Please say it gets more easier and enjoyable!

2»

Replies

• SilentDan82
    SilentDan82 Posts: 25 Member
    Adding to the "find something you like" idea, try to find a sport you like that gives you a good workout without having to focus on it. For example, I do kickboxing which gives me a great workout but when I'm in the kickboxing class I'm not thinking about my heart rate, calories burned, time left, etc. I'm thinking about my technique or about opening up my opponent to score a punch or a kick. The workout just happens along the way. I hate running, the stationary bike or ellipticals but I actually look forward to kickboxing.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I have never enjoyed cardio for the sake of cardio. Never. But I find I do like slinging iron around, so I sneak a bit of cardio in to the warm-up, and finish with about 15 minutes of intervals which seems to go fast enough that I can tolerate it. What helped with tolerating THAT was making them variable according to heart rate recovery and I liked seeing my fitness improve.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I have never enjoyed cardio for the sake of cardio. Never. But I find I do like slinging iron around, so I sneak a bit of cardio in to the warm-up, and finish with about 15 minutes of intervals which seems to go fast enough that I can tolerate it. What helped with tolerating THAT was making them variable according to heart rate recovery and I liked seeing my fitness improve.

I prefer doing my "cardio" this way as well. Using a heart rate monitor to auto-regulate my conditioning intervals based on how quick I recover is the most enjoyable way imo.
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    It really does get better if you're doing something you want to do. For me, it's DDR and a bike that I prefer, but I have to make myself do some strength training.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    When I started seeing results and my body changing I enjoyed that and it motivated me to keep going.

When I found boxing and a workout that I enjoyed doing even more than the results I started loving my workouts and looking forward to them. It became a part of my identity and a passion
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Whether or not it gets easier is entirely up to you. I'll explain.... when I first started running 5km seemed like an impossible distance and for my first race ever my goal was to come in under 40 minutes. I did it, it was hard but i did it. Since then I've kept on running and gone for longer distances and better times, now a 40 minute 5K is a very relaxing recovery run.

I also found that as I got better at running I enjoyed it more and more even though I'm constantly challenging myself to do better and have gone on to running half-marathon distances, Olympic distance triathlons etc.

I also weighed about 235 lbs when I started running and I can guarantee you that as you lose weight and become fitter many things become much easier.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    It will get easier as you lose weight. I'll give you my background lost 80 lbs over 8 months been maintaining for over 10.

Now here's the fun part it can actually get harder as you lose the weight cuz you'll begin to push yourself more when you realize I can do better. The only limitation you have is the ones you impose on yourself.

Let me give you hope based on my perspective. I'm a big Tony Horton fan P90X is one of my favorites. One of his movements is a 180 jump spin. At 280 I basically shuffled my feet around. At 2:08 I can do multiple 360 jump spins. No let me take away another excuse you may have. I've had a double hip replacement and I have an arthritic knee that will eventually have to be replaced. Remember multiple 360 jump spins you can do it
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I hated exercise at that weight, so i juat walked if I did any exwrcise at all. I focused more on my calorie deficit and changing eating behaviors until I was at a place where I wanted to work out and could move well enough to do it. I didn't do much more than walk until I was under 200 (started at 256).
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I was athletic when I was a normal weight and that was one of the motivations to take off this weight. I really resented that I could no longer run and do the other activities and sports I used to do. (I have lost only 10 lbs. since end of June, and have 90 to go!) But my fitness has improved a LOT in just the last 3 months. I started by walking to work (and now I walk to and from, 90 minutes each day) and recently added two 25 minute swim workouts (I love to swim, but just doing backstroke now) after work and a zumba class on the weekend. I want to add another zumba class.

When I was having problems getting motivated to do my 30 minute walk around an indoor track, I would tell myself, "just do 15 minutes". I reduced my goal and then it was easier to just do that 15 minutes. As it became more regular, I increased the minutes. You might try cutting back your goal until it is easy for you to do, and you are very consistent, then increase incrementally.

I eventually want to jog again and also add more impact to my zumba work-outs. At this point though, I know it would be hard and also dangerous on my knees, so I chose to add the swimming. When I lose another 30-40 lbs. I think I will be ready to add some jogging.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Yes it absolutely does. I used to never exercise outside of casual strolling but now I go running almost every night. Here's two examples of how this has changed just from this week:
    1. Went out for a walk on Tuesday night, I "didn't feel like running" but needed to burn some calories. I started walking and then started craving a run! I used to go out for a run and decide to walk instead, now its vice versa!
    2. Tonight I was feeling lazy and wanted to take a hot bath. I started to, but just felt awful for skipping my run. I ran!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Yes it absolutely does. I used to never exercise outside of casual strolling but now I go running almost every night. Here's two examples of how this has changed just from this week:
    1. Went out for a walk on Tuesday night, I "didn't feel like running" but needed to burn some calories. I started walking and then started craving a run! I used to go out for a run and decide to walk instead, now its vice versa!
    2. Tonight I was feeling lazy and wanted to take a hot bath. I started to, but just felt awful for skipping my run. I ran!

This really works for me too... there are days when I just feel I can't face another workout, so I tell myself, I will just do something light and half-*kitten* it. Then when I get going I almost always find I really can do it, I feel much better than I thought I felt, and afterwards I have more energy.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    I have lost close to 70 pounds so far and it does get so muh easier as you lose and build strength and stamina. I still remember feeling like I was going to die those first workouts. I started by forcing myself to do 30 minutes a day and then added specific goals as I got more fit. I look forward to my workouts and continue to see huge improvements in my abilities. Work your way up. This will ensure you don't burn out or give up. Also if you absolutely hate it switch to something else. I love to dance so on my cardio days I do a lot of dance based workouts. I also bike and walk. I get bored easy so need a variety of activities to keep me.motivated. just find what works for you and remember cico for weight loss and exercise for your overall health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,492 Member
    Well it's always going to be easier and maybe more enjoyable when you weigh less. Remember exercise is for fitness and health. Your CONSUMPTION is what's going to dictate weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Nads36 wrote: »
    I weigh 256lbs = 18st 4lbs (was 271lbs = 19st 5lbs) and I have to admit I am not enjoying exercising at this weight. I do remember loving exercise when I was lighter in previous years. Just wondered when did it get easier and more enjoyable for you? Thanks in advance!

You say that you used to enjoy exercising when you were younger and lighter. You will likely find that you will really start enjoying the exercise again when you get back to your younger weight and you'll possibly find that you WANT/NEED to exercise when you get to that point. If you don't do any strength training, I would encourage you to incorporate it. Start out light and where you can do three sets of ten very easily. Make sure to work all the different muscle groups at least twice each workout, even if you split it out to upper body one day and legs the next. Increase the amounts by 5-10 lbs per week until it starts to get tough to finish that third set. The next step up, do four sets of eight reps instead or five sets of five.

In time, the satisfaction of increasing your strength becomes yet another bit of encouragement to be there. When I started out lifting a few years ago, I was down to the point where I couldn't comfortably bench more than 130 lbs and my lat pulls were down to 110 lbs. I could only do about 130 lbs on calf raises. I now rep 170 lbs on the bench, up to 190 lbs on lat pulls and 230 lbs on calf raises. There are of course a lot of other exercises I do. (You can tell that I like calf raises though!) There are always bigger, stronger people out there and I don't try to compete against them and you shouldn't either, but I know that I'm a stronger, healthier person than I was a few years ago. Wherever you start doesn't matter as long as you get stronger and healthier along the way.

On the flip side, I hurt my knee two years ago and gained back 20 lbs when I quit running and doubled down by eating poorly. I'm back to running and working on the weight, but it's important to remember that if you want to reach your goals and stay there, diligence and dedication are required 90% of the time. If you get to the point where you are only trying half the time, you'll regress incredibly fast.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i bike commute whenever i'm working, and in between contracts i . . . don't.

so there's usually a bit of a re-entry stage every time i begin a new job. aka 'omg i want to die'.

the way i get myself through it is to mentally picture a specific quantum of suck - literally like a pile of sand in my head. that's the suffering differential between where i am now and where i'm probably going to be.

and then i allot myself some arbitrary quantity of time, because really this is just kind of a mental game. i say 'it will take you x weeks to get through that pile, or at least reduce it significantly.' each morning/evening ride is one bucket of sand.

i must have the mind of a three-year-old still in some ways, because i find that picturing each of those individual horrible rides as a bucket of sand is extremely helpful.