Whole 30 diet. Any success?

2»

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Awww, man, I guess this means that I have to just exert will power to not eat more food than I need to! @Treece68 Was hoping there was some new magic pill that would transform me into someone who could effortlessly remain thin! ;-)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing it because I think I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I only seem motivated to avoid those "BLTs" (bites/licks/tastes) when I am unhappy with my weight, then once I lose it, the nibbles start again. Was wondering if this would be a good reset button for cravings, and also the part about not weighing yourself had appeal. Does the diet work in terms of killing cravings and teaching you to not eat when not hungry??

It seems to be disastrous for those who have an "unhealthy relationship" with food...
    If weighing yourself less frequently seems appealing, you can do that without doing Whole30.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    storyjorie wrote: »
    Awww, man, I guess this means that I have to just exert will power to not eat more food than I need to! @Treece68 Was hoping there was some new magic pill that would transform me into someone who could effortlessly remain thin! ;-)

It's still important to remember that Whole30 is NOT a weight loss plan. It's most useful for identifying food sensitivities. Certainly not a magic bullet. It may reduce cravings while your on the diet, but once you introduce additional foods back into your diet and allow "snacking" then you back at square one.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    First I have heard of this one. Just what the world needs, another fad diet.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    I did it last year and I loved it! My psoriasis cleared up, I slept very well (my husband said my catathrenia--a type of apnea -- also virtually disappeared), and I also lost 14 lbs. My sister finds it very good for controlling her migraines.

I loved the food I could eat; eggs, bacon (I ate prosciutto instead), sausage, hash browns... as long as all the ingredients were within the program guidelines. The problem for me is that with five kids and a hubby, it was too much to keep up indefinitely, but I would definitely do it again if my psoriasis comes back (it's been gone everywhere except my scalp ever since I did the Whole30 last summer).
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    I did it 2 years ago. It's tough. I lost 10lbs but I never felt the surge in energy that the owners tout so much. Just view it as a challenge for a month, not a diet, not something you'll do forever, just a personal challenge. If you have no underlying medical issues, it's healthy to do. Good luck!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    Ignore the woo factor - ( i.e. Whole30 gets rid of your chronic pain and inflammation and brings you boundless energy) and there may be something to get out of it ( it makes you pay good attention to what and how much you are eating).

But menopausal age women beware - lots of anecdotes about sharp increase in hot flashes and other menopausal complaints when on the diet - I'm one of them. Something in that extended restrictive eating plan either majorly messed with my hormonal balance or there is one *kitten* of a big correlation coincidence.

I had a friend with similar - also her cholesterol (good and bad) went us, and her thyroid levels got worse
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    @storyjorie don't we all wish there was a magic pill unfortunately we have to rely on ourselves and some times we fail :smiley::neutral: