Coconut Oil

Does anyone have any evidence this oil is better than say, olive oil. I have heard mixed reviews

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    No. If you don't have issues with saturated fat (I have familial hypercholesterolemia and need to watch all sources of SF), then use whichever oil has the taste needed for the dish you're making.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I only have evidence that coconut oil is absolutely nasty for frying eggs. Might save someone the horror of having to go through that experience. Other than that, use any oil you want for any purpose you want. The evidence isn't there or is weak at best.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I only have evidence that coconut oil is absolutely nasty for frying eggs. Might save someone the horror of having to go through that experience. Other than that, use any oil you want for any purpose you want. The evidence isn't there or is weak at best.

Yes tried this once thinking it would taste great,ugh,inedible,greasy yuck!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Popcorn popped in coconut oil tastes just like movie popcorn. And no butter is necessary.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Coconut oil may have some health benefits in terms of it's fat oxidizing. It makes ketones more readily which is a good fuel for the brain. More MCTs. It won't be helpful for everyone though.

Source on Coconut oil and fat oxidation please? I've never seen anything that has indicated that relative to coconut oil. If you are eating LCHF or Keto it is a source for ketones.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Coconut oil may have some health benefits in terms of it's fat oxidizing. It makes ketones more readily which is a good fuel for the brain. More MCTs. It won't be helpful for everyone though.

What's your source on fat oxidation? In relation to energy balance... how?

I'd be most curious to read about this.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    On a dietary level both are high in salicylate which makes them equal in my eyes.

They could be of benefit for someone who has imbalanced digestion, as in having taken antibiotics or strong pain relief which impacts the most beneficial digestive microbes. Both inhibit the overgrowth of least beneficial microbes, by utilising the natural salicylate most plants produce to protect themselves from moulds and mildews.

Apart from this, if you like the taste/flavour and they suit the meal you wish to prepare, go fot it.
  • Uisceuisce
    Uisceuisce Posts: 37 Member
    I can cook food at a higher temp with coconut oil than the olive oil
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    You'll keep hearing mixed reviews. Even the ongoing scientific studies persist in presenting mixed results.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've seen nothing supporting the idea that it's better than olive oil. I use both, because I think both work better in different recipes. I also like that it's easy to measure out just a tiny bit of coconut oil, because of it's consistency, and I personally love the smell.

I generally wouldn't think one should be consuming so much of any oil that it matters that much, although there are oils (mostly in ultra processed foods) that I largely avoid (not really an issue if you mostly cook from whole foods anyway). I also do choose the less refined coconut oils (as explained in my NYTimes link above).
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Who cares. I love coconut oil
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    There are lot of good oils - olive, coconut, avocado, hempseed, walnut...
    Use whatever fits your recipes. Not everything tastes great with coconut oil.
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    Coconut oil is good one
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »

Yes tried this once thinking it would taste great,ugh,inedible,greasy yuck!

I use 7g of coconut oil to make 2-3 eggs every single morning. Have never had a problem with taste over too much greasiness.