Fell off the wagon... please help!

2»

Replies

• agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Not Really any tips just food for thought...

What is it that you want, you want to happier, you want to be healthier, you want to live longer, and a million other reasons How do you plan on getting there? Eating right and exercising. So when you think about it, every time you don't feel like working out, or you feel like you need an extra piece of cake, you are only letting yourself down. But for every extra second you spend working out, for every Calories dense nutritionally void snack you skip you are bettering yourself. So all the work you do, is for you and only you, so why cheat yourself, why hold out on yourself, because everything you do is paying back to yourself. You work your butt off you reap the benefits, you push yourself a little harder you get the reward. So pay in big to yourself and you'll be happy with what you get out of it. Hope that helps and good luck.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    No real tips as such for you except eat the best way you can with foods that are healthy and filling. One of my MFP's put these two quotes onto his page and I think they just about sum the whole thing up ... the first is from an unknown source and simply says "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!” .. and the second is from Lance Armstrong who said “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” ...... we all have choices every day - maybe with these thoughts in mind we can make better choices - I wish you well :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Make the wagon easier to stay on. Since you couldn't hang with the 1200, there's reason for that... it isn't easily sustainable.

Oddly, you'll see a lot of these exact posts.

"I came here, ate 1200 calories for a while.. lost some weight, decided to actually eat more food again and fell off of the wagon. Gained my weight back... came back again.. did 1200 again.. "

It's a rinse, lather, repeat cycle.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

use that site. Figure out how many calories you need, don't just jump on the 1200 bandwagon again.. or you'll probably find yourself falling off again.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Make the wagon easier to stay on. Since you couldn't hang with the 1200, there's reason for that... it isn't easily sustainable.

Oddly, you'll see a lot of these exact posts.

"I came here, ate 1200 calories for a while.. lost some weight, decided to actually eat more food again and fell off of the wagon. Gained my weight back... came back again.. did 1200 again.. "

It's a rinse, lather, repeat cycle.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

use that site. Figure out how many calories you need, don't just jump on the 1200 bandwagon again.. or you'll probably find yourself falling off again.
    I totally agree with this! If you are making a lifestyle change instead of a "diet", you need never "fall off the wagon" and lay there forever. It works much slower but much more sustainably if your deficit isn't impossible to maintain!
  • cerenia
    cerenia Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks guys, my worst thing over the hot weather has been fizzy drinks, chocolate and ice cream... actually eaten it that much chocolate is getting boring to me... and thats a first! Cooking my last 'bad' meal - i'm a carb addict, and tidied my living room so can start excercise again, aiming for 2 - 3 stone by end of the year, 2 minimum, so crossing fingers!! Will get fresh measurements in the morning and hope for the best

Hi - well one good thing - you know what effect that food has on you. so now you can work to change that. Do you wish to totally eliminate it from your diet? Can you substitute something else that will give you eating pleasure? OK you may feel like eliminating it, and yes you might miss it, and yes you might salivate when you see a tv commercial for it, but if you could learn how to say no to it, which starts in your thinking and reacting to food, which is what helped me, that could be a big victory.

some people include those food items in thier diet, but you might wish to not eat them at all.. to me, those foods are just a tease, cant stop at just one bite. so believe me, for me, its easier to not taste it, and not get the taste buds all craving it :) you could try it for 2 weeks, cravings usually go away by 2-3 weeks, and then you dont want it anymore. but you have to substitute something else.. for me i do a granola bar.

My pattern last time was toast for brekkie, only 1 slice, lunch usually a sandwich, french fries as low fat and low cal, and a weightwatchers choccy bar, get home, excercise for an hour, then a larger meal at night, and it seemed to work for me, on some high excercise days, I would give myself a little treat, like a couple of choc fingers, or a cup of tea, so will try that again, cut the sugar down :)

Hi - :) Hope your day is going much better :) May I say that if I had to eat what you just described as a typical meal, for sure I'd want to eat all the ice cream I could find. I am trying to say that you might be eating unattractive diet food, I bet you'd do great if you would find some really delicious recipes that you would love to eat that are not fattening. Like just go to a vegetarian website and see the delicious vegetable recipes, I'm not vegetarian, but those reciples are so yummy, they have salads made of grain and veggies that really look appetizing to any meat eater even!!!

then I'd like to kindly point out - that you do the exercise and then reward yourself with chocolate,, I think you might enjoy finding another reward. it could be a piece of yummy juicy fresh fruit, if you go with fresh fruit, and not the sugars/chocolate, that fruit after awhile turns out to be very sweet and yummy and just as delicious - or even MORE so than the chocolate biscuits!!!

I will even go so far as to say this - it is quite possible that if you do without chocolate sweets for 2-3 weeks, in that 3rd week or so, your taste buds will change. It would be fun as an experiment to see what could happen. A lot of people say this happens, would'n't it be fun for you to see if it can happen.. its like magic or something. Amazing!!!

In fact, I think its totally fun to see all the changes happening day by day or week by week as my tastebuds change and things like that, and to see the weight go down and being able to move better and things like that! totally worth it.

The problem I have is that fruit and veg make me really ill - i've managed to build up to a little bit of real tomato juice mixed with food, orange juice, tomato soup and very fine bits of onions over the years - partly psychosymatic, partly physical owing to a childhood accident affecting my taste buds, i've tried several, and they just make me ill - and at the point i'm too busy to really try something that I know will make me ill, although do try other things where I can, going to enjoy grilled chicken and pasta later :)

I've gone to weightwatchers chocolate/cookies as a weaning crutch, I will get back to cutting chocolate and biscuits out 4 days a week, and make it as a treat.

Doing well so far, I know its only a day, but have thrown out my chocolate stash out of the fridge unless its under 107 cals (kitkats), and been sticking to water, even going to a gym for the first ever time tonight with a friend, its only for 2 weeks before she finishes at the gym, but if I can like it, i'll keep at it. Signed up for a squat challenge and a 40lbs loss by Christmas group, did 28lb in less than 5 months last time, so going for it!
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Hi Cerenia,

Ive done the same as you before in losing weight and gaining it again. But im now in the right frame of mind to start dieting again, my comfort eating is also related to emotional/mental health issues. Dont beat yourself up over the past, the fact youre posting on here is a step in the right direction as it shows youre also thinking about becoming healthier also.

My suggestions if youre a carb lover is there is nothing wrong with carbs, think of all the nutritious carbs there are such as wholemal bread, wholemeal, pasta, wholemeal rice, tortillas and bagels.

I have a simple rule now to try and just eat my carbs at one meal only, so if I have toasted bread for breakfast i try to avoid a sandwich at lunchtime and pasta for dinner, if I had my way I would eat carbs at every single meal

My breakfast is usually 2 slices of hovis wholemeal bread (176 cals) and a boiled egg ( 70 cals) that fills me up so much sometimes I forget to eat lunch.

As for chocolate, around 9/10pm every night I make a hot chocolate drink with 4 teaspoons of hot chocolate (any brand) with a splash of skimmed milk and topped up with hot water, this clocks in at 80 calories, if im starving before bedtime I always make another slice of brown bread toast at 88 calories a slice. Even if it means I go over for the day, I still eat it and so far im still losing weight. Carbs will always be my addiction.

What has truly surprised me is how filling raspberries are. At 30 cals for 100g in a bowl with 50g of ordinary basics vanilla icecream /sainsburys supermarket (75 cals) a huge bowl of raspberries and ice cream come in around 100 calories, it doesnt even feel like a diet.

Im fortunate in that ive planted raspberry bushes in my back garden, the original 2 plants cost me £2 each from a garden centre, I planted them around 4 years ago and theyve now spread to around 12 feet across, 4 foot deep and around 6ft high.

Raspberries are so expensive in supermarkets and now I have so many raspberries ive had to give away huge bowlfuls daily to all my neighbours.

eek sorry to go off topic, but anyway you may find like my youngest daughter that the reason fruit makes you feel ill is that you have an oral fruit allergy, what you should do before eating any fruit is rub it on your lips and wait 10 minutes to see if they tingle, then chew fruit in mouth for around 5 minutes and spit out and wait to see if your mouth swells or tingles. My daughter had constant headaches and spent many months visiting hospitals ruling out migraines, sinus problems etc before they discovered she was multi allergenic. Raw fruit was the cause of her problems, when she ate raw fruit in particular apple it made the linings of her sinus cavities swell and inflame hence the headaches.

Howver she has no problem if the fruit is cooked as it changes the structure of the protein or something technical/medical cant recall the explanation they gave us now.

So if you find you cant each much fruitthen take your fruit as a glass of fruit juice and just increase your vegetable content instead, if both are impossible you could try vegetable soups if liquids are preferrable to solids. Best of luck anyway.