Carbs question

Options
MFP gave me 198 g of carbs to consume, do i eat this or no ive heard people say carbs are bad I'm currently 242lbs male 23 years old 5'8 MFP gave me 79g protein 198g carbs 53g fat sedentary job want to lose 2 lbs weekly. Anyone else going through something similar?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    I eat 200 grams of carbs six days a week, and 300 one day. You're good.

It's really about the calories, anyway.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for weight loss is calories. Calories in vs. calories out.

Carbs matter if you have a medical condition. Carbs may matter for satiety purposes. Some people find carbs filling, others don't. I treat protein as a minimum, eat a good % of fat, and carbs are whatever is left over. I find complex carbs more filling than (more) simple carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 198 g of carbs to consume, do i eat this or no ive heard people say carbs are bad I'm currently 242lbs male 23 years old 5'8 MFP gave me 79g protein 198g carbs 53g fat sedentary job want to lose 2 lbs weekly. Anyone else going through something similar?

It's just the MFP default percentages...personally, I'd drop the carbs a bit and up the protein...not because carbs are "bad" but because the default protein target is a bit on the low side...more protein will help preserve lean mass.

There's nothing inherently bad about carbs and their are a whole lot of nutritious carbs out there...frankly, a lot of people don't know what a friggin' carb is and they just equate it to junk food. Last time I checked, veggies were carbs...fruit are carbs...starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes are carbs...beans and lentils are carbs...oats are carbs, etc...all pretty good stuff nutritionally speaking...

Often people do cut back on carbs when losing weight because it's the easiest macro to flex and an easy way to cut back on calories. When I cut weight I typically don't eat grains or starches at night because it's just an easier way for me to cut back on calories.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm high good carb and losing. Tonight I'm having barley with sweet potato. What matters is how many daily calories you eat... it's that easy.
  • michael2187
    michael2187 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your time and information!!