Thinking about starting a fruit based diet in the form of smoothies.

13»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,034 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi. I'm no pro but weight loss is a journey... Not a marathon. There's no such thing as fast weight loss schemes... That's why they all called schemes. I've just lost 1.6kg in a week and although I have about 40kg to go this is just the way it has to be for a long term gain. I'd love to lose more quicker but it's just not realistic without damaging myself mentally, physically and emotionally. Be kinder and more patient with yourself

1.6 kilos, not pounds? Because that's fast, not "just".

Is that a lot? It's my first week adding exercise...

General healthy recommendation is 1kg a week max, unless you're quite obese.
  • jenniferhugheswork
    jenniferhugheswork Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi. I'm no pro but weight loss is a journey... Not a marathon. There's no such thing as fast weight loss schemes... That's why they all called schemes. I've just lost 1.6kg in a week and although I have about 40kg to go this is just the way it has to be for a long term gain. I'd love to lose more quicker but it's just not realistic without damaging myself mentally, physically and emotionally. Be kinder and more patient with yourself

1.6 kilos, not pounds? Because that's fast, not "just".

Is that a lot? It's my first week adding exercise...

General healthy recommendation is 1kg a week max, unless you're quite obese.

Yeah 1kg is what my app is set to. I was 125kg so yup pretty overweight.... I've been working out at the gym three days on and one day off.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

1.6kg in a week is NOT slow. Don't expect that to be the norm. And yes it is a marathon. But it's not at a constant speed. Neither will your weight loss. Be careful not to be discouraged if you have weeks where you "only" lose 1kg or 0.5 kg, or even nothing for a given week.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    I hope you aren't serious. Your fruit/yogurt diet sounds high in sugar and low in protein, fat, and fiber, as well as carbs, vitamins and minerals.

Sure, you could lose some weight, but you will get malnutrition in exchange.

I love fruit and eat a lot of it. I could win a Mrs. Fruit contest.

However, I would never make fruit the center of my diet. I also prefer the whole fruit instead of running it through a blender. I get the bulk and the fiber that way, which keeps me more satisfied and is good for my body.

I urge you to eat your fruit/yogurt smoothies as a treat and work out a diet with regular food.
  • jenniferhugheswork

1.6kg in a week is NOT slow. Don't expect that to be the norm. And yes it is a marathon. But it's not at a constant speed. Neither will your weight loss. Be careful not to be discouraged if you have weeks where you "only" lose 1kg or 0.5 kg, or even nothing for a given week.

I meant marathon as in a race... Like always seems people are wanting weight loss miracles etc thanks for the advice, I'm under a trainer through my gym and calorie intake etc on track but I will go by the measurements rather than scales to prevent discouragement
  • jenniferhugheswork

In all, I'm doing resistance training six days a week with a break every fourth day. Have actually been over sugar/carb intake on the odd Occassion but my main point is that I know for myself I have to have realistic expectations when there is such a big goal to reach
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

I would like to remind you that the Getting Started and General Diet and Weight Loss Help boards are to assist people who have questions. If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation please do no reply.

Filling these threads with useless "funny" derailments is hi-jacking, and is a violation of MFP guideline 2.

If you need a refresher on the guidelines you can find them here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    It has been shown chewing food is critical to feeling full. Why not eat the fruit . While you are at it eat some vegetable and maybe beans or lean meats.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    You've bounced around from idea to idea, struggled with moderation and frequently get bogged down in the irrelevant or unimportant. Have you considered actually just committing to sustaining a calorie deficit, logging accurately, exercising regularly and letting the simplest weight loss plan in the world do its work?

^this.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Hi, I want to do a diet of fruit only mainly in the form of smoothies, I want to lose about 40 pounds, I would like some insight from people who are also eating mainly fruit, I decided to do this mainly because I drank a fresh fruit smoothie mixed with yogurt yesterday and it was delicious and refreshing especially after I took a long walk in the heat. So I decided I'm going to do this, I'm going to buy a blender and just drink fruit and yogurt smoothies until I lose my 40 pounds.

Why on Earth would you want to do that?
    I've lost 137lb eating a varied and balanced diet, which does, on occasion include smoothies. But for me smoothies are a way of adding extra Calories (and protein as I add protein powder to them) to my diet, there's no way I could imagine living off them for the time it takes to lose 40lb.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ice cream is also delicious and refreshing after long walks in the heat. Why not a milkshake diet?

Because a milkshake has like 1000 calories and is fattening and a smoothie has like 300 and no fat.

Um depending on which ingredients you put in your smoothie that can also be sky high calorie wise.