Options
2»

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    'Clean' eating is a completely subjective and arbitrary term that has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.

Is this spoken from personal experience or what you've picked up from the internet?

My frustration is that the term doesn't have a set definition ie. it doesn't actually mean anything. Even the Clean Eating group here on MFP can't agree on one definition. So how does telling the op that eating 'clean' is going to help her achieve her weight loss goals, actually going to help her?

Here's the various clean eating definitions that have been compiled from the various threads on MFP, these are what different people have claimed 'clean' eating is-

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No take-out or junk food at all.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    A plant-based whole food diet.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.
    Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    ]No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    No bad carbs and processed foods.
    Anything that makes a better choice.
    Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.

See how many of these completely contradict each other? And then there's some of them that don't even make sense, (my local grocery store's produce dept. is in the inside of the store, however the beer cave and chip section is on the outside parameter....)

Sorry op, got off track here, but the term 'clean eating' drives me batty :p
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    'Clean' eating is a completely subjective and arbitrary term that has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.

Is this spoken from personal experience or what you've picked up from the internet?

My frustration is that the term doesn't have a set definition ie. it doesn't actually mean anything. Even the Clean Eating group here on MFP can't agree on one definition. So how does telling the op that eating 'clean' is going to help her achieve her weight loss goals, actually going to help her?

Here's the various clean eating definitions that have been compiled from the various threads on MFP, these are what different people have claimed 'clean' eating is-

Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    ]No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.

See how many of these completely contradict each other? And then there's some of them that don't even make sense, (my local grocery store's produce dept. is in the inside of the store, however the beer cave and chip section is on the outside parameter....)

My apologies for driving you batty, but in my personal experience, in order to manage energy and mood, I've whittled my diet down to cooking my own meals and using fresh healthy ingredients..

It's not as complicated as the rules described above, there is always room for treats.

Not to mention when I use the term clean, it's not restrictive, but balanced. And that's what mfp has taught me. Our bodies are built to have and use all macros and ideally, we balance them. We are at our best when we aren't bogged down with extra things our bodies have to process.

It's not a fad, it's common sense. It's nothing I read, it's simply what I've learned in my weight loss experience.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited August 2017
    Options
    double post
  • OliveGirl128
    Options

No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.

My apologies for driving you batty, but in my personal experience, in order to manage energy and mood, I've whittled my diet down to cooking my own meals and using fresh healthy ingredients..

It's not as complicated as the rules described above, there is always room for treats.

Not to mention when I use the term clean, it's not restrictive, but balanced. And that's what mfp has taught me. Our bodies are built to have and use all macros and ideally, we balance them. We are at our best when we aren't bogged down with extra things our bodies have to process.

It's not a fad, it's common sense. It's nothing I read, it's simply what I've learned in my weight loss experience.

If you had posted-'hey, for me cooking my own meals and using fresh ingredients helps me feel better and makes it easier to manage my calorie intake' I'd have been like 'yep, that's what I do too!' It's just that the term 'clean eating' is so ambiguous and subjective, that makes me cringe every time it comes up/knee jerk response post ensues lol.

It's all good, thanks for clarifying and I'm glad you found something that's working for you-I took a peek at your profile area and your success is truly amazing :)
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options

No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    No "white" foods.

If you had posted-'hey, for me cooking my own meals and using fresh ingredients helps me feel better and makes it easier to manage my calorie intake' I'd have been like 'yep, that's what I do too!' It's just that the term 'clean eating' is so ambiguous and subjective, that makes me cringe every time it comes up/knee jerk response post ensues lol.

It's all good, thanks for clarifying and I'm glad you found something that's working for you-I took a peek at your profile area and your success is truly amazing :)

I need to update that, I just had skin removal surgery and got through that, (barely)

Sorry I used the term clean, That's just how I find my recipes, so I figured that's what I'm doing.. it's all a lot of bs unless you do real work and educate yourself anyway. Those buzz words are meaningless.

Weight loss isn't a fad or a plan, it's a psychological mind frame. Always learning, always getting better. It's more about mental wellness than just being fat.

You remind me of my husband lol.. always nitpicking me for being too ambiguous..

Grateful.. it happens a lot