Will I still lose weight eating carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• msfuzzyvegan1
    msfuzzyvegan1 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You need carbs for energy. Why does everything think carbs are bad? Carbs aren't the main culprit of weight gain.
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes OP you can eat carbs and still lose weight. Calories are what matter for weight loss. I'm always curious where people get their misconceptions about diet and weight loss. Did you read somewhere that eating carbs prevents weight loss or makes it more difficult?

Additionally, 1200 cals is the minimum target for women and may not be necessary to go that low in order to lose. What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight? What rate of loss did you choose? Do you exercise? Do you log and eat back a portion of those calories when you do?

I'm 5'6, currently 10 stone 12 now, goal weight is 10 stone. I chose 2 lb a week. Don't eat exercise calories back. My exercise is on and off, some weeks I'll exercise 3-4 times a week and others I don't at all.

I find the only way I can lose is by not eating carbs and sticking to 1200 calories. I got to 10 stone 7, but as soon as I start introducing carbs back into my diet such as pasta and bread it goes back on!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes OP you can eat carbs and still lose weight. Calories are what matter for weight loss. I'm always curious where people get their misconceptions about diet and weight loss. Did you read somewhere that eating carbs prevents weight loss or makes it more difficult?

Additionally, 1200 cals is the minimum target for women and may not be necessary to go that low in order to lose. What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight? What rate of loss did you choose? Do you exercise? Do you log and eat back a portion of those calories when you do?

I'm 5'6, currently 10 stone 12 now, goal weight is 10 stone. I chose 2 lb a week. Don't eat exercise calories back. My exercise is on and off, some weeks I'll exercise 3-4 times a week and others I don't at all.

I find the only way I can lose is by not eating carbs and sticking to 1200 calories. I got to 10 stone 7, but as soon as I start introducing carbs back into my diet such as pasta and bread it goes back on!

That is a really ambitious and unnecessary goal at your weight and height. If the only way you can lose is by aiming for 1200 and not eating carbs or exercise calories, it says to me that you're trying to force an overly large deficit and may be risking your health.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Okay, 2lbs per week is too aggressive and you are highly unlikely to lose at that rate with so little to lose.

You are not gaining fat when reintroducing carbs. It's just water from glycogen replenishment and more food in the gut. Perhaps more sodium also causing water retention. That can all mask losses. I am trending 4lbs over my lowest and another 1-2 over what my losses should show on the scale. It's not fat, it's impossible, I haven't eaten enough for that to be the case. The scale lies a lot.

If you don't eat any exercise calories back you are undereating. 1200 is the bare minimum to meet nutritional needs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

When you started adding carbs back in, that increased your glycogen levels, which in turn increases water weight. It's not actual fat.

That said, with only 12 pounds to lose you should be aiming for half a pound a week. Eat that much plus at least a portion of your exercise calories while logging everything as accurately as possible.