How long to lose fitness?

Options
Sitting in Palma airport, waiting to fly back to UK after 10 day break. Purposely didn't take my running gear as it was a family break, so I last ran on 6th August. I have only been running since March, but I have worked my way through C25K and most of the 10k bridge comfortably before coming away. What should I expect tomorrow? Bit scared! Xx

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You might need to dial it back a bit but 10 days shouldn't make a huge difference.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You will likely feel a bit stiff and heavy for your first couple of runs. Or you may feel rested and energetic. You weren't off that long. Ten days is short enough it shouldn't take more than a week or so to get back to where you were. The usual 'rule of thumb' is 1.5 days for every day off - that is, if you take two weeks off then it will take 3 weeks to get back to where you were. But, for me at least, short breaks usually only affect me for about the same time as I took off.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    My cardiovascular fitness starts to drop off after 3 days, but you should bounce back quick. As was said, dial it back.

My strength seems to decline after roughly 10 days of not lifting.

Do you even lift? :+1:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it. You will question if you want to get out and run, power through it. Once out running you will get a bit more fatigued and may want a rest day after a run or two. The good news is it comes back fast.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I come back stronger from a break because my body has fully recovered! Go in with a positive attitude, but be prepared to Pace yourself as needed. Life is full of fitness breaks, so learning how to adjust is a good skill.
  • solovino1
    solovino1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It depends on how old you are. Older you are, the faster it goes. Try 1/2 your usual training volume and go at the lower end of steady state.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    My cardiovascular fitness starts to drop off after 3 days, but you should bounce back quick. As was said, dial it back.

My strength seems to decline after roughly 10 days of not lifting.

Do you even lift? :+1:

I tend to agree with this.

Endurance is quick to build and quick to lose.
    Strength is slow to build and slow to lose.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I recently took 15 days off to visit family in Stockholm from my home in California. I didn't track while on vacation and only really worked out twice the whole time.

When I got back I was up 5.2lb which mostly fell off with 48hr (travel water weight). My first boxing class back my chest was burning and I struggled to get through it and I was definitely more sore than normal but by my next class 2 days later I was feeling like myself again and back to normal.

Get through the first tough workout and you will be fine
  • Cateyj
    Cateyj Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much everyone. I was up and out and 7am and aimed for 5k. It wasn't the easiest run but, not the hardest either. I am 44 and have always considered myself completely unsporty and unfit so the fact that I can run at all still astounds me! I only completed C25K because my sisters entered us all in a charity 5k and I felt I had to earn my sponsorship !
    I will pick up the 5-10k bridge program where I left off on Monday morning