Need to take two weeks off lifting- tips to not lose mass

Options
I'm having surgery to fix a deviated septum, and the doctor says I shouldn't exercise for at least a couple weeks, and refrain from doing intensive exercise that'll increase by blood pressure for at least three weeks, to make sure I don't get a nose bleed and prolong healing.

I've been on a bulk for a couple months now and making great progress, my surgery is in a couple weeks and I'm not looking forward to having to take that much time off from the gym. I might go every couple days to do cable excersizes and keep the muscles "entertained", but will I start loosing gains being out of the gym that long?

Also, should I just keep my calorie intake the same as during the bulk or lower it? It's a pretty lean bulk and I only gain about 2lb a month or so anyway, probs 150-250 calories above maintenance.

Any general tips to so I stay on track during this downtime?

Thanks

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You may lose some visible size as water/glycogen stores are not replenished since you are working the muscles - but that's not real muscle loss, so don't fret. My understanding is the real muscle atrophy doesn't start until after 3 weeks. I'm assuming by that time you will be able to lift something even it's light. Eat sufficient protein, reduce calories to account for the reduced exercise. Maybe this is a good time to cut instead of bulking? Maybe just a really slow cut so that you have sufficient energy to heal, but aren't gaining a bunch while you are inactive?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance, taking into account that your activity will lower because you aren't lifting.

In two weeks time your strength may drop temporarily, but you're not really at risk for losing any gainz.
    Two weeks isn't really "that much time" away from the gym.

(I mean, speaking as someone who has been out a lot due to injury... Two weeks is nothing. Some time off every now and then can do you good.)
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've just started back at the gym after 3 weeks off due to an injury and have noticed no visible body composition changes and my weight has stayed almost exactly the same.

I agree with eating at maintenance, maybe even just slightly over. You might come back after 2 weeks feeling even better and more motivated than before. This is a good opportunity to let your body heal, don't rush back into it too soon.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    No to worry, you'll need much longer then a few weeks to lose muscle. You'll lose some fullness, glycogen, but it'll come right back. Eat at maintenance to not gain fat, or even use it as a short cutting opportunity and keep your protein higher than the bulk.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to eat at maintenance and also wanted to mention not to worry about your weight for a couple of weeks. If you have any sort of IV fluids or fasting before surgery, your weight may be all over the place, but it will quickly sort itself when you get back to your routine.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Here are my top 12 tips for keeping your weight stable while and maintaining physical fitness while travelling!!

1. Don't change your habits substantially.. if your used to using #myfitnesspal or other methods of #countingcalories then keep it up!
    2. Pack gym attire and emergency #workout gear. For me this was mainly 2 lb ankle weights and resistance bands. I also used #pinterest to get #fitspiration for no-equipment workouts
    3. Vary your workouts. Don't expect that you'll be #lifting or even have the luxury of a hotel #gym. Make a committment to everyday at a certain time (for me this was prior to breakfast) for a certain amount of time to do any kind of #activity. This varied for me between #calinsthetics, #yoga, going to a #pilates class and #hiking.
    4. Don't expect to be more active than you were at home. I usually work out for 90 minutes, but when travelling I only did 60 minutes because I knew that was all I could commit to.
    5. Love the #fullbodyworkout. If you can't do your upper/lower split, that's ok!
    6. Bring a #waterbottle. If the drinking water is risky, just make sure to boil water before using it.
    7. Be prepared to have an unlimited buget (or a very large one) for calorie-free beverages and water bottles. Even put aside some money in case you find a cool new #dietproduct you'd like to try. When visiting #southafrica I tried so many new #sugarfreechocolate, #protienbars, etc!
    8. Be flexible about your #macros. If you can't hit your #protien goals, you will survive!
    9. When you don't know the #nutritionalinfo of food that you want, don't deny yourself it. Just make an estimated guess and move on!
    10. When there is long flights, make sure to get up every hour or two to move your body! Think about some stretches to do, and walk ailes. People may look at you funny, but your risk of getting a blood clot will decrease. When having layovers walk around window shopping or catching up on zzz's. Your body will thank you!
    11. When there is a time change, stick to however many meals you usually have per day. If the day is shorter because of the time change, try to eat more calorie-dense foods to hit your macros. If the day is longer, and you find yourself hungrier, use water and less dense foods to fill the time in-between meals.
    12. Don't be hard on yourself!! Don't wish you could be home just for gym access and macro accuracy, make the best of your situation and know how fortunate you are to travel. Ingore the #fuckitfactor! If you slip up get right back on track! Most of all... have funnnnn!!!