Ladies: Junel Birth Control Experiences

I have some questions about the JUNEL Birth Control pill ( I have the 1.5/3.0 for 21 days). I'm worried about the side effects. I would like to know what others are feeling and the way they have changed as a result of taking this pill, such as bloating/retaining water, gaining a lot of extra weight? I can deal with +1-5 pounds-totally fine. Has anyone been on birth control and lost/maintain weight and how long does the bloating and water retention last? I have read this pill also makes many people feel depressed. I really do not feel comfortable taking this with so many side effects. I know that BC pills effect everyone differently, however, if there is a commonality with side effects, it would help me judge what to expect for myself. I would want to know what many of the common experiences are. Thank you.

Replies

• Doyouevenlift26
    Doyouevenlift26 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi! I have been on Junel for 4 years or so and NEVER had a problem. I was always worried I'd gain weight from birth control... this is the best birth control I've had so far... no weight gain, crazy cravings or mood swings.... I feel bloated from time to time but it's nothing that isn't normal... I'm on a lower dose but like I said I love junel and it makes my periods pretty much non existent and lite and deff helps with the cramping! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Aisha
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Thank you so much for writing. I have read that those are some of the side effects. I so much appreciate hearing your experiences.
  • FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    been on it for a long long time, it actually helps my depression that hits right before my period. No negative issues but it will make your period less frequent over time which isn't a bad thing...but when you are mid-40s and you miss a couple periods you start to freak out so I wish someone told me that.....
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    I stayed on Junel for a month because I gained weight. It was only a few pounds but based on the reviews a lot of women gained weight, so I switched. That was the only side effect.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    @ISweat4This & @FatAFNoMore - You both didn't notice mood changes on this? If I may ask, which doses were you on? Were you on 1.5-3.0?
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    @ISweat4This & @FatAFNoMore - You both didn't notice mood changes on this? If I may ask, which doses were you on? Were you on 1.5-3.0?

My mood changes anyway so I can't pinpoint it to birth control.

• FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    I find being on birth control helps my depression. I get extra dark the days before my period and the pill helps me tremendously with that. I take Junel FE 1/20 for whatever that is worth. I was on another brand for like 20 years but they don't make them anymore so this is what was suggested. There is another brand my GYN recommended but my insurance didn't cover it so I didn't bother to remember the name. I'm in my late 40s so I guess I should be moving to lower estrogen pills.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Been on Junel for 2 years (20MG) switched from Lo-Lostergen FE (10MG) because I keep break through bleeding. Had bad cramps first 3 months, after that I have like 1 day of bleeding.

As far as weight goes, just don't stuff your face full of food (lol) I think I only gained 5 lbs with this + I had depression before, I think people who are pre-disposed to mental disorders have a heightened affect when they have hormones. My sister was warned about going on birth control because of her bi-polar disorder.