Cheat day during weight loss?

Options
Hi. I want to know your opinions about cheat days during weight loss? Can I have One cheat day Once a week? Or every two weeks? Daily I eat around 1400calories and Maybe it will start again leptin function and i will catch some new glycogen. Whats your opinion?

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above.
    Cheating is just that, cheating. And you're only cheating yourself.

However, choosing to drop to, say, 1,350 for 6 days a week to buy yourself an extra 300 calories for fun on the 7th is a totally legitimate thing.
    Just don't drop TOO far (net intake after exercise should be above 1,200 for most women and 1,500 for most men) or you're likely to find energy levels etc suffer (also long term health, vital bodily functions etc etc).

Alternatively, earn some extra calories through exercise so that you can afford the splurge.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Rather than a cheat day have a treat meal every now and then. Just plan for it in the days leading up with more exercise or slightly reduced calories so you fit within your weekly budget, or eat at maintenance for that day. Be very mindful that this occassional meal doesn't become an occassional day, then a week, then a oh well let's give up trying to lose weight kind of thing.
  • martinaneuwirth
    martinaneuwirth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok. I Just wanted to say I can not treat myself Everyday. I can't eat Just a tiny piece of chocolate. I was obese in the past so i love Food so much But as i said i can't treat myself like that. I want a whole chocolate bar(Or Even more hah) until i fell satisfied
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok. I Just wanted to say I can not treat myself Everyday. I can't eat Just a tiny piece of chocolate. I was obese in the past so i love Food so much But as i said i can't treat myself like that. I want a whole chocolate bar(Or Even more hah) until i fell satisfied

you need to relearn how much chocolate you need to 'feel satisfied'...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat chocolate to treat yourself. If you love food, I'm sure you like a lot of different foods. Most healthy weight adults don't eat chocolate every day. (Some do, but it takes some planning, and it's usually quite small amounts. If you don't feel satisfied with small amounts, it's better to not torment yourself with it.) But you can surely eat chocolate occasionally, and lose and then maintain weight.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that weight loss is really simple (eat less, move more), and overcomplicating it (leptin, glycogen, metabolism, gut bacteria, etc etc) is what makes it difficult.

I also mean that if you count calories, you shuld do it right. Set an appropriate calorie goal (to achieve a weekly loss of 1% of total body weight), log everything correctly, and stick to the calorie goal as much as possible from day to day.

If you log correctly and honestly, you can eat whatever you want, so there is no need to cheat. The concept of cheating also goes against the concept of accurate, honest and consistent logging. One cheat meal could easily wipe out a week's deficit. Saving up calories for a special meal or the weekend, and logging that correctly as well, is not cheating, though.

This makes total sense.

Not just to the quoted poster but in general: Is there an easy way to keep track over the whole week or can you only see calories day by day? It would be great if you could see a weekly goal and as you go through each day it recalculate the average allowance for the days left or something! Anybody found an app that syncs with MFP maybe?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    smh_cliff wrote: »
    My opinion is that weight loss is really simple (eat less, move more), and overcomplicating it (leptin, glycogen, metabolism, gut bacteria, etc etc) is what makes it difficult.

I also mean that if you count calories, you shuld do it right. Set an appropriate calorie goal (to achieve a weekly loss of 1% of total body weight), log everything correctly, and stick to the calorie goal as much as possible from day to day.

If you log correctly and honestly, you can eat whatever you want, so there is no need to cheat. The concept of cheating also goes against the concept of accurate, honest and consistent logging. One cheat meal could easily wipe out a week's deficit. Saving up calories for a special meal or the weekend, and logging that correctly as well, is not cheating, though.

This makes total sense.

Not just to the quoted poster but in general: Is there an easy way to keep track over the whole week or can you only see calories day by day? It would be great if you could see a weekly goal and as you go through each day it recalculate the average allowance for the days left or something! Anybody found an app that syncs with MFP maybe?

the weekly average is available on the app
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks, I haven't found that yet!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    the thing is that the idea of a cheat meal comes from the rebound in musculation . the important thing on a cheat is to eat carbs some people forget that . in a good diet the only thing you need to adjust are the carbs . you always eat the same amount of protein and fat . with less carbs your body uses the energy from your bodyfat and your muscles (the point is to keep the muscle as much as possible though ) in the end the important thing is tohave a calori deficit but you cant take aways any kind of calories

This entire quoted section makes my brain hurt at the sheer incoherent nonsense it contains. Did this go through Google Translate?

Eat what you like but teach yourself to control it. That's much more beneficial in the long term than, as @TavistockToad so eloquently puts it, broscience rubbish. It may take you a while to gain full control, but once you do it will become part of your new eating habits and negates the need for actively planning cheat days.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Hi ! actually the comments above aren't true (no disrespect :) )the logic makes sense though you need to learn that you don't have to eat the whole chocolate to feel satisfied . you cannot gain weight ( and i mean real fat ) on a cheat meal (or cheat day but a meal is better in any ways itll teach you how to restrain yourself from eating your fridge ;) ) you ll be heavier the day after for sure for many reason (mostly water ) but the upside can be great . the thing is that the idea of a cheat meal comes from the rebound in musculation . the important thing on a cheat is to eat carbs some people forget that . in a good diet the only thing you need to adjust are the carbs . you always eat the same amount of protein and fat . with less carbs your body uses the energy from your bodyfat and your muscles (the point is to keep the muscle as much as possible though ) in the end the import

just no....

thanks for a great answer to my post i understand your very well explained reponse

your post is full of broscience rubbish....

you're welcome.

you are so disrespecful ahaha . these are just facts you can make some research if you want . i'm just trying to answer his question with some knowledge aquired from a long time of research and diet . you dont have to agree with me but its all based on serious studies and i tested it all on myself to see what worked and what didnt . still you need to learn manners .

Trying to work out exactly what is fact in what you said to be honest. If you eat a tonne of food, well above maintenance, you can indeed gain more than water retention. A cheat meal might be more carbs for you but that is very personal. I am more likely to have fries or cheesy potato bake rather than roast potato which is extra fat but the same number of carbs. With a deficit your body will use energy from bodyfat and muscle regardless of whether the deficit comes from carbs, fat or protein.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Depending on on how much you want to defer your weight loss goals, you can have as many cheat days/meals as you want. Let's say you're on a 500 calorie a day deficit, you have cheat meals twice a week in which you consume 750 additional calories each (1,500 total additional calories). By doing so, you have deferred your weight loss goal by three days (1,500 divided by 500).
  • MaximilienZadeh
    MaximilienZadeh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i appear to be the bad guy here ahahah its okay , sorry but i cant back up everything i say all the time i didnt see any additional research links in your posts either . so next time ill keep my knowledge to myself since im getting flamed . ive been studying the question for 8 years now im not saying im always right but i was really just trying to help here , people try to teach to former obese people that they have to show restrain ,the thing is for us its so much harder and it takes so much time to learn the new concept . as least i can thank you CS2 for a full and complete answer :) good day to you all ^^
  • managematics
    managematics Posts: 27 Member
    Options

There are also other ways to get a chocolate fix. I put a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder in my fruit and veggie smoothies. No, it isn't the same as a dark chocolate truffle, but it's good.

Here's a sample recipe: 1/4pound spinach, 1 small banana, 1c. frozen cherries, 1c. frozen blueberries, 1/2c. pomegranate juice, 1c. unsweetened almond milk, 1T unsweetened cocoa powder, 1T ground flax seed, 1T oat flour, a few drops of vanilla extract.

A full recipe is about 450 calories, but you can always halve it. You can always put in a bit more cocoa powder for more of a chocolate flavor. It's also a great way to get some of the antioxidant and other benefits of chocolate without busting your calorie budget. This is my lunch a few days a week -- it feels luxurious and not at all like cheating.