Pregnancy and weight

Hey there. I am 32 and about 5 weeks pregnant. This will be my third baby. With my first two it took about two years to get back to my prepregnancy weight. This time around I'm slightly older and heck of a lot busier. I'm also vegan. I'm feeling pretty superficial and worried about blowing up. The first trimester is always quite dramatic for me with the changes. Any advice?

Replies

• kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Hi there. I'm almost 26 weeks pregnant, and my doctor and I were both a little concerned about my 16 pound weight gain at last month's appointment. She suggested I get control over it since excessive weight gain can cause trouble during the pregnancy and because I'll just have to lose more weight after our daughter is born. She cleared me to go back to the gym doing light cardio and weight lifting up to 40 lbs. on lower body and 20 lbs on upper. I also used a pregnancy calorie calculator to estimate what I should be eating to maintain my weight at this point in my pregnancy and set my MFP calories to that level. So far, I'm going to the gym consistently 3-4 times per week and have been able to maintain my current weight for a little while now. At my appointment a couple of days ago, the doctor was happy with my progress. Good luck! :-)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    This early on you should switch mfp to maintenance and seek advice from your doctor or midwife
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Hi there. I'm almost 26 weeks pregnant, and my doctor and I were both a little concerned about my 16 pound weight gain at last month's appointment. She suggested I get control over it since excessive weight gain can cause trouble during the pregnancy and because I'll just have to lose more weight after our daughter is born. She cleared me to go back to the gym doing light cardio and weight lifting up to 40 lbs. on lower body and 20 lbs on upper. I also used a pregnancy calorie calculator to estimate what I should be eating to maintain my weight at this point in my pregnancy and set my MFP calories to that level. So far, I'm going to the gym consistently 3-4 times per week and have been able to maintain my current weight for a little while now. At my appointment a couple of days ago, the doctor was happy with my progress. Good luck! :-)

16 lbs at 26 weeks is not alarming AT ALL. I'm really shocked your doctor wants you working out. I gained 45/50 lbs with my singleton and that same amount with my twins and neither doctor ever said anything about my weight gain. I personally think you're doing great but for sure I'm not your doctor. Of course listen to him/her. Good luck!