captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
Hi all,
So i was looking for "walking games" and came across ingress,

Anyone play? What do you think of it?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Oh man yeah. It is what I credit my weight loss and fitness to. I saw it on flipboard when it first came out and thought what the heck, i'll try it. Well as I learned how to play I started getting into it. I started walking but gradually started running to cover more ground. Before I realized it I was running five to seven miles a day. I always developed knee pain and thought I couldn't run but I can run now. The slow build up an intervals made me a runner. Every night a bunch of players on the blue team AKA Smurfs would capture and field downtown. I would get up at 4:30 AM and kill it all. I would run four laps around the town then run to two college campuses before running home. I focus more on my running now but still play some. It can be a solo game or a team effort and I have made many new friends. I am a level 15 on the Enlightened green team AKA frogs. When I was playing daily I was able to lose 50 pounds so I will always a place for Ingress. Let me know if you need some tips on playing or an invite. I was able to get my Nephew to level 4 in two hours.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    Thats awesome!
  • rsclause
    Options
    It helps to play in an urban area, park or campus that is portal dense. Make lots of small fields (triangles) to level up quickly. Its hard to attack at low levels but you can capture, deploy and field empty portals or field ones that are your teams color. Been playing for four years now across this country and in Europe.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I have to try this!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    So i was looking for "walking games" and came across ingress,

Anyone play? What do you think of it?

I sit and watch the Walking Dead. I haven't lost a pound. What am I doing wrong?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting! It's an app?

No, its something you wear around your neck, like Flavor Flav.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options

Yeah!
    Just play Pokemon Go
    Apparently its based on ingress servers, i did pokemon go for a while but my wife despises pokemon so infigured this is a good alternative
  • captainfantastic94
    Options

Yeah!
    Just play Pokemon Go
    Apparently its based on ingress servers, i did pokemon go for a while but my wife despises pokemon so infigured this is a good alternative

Gonna download. I need something to help me get my *kitten* in gear

I already do some walks but this will be fun
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I did for a while but my neighborhood just sucks for it... only 4 spots within a 4 miles radius. I'm not driving around just for a game, lol.
  • rsclause
    Options
    The best way to describe the game is that its like a global game of capture the flag. Score is kept globally and local regions. It also has the top 25 agents in your area. There are 16 levels and various badges and even missions to be completed. Being GPS based I have heard some say it similar to geocaching. The game Pokemon was built using existing Ingress portal location too. There is a deep storyline that is fiction if you want to get way into it. Me I just play for exercise. Almost any church, sculpture, fountain or historic place or marker is likely to be a portal. I have never been but have friends that travel to ingress anomaly sites where Niantic Labs (Google) stages large day long events that involve scores of people and movement of shards from one part of the world to another. You can get as deep as you want or keep it simple and just play but there is some strategy to it.
  • rsclause
    Options
    Go to ingress.com and there is a teaser video.
  • rsclause
    Options
    Actually I have never seen that one but it was very good as a starter. There was an earlier one that showed people walking up the a sculpture and seeing the energy and wondering who else can see it. After you start playing in an active area it turns into "I wonder if that person is attacking my portal". At the height of the pokemon craze, because both games use the same location, I would run up to a portal and attack, hack or link. I would then run off to the next to do the same. The pokemon players would look at their phones and try to figure out what I did.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    Just captured two portals abd made a link woot
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Living in Chicago, this might be interesting..
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I looked into Ingress once while waiting for Pokemon GO to come out. Didn't really take to it but I never gave it much of a chance to be honest (I was running low on phone space too).

Zombies RUN! is another good walking game I played though. You get the first couple of episodes free but after that you have to subscribe.