"Soft" exercises anyone? Lol

Options
SisepuedeLinda
SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So... I have a painful horrible nasty bloody ingrown toenail that limits what I do. I still do a lot of walking at work (2,000-4,000 steps depending on the day). I WAS exercising 30 minutes a day doing like a circuit video on YouTube but found I could only do around 20% of it because then my toe would be throbbing! I'll be getting it removed in a month (!!!!!!) but til then, can anyone recommend something I can do besides walking? Something that doesn't involve much pressure on my toes. I also signed up for a cardio class that starts in 2 weeks at school... do you think I'll survive?? It's mainly being on machines like treadmills, bikes, and elliptical which I've never used before so I'm not sure how it'll be for me for these painful weeks.

Replies

• SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    Aw it keeps deleting my last sentences
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    That can't be a good way to live. Why not see a doctor and have your ingrown toenail fixed? If your in college it should be pretty cheep at the school clinic.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I can't see the elliptical or treadmill being bearable for much until you get that toe fixed. Biking might be perfect. Swimming, as was suggested, also. It's pretty amazing how much feet are involved, which you don't realize until you have pain in one of em! Good luck to you!
  • SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    How about hopping? Sorry iv had a few beers and feeling silly ...

Haha that'll work!
  • SisepuedeLinda
    edited August 2017
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    That can't be a good way to live. Why not see a doctor and have your ingrown toenail fixed? If your in college it should be pretty cheep at the school clinic.

Yeah I'm waiting to get my referral to a foot dr then I have to wait on the foot dr to look at it then tell me to come back in 2 weeks so it's a long process I just went through in November but I didn't think about going to my health clinic at school since I went to an urgent care and all they did was give me pain meds.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So... I have a painful horrible nasty bloody ingrown toenail that limits what I do. I still do a lot of walking at work (2,000-4,000 steps depending on the day). I WAS exercising 30 minutes a day doing like a circuit video on YouTube but found I could only do around 20% of it because then my toe would be throbbing! I'll be getting it removed in a month (!!!!!!) but til then, can anyone recommend something I can do besides walking? Something that doesn't involve much pressure on my toes. I also signed up for a cardio class that starts in 2 weeks at school... do you think I'll survive?? It's mainly being on machines like treadmills, bikes, and elliptical which I've never used before so I'm not sure how it'll be for me for these painful weeks.

Swimming. Works all the major muscle groups, provides resistance as well as cardio, and keeps you off your foot.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I can't see the elliptical or treadmill being bearable for much until you get that toe fixed. Biking might be perfect. Swimming, as was suggested, also. It's pretty amazing how much feet are involved, which you don't realize until you have pain in one of em! Good luck to you!
    Thank you for the feedback :)
  • SisepuedeLinda
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Swimming?
    Yeah swimming might work I didn't think about that thanks :) love your hair by the way I miss my bangs!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Pilates?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Elliptical would place less pressure than a treadmill or walking IMO.
  • Avsgirly
    Avsgirly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics !
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my toes, in addition to bunions, so I understand your pain. I find that the elliptical doesn't hurt. Also, I use a cross trainer (sort of like a recumbent stepper with arms). That's kind to my toes. Bicycle is good too.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Does you gym have a rowing machine? I love to row and you can really work up a sweat doing it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Can you see a different doctor? I has one years ago. Got an appointment at a foot doctor, was in and out in less than an hour, few days later all good.
  • wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for cardio then cross trainer/elliptical would probably work as there's no impact in the lower limbs. Same with the bike - if you can access an assault bike then even better as this works arms as well, making it a full body workout. And last but not least, the tower is great - you can do all sorts of workouts in them (time or distance based) plus you can adjust the resistance if need be.