Great Results with Intermittent Fasting

Options
hendrafellany
hendrafellany Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey there! I've changed my eating style and doing IF since April 2017. My goal is to lean out and get more definition in my physique.

Results: Went from 77kgs to 65kgs (as of now). Now i can see my abs and separation in my muscle.

Old Routine: I used to eat 6 small meals a day every 3 hours at about 1800 cals per day. 1hour of weights and 20-30mins of cardio after my first meal.

New Routine: Fast for abt 15hours and 1hour of weights and abt 20-30mins of cardio in my fasted state. And then eat my first meal about 1.5 hours after my workout. Eating window is usually for the next 6-8hours after my first meal. Still about 1800cals per day.

Results have been phenomenal! Despite my caloric intake being the same as it was before, i was able to lose fat and see better definition in my physique. No fat burners or weight loss supplements needed. "Cheat days" are typically once a week. Strength is definitely slightly compromised in the gym but I've come to terms with it as I'm really happy with the results I'm getting.

Intermittent Fasting is definitely working for me and assuming one's in good health, should give this a shot as it has a whole lot of other health benefits besides fat loss. God bless.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've changed my eating style and doing IF since April 2017. My goal is to lean out and get more definition in my physique.

Results: Went from 77kgs to 65kgs (as of now). Now i can see my abs and separation in my muscle.

Old Routine: I used to eat 6 small meals a day every 3 hours at about 1800 cals per day. 1hour of weights and 20-30mins of cardio after my first meal.

New Routine: Fast for abt 15hours and 1hour of weights and abt 20-30mins of cardio in my fasted state. And then eat my first meal about 1.5 hours after my workout. Eating window is usually for the next 6-8hours after my first meal. Still about 1800cals per day.

Results have been phenomenal! Despite my caloric intake being the same as it was before, i was able to lose fat and see better definition in my physique. No fat burners or weight loss supplements needed. "Cheat days" are typically once a week. Strength is definitely slightly compromised in the gym but I've come to terms with it as I'm really happy with the results I'm getting.

Intermittent Fasting is definitely working for me and assuming one's in good health, should give this a shot as it has a whole lot of other health benefits besides fat loss. God bless.

Can you elaborate? What "whole lot of other health benefits" are you crediting IF for?

And how are you measuring your caloric intake?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    "about" 1800 cals a day doesn't sound like you're overly accurate with your intake.... Do you weigh all solids on a food scale and measure all liquids?
  • hendrafellany
    Options
    @snickerscharlie yo! While there's no way for me to accurately measure "health benefits", i do find that i have higher energy levels, i sleep better and that my morning bathroom "rituals" have been a whole lot smoother. Its kinda hard to be specific but I generally feel good abt myself.

I'm measuring my caloric intake by the foods i consume during my feeding window. I look up the nurition facts online if its not on the packaging. Add it up and i have my caloric intake for the day.

That has been my approach and from my experience so far, has produced the results i've been trying to achieve.

Hope this answers your qn somehow. Thanks for reading!
  • hendrafellany
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean greetings! Yeah. I say "about" coz i know nutrition facts on food labels are not 100% accurate due to cooking styles, portions, etc. And i dont weigh my food or liquids. I only use this app as approximate guide to estimate my calorie intake as often as i can.

Its working great so far. Thanks for reading! Cheers!
  • Mos09
    Mos09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your positive change! I thinks it's worth a go. Thx for sharing.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean greetings! Yeah. I say "about" coz i know nutrition facts on food labels are not 100% accurate due to cooking styles, portions, etc. And i dont weigh my food or liquids. I only use this app as approximate guide to estimate my calorie intake as often as i can.

Its working great so far. Thanks for reading! Cheers!

If you're estimating your intake, you cannot say that IF was the reason you got better fat loss results.... You were just in more of a deficit.

Really? How do you know?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If that's a picture of you, then you don't deserve a woo. Unless it's a happy woo. Woo-hoo to you.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @snickerscharlie yo! While there's no way for me to accurately measure "health benefits", i do find that i have higher energy levels, i sleep better and that my morning bathroom "rituals" have been a whole lot smoother. Its kinda hard to be specific but I generally feel good abt myself.

I'm measuring my caloric intake by the foods i consume during my feeding window. I look up the nurition facts online if its not on the packaging. Add it up and i have my caloric intake for the day.

That has been my approach and from my experience so far, has produced the results i've been trying to achieve.

I've actually been using Intermittent Fasting (16:8) for most of my adult life. Long before it was given a fancy label and 'credibility.' I'm in my early 60's, btw. ;)

I've just never been one to be hungry in the morning. Even as a child, eating breakfast was always a chore for me. Once I was on my own, I simply stopped eating it at all.

Then a few decades ago, the whole "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" mantra came along, so I, once again, forced myself to eat breakfast thinking I was doing something good for myself. And wondered why I was putting on weight. LOL. It was then that I realized that forcing myself to eat when I wasn't even the slightest bit hungry was counterintuitive and stupid. So I stopped. ;)

The only thing I have in the morning is a cup of coffee (because coffee!) and my meds. I'll have my first meal of the day - lunch - sometime between 1:00 and 2:00. By then, I actually *am* hungry.

Skipping breakfast leaves me enough calories for the rest of the day to have a really good lunch and dinner, as well as a few snacks/treats in the evening which I thoroughly enjoy.

The only other benefit of eating this way that I've noticed is that whenever I *do* eat that first meal, it seems to wake up the sleeping "Feed me!" monster. So the longer I can delay feeding it by skipping breakfast, the better off I am.

Having said all this, there is absolutely no magic in I.F. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. It's all about the amount of calories one consumes in a day and not about when they consume them. Intermittent Fasting is just a method that works for some people to help them control their caloric intake and manage their weight. Nothing more, nothing less.

:)

This.

There really is nothing special about intermittent fasting other than it being a way to help people manage their appetite.

The overall amount of calories you eat will ultimately determine your weight, it doesn't matter what meal pattern you adopt in which to eat them.

Is the current popularity of IF a pendulum swing response to the eat-6-times-a-day advice that was popular a few years ago?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately, although I fast 16:8 for six days a week, I don't see the added benefits that are often claimed. And with the OP's very positive anecdote (I would never discourage that), there is no way to real show causation for a couple of reasons:

1. The intake was not really controlled because measurements are admittedly estimates in his case. In his case the estimates appear to be working fine and if I was in that state I'd do the same thing.
    2. OP may have been ready to "lean out" anyway based on a deficit, or having a 'whoosh'. There is no way to tie one specifically to the change to IF.

By the way, when I switched to 16:8 I had an immediate 'whoosh' myself. There was a correlation. I have no scientific way to establish causation. Unlike @snickerscharlie I always was a breakfast eater and it took some adjustment to delay my eating window. Once I got used to it, especially with a single cup of coffee mid morning, it has become a great way to control intake.

If there are other benefits, great. I'll be happy to get them. If there aren't, I still enjoy the smaller window. I am neither a skeptic nor a believer - although I'm naturally skeptical of the claimed benefits with respect to fasted-state benefits on workouts or extra fat burning in the fasted sate. Those claims have a certain intuitive quality to them that may be true, but I'm not yet convinced. Even if they were true, I don't believe they are significant relative to the caloric deficit itself. Whether they're proven to exist or not is irrelevant to my using IF. For intake control alone it's worth it.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I've actually been using Intermittent Fasting (16:8) for most of my adult life. Long before it was given a fancy label and 'credibility.' I'm in my early 60's, btw. ;)

I've just never been one to be hungry in the morning. Even as a child, eating breakfast was always a chore for me. Once I was on my own, I simply stopped eating it at all.

Then a few decades ago, the whole "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" mantra came along, so I, once again, forced myself to eat breakfast thinking I was doing something good for myself. And wondered why I was putting on weight. LOL. It was then that I realized that forcing myself to eat when I wasn't even the slightest bit hungry was counterintuitive and stupid. So I stopped. ;)

The only thing I have in the morning is a cup of coffee (because coffee!) and my meds. I'll have my first meal of the day - lunch - sometime between 1:00 and 2:00. By then, I actually *am* hungry.

Skipping breakfast leaves me enough calories for the rest of the day to have a really good lunch and dinner, as well as a few snacks/treats in the evening which I thoroughly enjoy.

The only other benefit of eating this way that I've noticed is that whenever I *do* eat that first meal, it seems to wake up the sleeping "Feed me!" monster. So the longer I can delay feeding it by skipping breakfast, the better off I am.

Having said all this, there is absolutely no magic in I.F. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. It's all about the amount of calories one consumes in a day and not about when they consume them. Intermittent Fasting is just a method that works for some people to help them control their caloric intake and manage their weight. Nothing more, nothing less.

What about working out in a fasted state? Do you think it may "burn" or have more of an effect than vs. workout in non-fasted state? What is your input on that?
  • shirda77
    shirda77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »

What about working out in a fasted state? Do you think it may "burn" or have more of an effect than vs. workout in non-fasted state? What is your input on that?

Can u share what is your first meal like?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Science: http://weightology.net/fasted-cardio-an-undeserved-good-reputation/

QTF and all around awesomeness!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Definitely what anvilhead said:
    AnvilHead wrote: »

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 yeah thats a pic of me. And i'm sure u meant ur words in the most postive way. Cheers man.

To the members who have replied:

My only intention with my post is to share my happiness towards what has worked for me in achieving my goal. Its never meant to glorify a certain method or "trend". Simply sharing a method that has proven effective for me. I respect any difference in opinion and perspective anybody may have towards IF and the way I've done it. After all, everybody's body works differently and everyone's entitled to their own opinion of any approach to fitness/weight loss/nutrition, etc. And your own unique experience and perspective may inspire others in achieving their own goals. Cheers.

We don't work that much differently, and in terms of weight loss, losing weight requires us to all eat less than our body needs. IF is a great way for many people to stick to their calorie goal - its the calorie intake that determines their success, not a particular timing of meals.

You suggest that all you changed was your meal timing, with calories remaining the same, and you suddenly had amazing results, when really all you did was eat less.
  • PeakLiving17
    PeakLiving17 Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hey brother, I've had great results from IF too. For years I've lost weight pretty well all over my body however my lower stomach and love handles have still been somewhat an issue (albeit minor) to me despite the weight loss. The fat just wouldn't go around my midsection. Fast forward, I stumbled across IF through a friend and I began an 18:6 style IF protocol. I kept my calories the same as there was no need to change them. After 2.5 months of doing this my midsection is basically transformed. I have a V taper with veins on it?!? I don't even workout my abs however I go hard on all compound lifts so that could explain that. So yeah, since those results I've been doing IF ever since. I don't know why it did that or how just yet. I suppose one should try it and see for themselves like I did.

Edit: and yes I train fasted. I have more energy training without food in my stomach