Freezing protein products?

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
Hello! This is a very specific question. I didn't find any outright answers after a lot of time googling. I was at GNC and got Buff bake oatmeal raisin cookies for a buck a piece, and when I got home discovered they were expired. No problem, I'm not afraid of expired food. But I was wondering, is freezing things like this okay? Do they thaw well/taste okay? I've already placed them in the freezer (since I figured they wouldn't last long in the pantry) I'm also curious if anyone else has done this with protein bars or protein products. Do any freeze particularly well?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I've 'frozen' protein powder, although it was in the hope of making my protein shakes colder since my kitchen wasn't air conditioned and the very warm powder was making the shakes gross. It was totally fine, but I've never tried it with bars or cookies so I'm not sure how that would turn out.

Personally, if I was gonna freeze that kind of thing I'd take it out of its original packaging and wrap it in something airtight (saran wrap or aluminum foil) to prevent ice crystals from forming and to keep it from drying out. Hope it turns out fine!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You can freeze baked good extremely well. If you have a food saver/vacuum sealer use that!!! If not, zipper bags. Just remove as much air as possible before placing them in the freezer. Separating them with waxed paper will help prevent them from gluing to each other. Thaw them in the sealed bag, in your fridge. If they get slightly mushy, pop them in the toaster for a minute.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Check the timeframe on the manufacturing to listed expiration date if you can. If it has a very long shelf life (as in months/years), then you probably don't have to worry about it going bad in the pantry anytime soon.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Freeze them right in the packaging. They'll be fine -- and are yummy frozen!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I froze them in the package - gonna try one on monday for breakfast at work!