500. You need to set your MFP activity to active
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You have been eating very low cal for a male and losing weight at an aggressive pace. It is possible your body is just trying to play catch up with all the stuff it hasn't had enough energy (calories) to deal with in the last 7 months. It is also perfectly normal to have several weeks where you don't see a noticeable change on the scale.

You were obese so you had wiggle room for aggressive fat loss, but you are much closer to reasonable weight now so you should be aiming for a bit slower pace and a gradual increase in calories to do so. I'd also recommend a checkup to make sure no damage was done by your low calorie level and to ensure you are giving your body everything it needs going forward. Best of luck
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Additional to what everybody already said, could those same 3 meals since January be depriving you of some nutrient? Maybe nothing obvious and nothing that caused problems, but now is catching you. Maybe something that slowly got worse.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone has hit the nail on the head.

You had more wiggle room given how much weight you had to lose. The closer you get to your goal... The harder it'll be. I think you haven't encountered stalls yet due to how rigorous you've been.

Do you track inches? After you lose so much, your body can undergo a recomposition stage where you are burning fat, but the scale doesn't move.

Your body may also be struggling a bit now since you've had this routine for so long -- consider eating more for just a few days. Keep it to healthy, nutrient dense foods. This is to show your brain it's ok to let go of the fat still and so it doesn't think there's a food shortage. Our bodies stop operating at its best when this happens. Eating at maintenance briefly is great to counteract it.

I'd also like to point out weight loss will slow the closer to your goal you are. Don't try to force the same rate the whole time... It could backfire!! It wouldn't be sustainable.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Aside from the aggressive deficit, which is a concern, I noticed one other thing (or missed it your post). I didn't see anywhere where you adjusted anything.

You burned far more calories when you were moving 400 pounds around than you are moving 250 pounds around. Using a couple of assumptions (6' male, 40 - could be anything relatively close) - your calorie difference from that alone is 800 calories. Your rate, while it should still be overaggressive at this point, should have slowed down by now.

[ETA - I see that @Spliner1969 hit on that a little bit above.

If all of measuring has been accurate, I fear you're going so start seeing the disadvantages of a crash diet soon.

Slow down!]
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments.
    Just really got me down today still not breaking the stall 16 days into the month with the amount of effort I am putting into it. I'll continue to be patient and hope for a turn around in results.
    How tall are you? How much more do you think you have to lose? As you get closer to goal, weight comes off slower.
    5'10" or so. I understand the slower as you loose more burn less math side of things. But even taking that into account I'm way out of line where I should be at this activity level.
    So my idea is what you've already said. Bodies fluctuate. If you want to check on anything, go get some bloodwork done, because you did lose a lot very quickly--possibly quicker than was healthy, but I'm not your doctor.

Good idea, I have an appointment for early next month in the books already. Ill call the nurse today and see if she can get me the blood work papers so I have that done before the appointment, and not have to do two trips.
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Are you a male? Eating 1400 calories per day isn't healthy then your working out on top of the that. Especially at 253lbs your basically starving yourself . The minimum calories a average male needs is 1500. You need to set your MFP activity to active

Yes, male.
    I've consulted with a nutritionist or is it dietitian I always get those terms mixed up. The one that has the MD at any rate. The diet we have worked on while a bit outside of normal, is balanced and ok with her.
    Just some stuff to think about.

Thanks for the well thought out advice, I have been recalculating the burn rate to set my expectations to realistic. But I have been doing it maybe too far apart. Tonight Ill try doing it in 5 pound slugs, not the 10-15 I have it mapped out at. Probably wont change too much, but worth the few minutes.

BTW using actual numbers for the calorie rate, not fitness trackers or anything. Last month lost 21 pounds in 31 days so that would be 3770 per day average. Month before was 20 in 30 so 3833 average. This month (re did my weight before breakfast and at 251 pounds now) 2231 per day, keeping the exact same routine and diet. Yes, expect to see some slow down, but not that drastic, in such a very short amount of time. Should theoretically be 3200ish

1400 calories gross or net since January?

Either way it sounds like you need a diet break.

1400 intake total. I'm full everyday, and have no bouts of hunger. I could easily cut out 300 or so calories from that most days and skip lunch, but then I'd have problems with the nutrition side of things.
    skymningen wrote: »
    Additional to what everybody already said, could those same 3 meals since January be depriving you of some nutrient? Maybe nothing obvious and nothing that caused problems, but now is catching you. Maybe something that slowly got worse.
    Good thought, Ill look into a visit with the dietitian again.

tayusuki wrote: »
    I think you haven't encountered stalls yet due to how rigorous you've been.

Do you track inches?

I'd also like to point out weight loss will slow the closer to your goal you are. Don't try to force the same rate the whole time... It could backfire!! It wouldn't be sustainable.

Yea, no real stalls, few brief periods of 4 days or so. Those were very hard to deal with, but this longer period is getting me down.
    I've been tracking inches, but just on the first of every month. FYI I started in January with a 68 inch waist. It is now 47. Long way to go, but getting there. I know this sounds childish or silly, but its been the only thing keeping me on track these past 4-5 days and not giving up. Being able to look and say, oh you lost 20 damn inches so far. OR hey you can go buy a 2xl Tshirt at Target and not have to pay $45 for a 6xl at DXL.

My original plan for the year way to hit overweight (209 for me), and then do "long term habit forming yadda yadda" diet. I may need to reassess that.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For the love of god, and muscle, eat more!

You're doing yourself serious damage.
  • heleneileen3626
    heleneileen3626 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing so much weight! Give yourself a pat on the back for that. I agree with everything above, particularly that you're not eating enough variety and may be losing out on essential proteins and minerals. Also I believe your body has become accustomed to your exercise regime. It's not a challenge anymore. Perhaps you should mix that up a bit too. It's a long haul to lose weight, and the slower it comes off the more likely it is to stay off. A quick loss at the beginning is very motivational, but for a lifetime change, after the initial loss, slower is better imho. Good luck!