Not Sure where I fit in

Options
So a little about me. I started my journey in December of 2015.
SW: 223
CW 183
H: 5'6
I'm super happy with what I've done so far. It's a slow process for me since I like to enjoy my weekends too much and too often. That being said I've pretty much been the same weight since October of last year. I've gone up a few and I've been as low as 177, but always seem to just to come back to around 183. That's with a losing mindset or with a maintenance mindset doesn't matter, stays the same. (give or take)
In January I decided to just be happy where I'm at but focus more on strength training and running. So I've bumped my deficit down to one pound per week. Again, weight stays about the same but I can tell a difference in my body with strength training even though the scale stays the same. The picture on the right is January, the picture on the left is 3 weeks ago, so there is a difference even with the same number on the scale. tmirz6roguhq.jpg
So I guess my question is when do you know that maintenance is right for you?
I know I could lose more, but I like my curves, I don't want to lose them.
Does your body ever get to a point where it says NO MORE? With always coming back to around 183 for close to a year now I feel like this is maybe where I'm suppose to be? Idk, I just know I'm struggling with not having a clear plan. It's been lose lose lose for a year and half and these last few months I've just felt lost.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I learned in my Psychology class last semesters that everyone's body had a "set-point", or a certain weight that it wants to be at. Our bodies work like a thermostat, if we lose weight and go below our set point, our bodies metabolisms will slow down and it will increase our appetites. If we go above our set point, our bodies will decrease our appetites and speed up our metabolisms. Our set points get higher with age and this is one of the reasons it gets harder to lose weight when you're older. Also, it is why once we get to a certain weight, it can be very hard to lose more.
    I think that it's important to listen to your body and what it's telling you. If you are happy here and don't want to fight against your body, then I think it would be just fine for you to maintain here :smile:

Ok, so you're saying that even if I eat at a deficit my body won't drop the weight because I've reached a "set point"? Then tell me where does my body get my deficit from? I get eating more food and not really being in a deficit, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm curious because I've heard this before and it goes against the physical science of CICO.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @LillysMomma09 I'm glad I could help :blush:
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. There is no right answer there is no wrong answer it's what you feel comfortable at. What you have to remember is weight is just the number yes it does mean something but more importantly when you look at yourself in the mirror you have to like what you see.

I'll give you my perspective. Went from approximately 288 to 220. I decided how I look at 2:20 and I went into maintenance. Totally screwed it up when as low as 204. I actually flirted with going into the hundreds but I didn't like the way I look. I started lifting and for the past 10 months I've been in that 208-210 range and I currently like where I am.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    About the 'set point': There might be one, but it is not set in stone. It's a hurdle to get over or under, but once you get away from it far enough in the right direction, you do not necessarily bounce back.
    Mine used to be 10 kg higher than it is now. And again, I am at a point like it, just it is 10 kg lower than it would have been two years ago.
    My life changed, my body, brain and microbiota adapted to the new weight. I think that point is just more or less what you are used to (mentally by eating at the maintenance for that level, metabolically and in many other ways).
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It is weekend and I actually worked today so I am a little unwilling to do a search for publications, but generally speaking in medicine there is an effect called 'dosage response'. While it is most often depicted as a linear relationship (because it was originally used for drugs, to determine the dosage where the strength of the response would 'outweigh' the likelihood and severity of side effects), people start to look more into a similar response based on threshold.
    Actually, thresholds are already used in many medications, especially ones that you might have to take every day. Those can work on the basis, that if regularly taken while keep the levels of some compound in your body over a threshold which is needed to suppress any adverse effects by an illness. Some of these have more 'wiggle space', for others your body will have severe reactions suddenly when dropping under a threshold.

So generally, thresholds exist in our biological setup. The body is a very complex system. When your metabolism changes, that could well have the effect to get you under some threshold where your body will try to counter-regulate and you might very well jump around at some weight for longer than usual because for some reason the change your metabolism needs to make to stay consistently under it is more severe and more countered than your usual, continuous changes during weight loss (or gain). And like people do have different BMRs for various reasons, they would also have different threshold, so not everyone stalls at the same point (and some do not have this problem at all).

Wow, I am tired. Excuse me if that was confusing, it sounded easy in my head.