New to Apple Watch - looking for tips from vet users

Options
Just bought this thing yesterday and pretty excited about it! Had some questions for those who are fairly experienced with them.

Best apps for Watch? Or is the activity tracker do the job just fine?

This is a concern that I probably should've addressed with my phone long ago. But should I disable steps when tracking an activity so that I don't receive "extra credit?" With my phone I've been estimating my jogging calories, see how many step calories I was credited, and subtract before logging. But seeing how the Watch will make logging more automated, this process may become even more convoluted.

This last one is more of a technical concern. Has anyone had any problems paring headphones that were previously used with your phone? I have a pair of skull candy ink'd that's always worked very well with my phone but the Watch doesn't see them, even after disconnecting from my phone. I'm wondering if the headphones might be giving me the finger now hat they're so attached to my phone? I've read multiple google results for this and following all the steps. I realize that this really falls outside the scope of MFP. I was only curious to know if anyone here has experience something similar with their Watch and what they went through.

Thanks!

Replies

• popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You won't get extra credit as long as you have a workout enabled. I've tried a couple apps with a polar HRM and compared with the stock app and built in HRM and the results were close enough I quite using chest strap. Granted I am far from a fine tuned athlete so YMMV.

I have tried pairing any headphones with my watch.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Activity tracker is good. You really don't need other apps. When you start a workout, just tap the workout icon and select your workout and make sure your watch is not loose so it reads your heart rate.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper for my runs and the health kit app for my swims. Watch out for double logging to MFP if you use other apps - Runkeeper and health kit both give me credit for my run so I have to manually delete one.

Haven't tried pairing headphones, sorry!
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo with mine and love it!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use Motifit with mine - I like the graph function related to heart rate, the interval timing options and the ability to enter custom names for workouts. The workout data from Motifit & the general activity data from the activity tracker get funneled through the Healthkit and are picked up by MFP. I have the Motifit calories-burned option set to 75% of what the factory default setting is, and even then I figure it's probably inflated. Edited to add: the double logging doesn't seem to happen as was noted above with Runkeeper.