Water weight gain??? Help??

Options
2»

Replies

• Kindlesprite
    Kindlesprite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do you see a dietitian as well?

I know it's like the pot and the kettle, since I hate having to see one, but it can be helpful to get an educated outsider's perspective on what "normal" food looks like.

I do! I have a whole team: clinician, dietician, therapist etc. I just only get to see the dietician once a month since it's all I can afford. I haven't had the chance to ask about any period related things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I actually already do see a doctor for an eating disorder, so it's all okay folks! I'm recovering from bulimia, and am not actively trying to lose weight as much as am growing accustomed to normal body weight fluctuations. The 4 lbs up in two days isn't something I've seen before and after quitting purging my weight has been mostly either stable or going down. I mostly just wanted to know that this is normal and my body isn't like, broken or something?

Your first post says you're losing 0.2lb per day on your normal diet.... how is that not trying to lose weight? :huh:

That's just how it's been happening since I started my recovery process. I'm assuming it's my body readjusting to a regular diet? This is just the first startling change I've seen.

What have your treatment team said about the daily weighing?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,872 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Editing because I saw more posts.

I would discuss weigh ins with your treatment team.

The truth is that your weight needs to increase not decrease as a normal weight for your height is a number of lbs in the future.

In other words seeing 2lbs up ought to have been cause for (irrational and misplaced) celebration as opposed to cause for concern.

Going 0.2lbs down every day for a week on the other hand ought to have been cause for rational concern.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I know it's like the pot and the kettle, since I hate having to see one, but it can be helpful to get an educated outsider's perspective on what "normal" food looks like.

I do! I have a whole team: clinician, dietician, therapist etc. I just only get to see the dietician once a month since it's all I can afford. I haven't had the chance to ask about any period related things.

And does he/she know about your weight loss?
  • Kindlesprite
    Options
    I actually already do see a doctor for an eating disorder, so it's all okay folks! I'm recovering from bulimia, and am not actively trying to lose weight as much as am growing accustomed to normal body weight fluctuations. The 4 lbs up in two days isn't something I've seen before and after quitting purging my weight has been mostly either stable or going down. I mostly just wanted to know that this is normal and my body isn't like, broken or something?

Your first post says you're losing 0.2lb per day on your normal diet.... how is that not trying to lose weight? :huh:

That's just how it's been happening since I started my recovery process. I'm assuming it's my body readjusting to a regular diet? This is just the first startling change I've seen.

Yeah, and I'm trying to not do it as much. Ideally I want to be doing it about once a week, but my anxiety is super high in regards to it right now. Essentially my team said that it's okay for right now as long as it provides me enough relief to keep me from engaging in the ED behaviors, but that over time we want to move away from it.
  • Kindlesprite
    Options

Yeah they are aware
  • collectingblues
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yeah they are aware

And I take it they're trying to increase your intake accordingly? Because I find it *very* hard to believe that a treatment team would be OK with someone who is so underweight to still be losing weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah, and I'm trying to not do it as much. Ideally I want to be doing it about once a week, but my anxiety is super high in regards to it right now. Essentially my team said that it's okay for right now as long as it provides me enough relief to keep me from engaging in the ED behaviors, but that over time we want to move away from it.

I think you should tell your team that this minor water weight fluctuation has you freaking out and talk with them about whether it's wise for you to keep this strategy for right now. If the scale going up is going to stress you out this much, it's worth discussing with them -- especially since you are underweight and you need the scale to be going up.
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Come on guys. You said she should see a doctor she replied that she already is. We have to take her at her word and trust the experts to advise the right things. I bet she doesn't want a dozen people questioning her on her eating disorder if all she wants to know about is periods and water retention.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    Come on guys. You said she should see a doctor she replied that she already is. We have to take her at her word and trust the experts to advise the right things. I bet she doesn't want a dozen people questioning her on her eating disorder if all she wants to know about is periods and water retention.

When someone is in a dangerous situation, I think it's appropriate for people to sometimes repeat advice appropriate to the situation.

If OP doesn't want further advice, she's free to request that her post be deleted. Until then, I'm glad people are expressing their concern. I have no interest in living in a society where people don't ever try to help one another.
  • essexgirl1971
    essexgirl1971 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    2LBS A DAY???? thats a lot, at your current weight i wouldnt worry about a gain. given yuor eating disorder i suppose its just part of parcel of your recovery
  • collectingblues
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »

When someone is in a dangerous situation, I think it's appropriate for people to sometimes repeat advice appropriate to the situation.

If OP doesn't want further advice, she's free to request that her post be deleted. Until then, I'm glad people are expressing their concern. I have no interest in living in a society where people don't ever try to help one another.

And, along those lines, if you've got an ED, and simultaneously have questions about water weight, there's no law that says you have to give your weight/height stats when you ask. Like, I know I've got issues with weight and obsession -- so I just keep my mouth shut and Google instead of posting on a forum asking people to validate me. (Or, you know, stick to boards like MPA where there's more of a focus on the loss and not so much on the healthy behavior.)

Yes, I was grilling her. Because I'm living this right now, and I know what I'm hearing from my treatment team, and I know they are having enough issues with me at the weight where I am, and with my anxiety levels related to weighing and water weight. So if my experiences can help someone else, I'm going to put it out there -- even if it then raises questions for the OP to think about whether she's really doing as well as she thinks she's doing.

Protip: Good treatment teams know when you're trying to pull one over on them.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    2LBS A DAY???? thats a lot, at your current weight i wouldnt worry about a gain. given yuor eating disorder i suppose its just part of parcel of your recovery

OP said .2, not 2.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    So I have been very steadily losing about .2 lbs per day sticking to my regular diet but for some reason the past two days I have gained 2 lbs each day going from 104 to 108!! I have read that this is likely because I am about a week out from my period, but this has never happened to me before and I am freaking out! Does this happen to other people? Can someone explain this to me?

Yeah, this is the answer. It's to do with the estrogen/progesterone switch around day 14 or so and water retention. The good news is it is only temporary, the bad news is it'll drive you crazy :smile: . The best way for women to track weight loss is to compare the same weeks in their cycle to each other, not go from week to week. So week 1 is compared to week 5, and so on. I got this from Lyle Mcdonald on a youtube podcast. You can look up his name and women and fat loss and you'll find it.
  • Kindlesprite
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    So I have been very steadily losing about .2 lbs per day sticking to my regular diet but for some reason the past two days I have gained 2 lbs each day going from 104 to 108!! I have read that this is likely because I am about a week out from my period, but this has never happened to me before and I am freaking out! Does this happen to other people? Can someone explain this to me?

Yeah, this is the answer. It's to do with the estrogen/progesterone switch around day 14 or so and water retention. The good news is it is only temporary, the bad news is it'll drive you crazy :smile: . The best way for women to track weight loss is to compare the same weeks in their cycle to each other, not go from week to week. So week 1 is compared to week 5, and so on. I got this from Lyle Mcdonald on a youtube podcast. You can look up his name and women and fat loss and you'll find it.

Thank you so much! It makes me feel a lot better to have an understanding of the hormones behind it. I think because I have struggled with an ED, my hormones have been out of whack for a long time and haven't been operating normally so I haven't experienced this before. It's new and scary but having the logic behind it is helpful.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

Thank you so much! It makes me feel a lot better to have an understanding of the hormones behind it. I think because I have struggled with an ED, my hormones have been out of whack for a long time and haven't been operating normally so I haven't experienced this before. It's new and scary but having the logic behind it is helpful.

Glad to hear :)