Bloat or fat?

Options
HI All - I've gained significant weight, about 30-35 lbs since an injury and subsequent surgery 10 months ago. It seems most of the weight is in my stomach, abdomen and hips. I am very small on top and consider my shape to be triangular. I started MFP about 25 days ago and lost 5 lbs, but a few days earlier might have lost a bit of water weight, for a total of about 8 lbs. My question or concern is my abdomen. It's huge! While I am sitting, the area is soft and squishy and it clearly seems as if it's fat. To me, that's the good thing in that it can be lost through diet and exercise. However, when I stand up, the abdomen becomes hard and resembles a basketball. I don't feel much squish or fat when I'm standing. I guess I fear that it's never going to go away. It seems as if it would have gotten smaller this last month. Any thoughts?

SW: 157
CW: 149.4
GW: 125
5'5"
67 years old.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Even if it was water or some bloating, it could go away.. that stuff is temporary. And don't compare standing to sitting.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If you've got a medical concern, it's best to talk to a doctor. If you're hoping that losing the weight will help with this, no one can really say - people lose weight in different places and there's no way to target a particular area for weight loss. You'll just need to stick with the program and look into fitness options to compliment the weight loss. Good luck!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I'd second getting a medical opinion. "Hard as a basketball" is an unusual presentation for abdomen area.