Losing the skinny fat look

Options
So I'm at a healthy weight (somewhere around BMI 19-20) but my thighs are very fat. I also have love handles and overall a high body fat percentage. I'd like to look leaner since I'm going into my freshman year of college. I feel like I can't go out because I look huge in all the pants I wear.

How can I lose the skinny fat look? I've gained some muscle from biking so should I work on losing body fat now?

Replies

• rower1018
    rower1018 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    timsla wrote: »
    Time to get strength training my friend. Luckily you're at university where the gym membership is free Or 40,000 dollars and comes with emenities like a library a place you can sleep, and classes technically
    I stationary bike for an hour each night so I have a little more muscle on my legs and a little less fat. What kind of strength training would you suggest? I don't want my legs to get even bulkier
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation! I'm doing HIIT so I can burn the fat, and just a little strenght training. Once I start to see a diference (hopefully), I'll focus more on strenght training, with a little light cardio. I don't know if I'm doing it right but it's the conclusion I got to after doing a lot of research.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rower1018 wrote: »
    Time to get strength training my friend. Luckily you're at university where the gym membership is free Or 40,000 dollars and comes with emenities like a library a place you can sleep, and classes technically
    I stationary bike for an hour each night so I have a little more muscle on my legs and a little less fat. What kind of strength training would you suggest? I don't want my legs to get even bulkier

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

It takes a LOT for women to bulk up. Do this while eating at or around maintenance.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike is mostly cardio, you won't build actual muscle there. Get a balanced progressive full body strength training plan. Also make sure that you're eating at maintenance or small surplus. You can't build muscle while in caloric deficite.
  • rower1018
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    I'm in a very similar situation! I'm doing HIIT so I can burn the fat, and just a little strenght training. Once I start to see a diference (hopefully), I'll focus more on strenght training, with a little light cardio. I don't know if I'm doing it right but it's the conclusion I got to after doing a lot of research.
    What kind of HIIT are you doing?
  • rower1018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

It takes a LOT for women to bulk up. Do this while eating at or around maintenance.
    I thought it was hard to lose fat at maintenance?
  • rower1018
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Stationary bike is mostly cardio, you won't build actual muscle there. Get a balanced progressive full body strength training plan. Also make sure that you're eating at maintenance or small surplus. You can't build muscle while in caloric deficite.
    I think I have more of a mesomorph body type so could that be why I've gained muscle? Or is it "newbie gains"? Lately I have been eating around my TDEE
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I thought it was hard to lose fat at maintenance?

If you're doing a good progressive lifting program and getting enough protein (.8-1 gram per pound of lean mass) it can be done.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just move straight to lifting. Find a good coach you, can actually take a weight lifting class in college, if you're more into the group mentality join a cross fit gym(only if they have a starting strength coach or OLC) it depends what your real goals are. If you want results in a reasonable amount of time and recomp your body it's the only way. If you're worried about looking like an ifbb pro or "bulky" don't worry unless you're on the juice you'll be fine. Unless you're starting college later in life I imagine your metabolism is pretty solid.

Annnnnnnnnd don't get sucked into the human pyramid scheme that is Herbalife shakeology or any of that supplement fat loss bs

Protein creatine(totally optional) and a good multivitamin and sleep are all you need.
    Feel free to message me if you have any questions
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    What kind of HIIT are you doing?

I'm doing Fitness Blender! Their website is amazing, you should check it out!

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

LOL!!! This is hilarious!!!! and oh so TRUE!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's lifting time.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Even though I was losing weight my body fat percentage didn't decrease until I added weights and strength training. As a woman you are not likely to bulk either so don't let that fear detour you.

In a year with lifting and making conscious effort to gain muscle mass and lose fat (recomping) I have gained under 5lb of muscle. It is hard to gain new muscle as a woman.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Strength training is paramount. You can also do whatever kind of cardio that you like, but the cornerstone should be strength training.
  • rower1018
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Even though I was losing weight my body fat percentage didn't decrease until I added weights and strength training. As a woman you are not likely to bulk either so don't let that fear detour you.

In a year with lifting and making conscious effort to gain muscle mass and lose fat (recomping) I have gained under 5lb of muscle. It is hard to gain new muscle as a woman.
    I know it's kind of funny and counterintuitive but I'm afraid of being judged if I start lifting at the gym