Loose skin prevention?

Options
aggiepringle6665
aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
I am 50lb into a 200 lb weight loss. I am hearing that people often need to have surgery to remove the loose skin left behind after a large weight loss. Is there any way to prevent loose skin from forming?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Time. And sometimes that isn't enough. The slower you lose weight the better your skin has at recovering as skin replaces itself, albeit very slowly. Losing a lot of weight very rapidly will make it so your skin gets really bad (think bariatric surgery patients that lose 200lbs in less than a year!). Take it slowly, drink plenty of water (hydrated skin heals faster), and be healthier. Often if loose skin becomes a medical issue (sores/infection) most insurance will cover it's removal. If not, loose skin removal is one of the less expensive cosmetic procedures. Being healthier is cheaper in the long run, so over time the money saved will pay for the surgery if it's ever needed.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    No sorry there isn't. ..losing slower may give any skin that will shrink back do so but it's all down to genetics whether you will or won't. Pills potions creams and wraps won't work.

I'd also say age plays a factor... Skin loses elasticity/suppleness as we age so shrinkage probably won't happen as easily in older people.