Calories vs net calories for losing weight

Options
Hi everyone,
Looking for advice. For my weight loss goals ny recommended calories is 1200 per day in MFP. Then there are days when I exercise and may burn about 300 calories. Net calories ends up at around 900. Am I supposed to target net calories to be 1200 or just my calories eaten to be 1200?

I'm 5'2", at around 173 and trying to get back to the 130's. 1200 always seems so low as well. My progress has been slow so far and I tend to yoyo a bit.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Net 1200. Eat the exercise calories. They're delish.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    1500 is a reasonable amount for your height. You could always raise your base calories a little. 1200 is tough.

Play around with your food choices, too. More protein and fat (therefore fewer carbs) seems to help people remain full for longer. Fiber is good for that too. :)

• nnd001
    nnd001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's helpful.
  • melesine
    melesine Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 also and I go by that, not my net calories. For one thing, logging exercise calories isn't reliable. I've been using MFP for 2 years and I've lost about 80 pounds.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "S/he who loses weight while eating the most food wins."

THIS!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @nnd001 welcome to MFP forums and best of continued success.

My yo-yoing weight never stopped until after I got my Vitamin D level over 50 ng and today I try to keep that health marker around 100 ng. My weight loss has been slow but I have been trending down and or maintaining for the past 2.5 years.

You will find a way to eat, think and move that will work for you. You have time on your side which I did not.