MapMyRun overestimating calories burned?

Options
Has anyone else noticed MapMyRun overestimating the calories they've burned -- by a lot?

I'm comparing this to entering the calories estimated by entering the same pace/duration run on MyFitnessPal or various other online calculators.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles

Yes, I have noticed pals who use mapmyrun have ridiculous calorie burns for running.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'2 and 140 lbs. I never use the calorie counts because I do feel they way over calculate. For intense super sweaty exercise, I calculate a calorie per minute. For moderate to easy exercise where I might have a minimal amount of sweat, I calculate 1/2 calorie per minute.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'2 and 140 lbs. I never use the calorie counts because I do feel they way over calculate. For intense super sweaty exercise, I calculate a calorie per minute. For moderate to easy exercise where I might have a minimal amount of sweat, I calculate 1/2 calorie per minute.

If you're running or walking that would be much too low. A 6 mile/one hour run would burn a lot more than 60 calories.

I go by MFPs numbers. They are actually a little low for me, since I usually run on hilly streets, but not by enough to make me super hungry.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options

If you're running or walking that would be much too low. A 6 mile/one hour run would burn a lot more than 60 calories.

I go by MFPs numbers. They are actually a little low for me, since I usually run on hilly streets, but not by enough to make me super hungry.
    Pardon my math, lol. I am still drinking coffee. I meant 600 calories per hour for intense cardio and 300 calories for moderate to easy exercise. I use that because some of the exercises don't take into account intensity. If I do 50 floors on the stair stepper in 15 minutes I am burning far less calories than if I do 100 floors on the stair stepper in 15 minutes. Mfp doesn't take that into account, unless I am missing that feature on this app.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    That makes more sense.