ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    4 weeks in, I'm not hating it:

Did you grow that butt in 4 weeks?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @lizery Ha! Not hating your endorsement pic! LOL! Awesome work, girl. Keep on, keeping on. We Americans are funny when it comes to words. I had a couple of friends from Down Under so I knew what you meant.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @cgvet37 DUDE! Very nice work. If you are new to squats and dead lifts (and not doing them in 20 years counts as 'new' to me...I include myself in that group) then I will gladly pass on some queues to you (if you are interested). In both squats and dead lifts I had H*O*R*R*I*B*L*E form and hurt myself....several times. Don't join that club....

My form now - on both (and Bench Press, as well) - gets lots and lots of "Dude, how is your form so good?" comments. Not bragging. I just made it a point to work on form....weight goes up, pain goes up when you hurt yourself because your form sucks *kitten*.

Have you tried front squats?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    - I'm moving in smaller increments with shoulder press and bench but the app only allows for 2.5kg jumps rendering the weight tracking feature of the app irrelevant.

I can adjust the weight increments in the app down to 1lb (maybe less). Are you not able to change it to less than 2.5kgs?

No ... it only jumps in 2.5kg increments.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I

Go into the app settings under Equipment. You need to tell it that you have lighter plates you can use.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    @cgvet37 DUDE! Very nice work. If you are new to squats and dead lifts (and not doing them in 20 years counts as 'new' to me...I include myself in that group) then I will gladly pass on some queues to you (if you are interested). In both squats and dead lifts I had H*O*R*R*I*B*L*E form and hurt myself....several times. Don't join that club....

My form now - on both (and Bench Press, as well) - gets lots and lots of "Dude, how is your form so good?" comments. Not bragging. I just made it a point to work on form....weight goes up, pain goes up when you hurt yourself because your form sucks *kitten*.

Have you tried front squats?

I have others watching my form, and giving me pointers. I always go for form over weight.
  • Crispus1954
    Crispus1954 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Use a belt on Squats and Deadlifts. I found out the hard way injuring myself doing 250# squats. I am better now and my form has improved.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    I was about to say the same. I use a belt as a reminder to brace my core. As you said, a belt does not replace poor form.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Did you grow that butt in 4 weeks?

No, but the shape has completely changed!

• cgvet37
    Options
    I had a fail today. Attempted 210 on bench. I got 5, 5, 5, 4, 4 for reps. I will get it on Monday.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

If only all threads went this well.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    - I'm moving in smaller increments with shoulder press and bench but the app only allows for 2.5kg jumps rendering the weight tracking feature of the app irrelevant.

I can adjust the weight increments in the app down to 1lb (maybe less). Are you not able to change it to less than 2.5kgs?

Since/If, you can only increase in 2.5KG increments (and that is a little too much), just repeat a weight, perhaps going to failure on the last set, before moving on. I have frequently repeated a weight that was a little hard, or even "deloaded" to regain form. The program does not have to be rigidity adhered to. Modify it to fit your needs and goals.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Since/If, you can only increase in 2.5KG increments (and that is a little too much), just repeat a weight, perhaps going to failure on the last set, before moving on. I have frequently repeated a weight that was a little hard, or even "deloaded" to regain form. The program does not have to be rigidity adhered to. Modify it to fit your needs and goals.

Oh yeah, I've been increasing my load in smaller increments. Just can't record that accurately on the app for some reason. I've just been putting the actual weight I lifted in the notes section and rounding with the tracking tool. My comment regarding the incremental just was a criticism of the app not the program itself.

In any case - started with being able to do 2 reps at bodyweight (57kg) and am currently doing 5 x 5 at 55kg (121lb) for my squat in week 7. Certainly making progress in terms of strength.

Seeing a lot more definition too.
  • pedramf77
    pedramf77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First 6 months is great with Stronglifts. When you start the plateau yoyo it's not worth it. Too much intensity and volume at that point. Can't recover fast enough. When you get there jump to texas method or madcow. I jumped straight to 5/3/1. Worth it. Sometimes less is more. Plateaus are gone.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Last week was week 12 for me.

Squat SW 145 lbs./CW 340 lbs.
    Bench SW 155 lbs./CW 200 lbs. (had to de-load at 200 lbs. and worked back up)
    Barbell Row SW 115 lbs./CW 210 lbs.
    OHP SW 70 lbs./CW 130 lbs. (had to de-load at 125 lbs. and worked up to 130 lbs.)
    DL SW 145 lbs./CW 275.

I will soon have to switch to 3x5 on OHP and bench. I'm going to de-load on squat, as my form was breaking down yesterday at 345 lbs. It's not work risking injury, or having poor form in general. Overall I'm very happy with my progress. Also, I have not taken a lot of measurements, but my legs have grown an inch in diameter so far.
  • ijsantos2005
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Last week was week 12 for me.

Squat SW 145 lbs./CW 340 lbs.
    Bench SW 155 lbs./CW 200 lbs. (had to de-load at 200 lbs. and worked back up)
    Barbell Row SW 115 lbs./CW 210 lbs.
    OHP SW 70 lbs./CW 130 lbs. (had to de-load at 125 lbs. and worked up to 130 lbs.)
    DL SW 145 lbs./CW 275.

I will soon have to switch to 3x5 on OHP and bench. I'm going to de-load on squat, as my form was breaking down yesterday at 345 lbs. It's not work risking injury, or having poor form in general. Overall I'm very happy with my progress. Also, I have not taken a lot of measurements, but my legs have grown an inch in diameter so far.

3 months in and you have a 340 5x5 squat? :o

Great job!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Awesome progress.....I am starting week three of Strong Lifts 5x5 but have modified things so that I am training four times a week instead of three times a week.

And very smart to think about deloading if your form is breaking down. As I have stated already, I busted myself up when going too heavy (for my ability at the time). Form is everything. If that is the one thing that I would impress upon folks, that would be the thing. It is not worth hurting yourself out of ignorance.

Are you thinking about moving to MadCow any time soon? That is the next logical step - generally speaking - in this. That is what I am going to do. If you look at MadCow, you have three very different days in that program.

And, 340 @ 5x5 on the squat? Nice. I find this awesome.

But, most folks can dead lift more than they can squat. Usually (whatever that means) the numbers would be the opposite (you would squat 275 and deadlift 340). That is a testament to how squat focused this program is (which is not a good thing or a bad thing). Squats used to be my favorite...then I started dead lifts. Dead Lifts rule!!!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options

But, most folks can dead lift more than they can squat. Usually (whatever that means) the numbers would be the opposite (you would squat 275 and deadlift 340).

Yes.

Squatting more than deadlifting is very unusual. With a 340 SQT, I'd expect at least a 400 DL.

Frankly, given the OP's other numbers, I would guess that he is not doing a full parallel deep squat and, without a video, I'd have to question it but, if he's really doing back SQTs for 5 sets of 5 reps at parallel, that would be truly impressive.
  • ijsantos2005
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

But, most folks can dead lift more than they can squat. Usually (whatever that means) the numbers would be the opposite (you would squat 275 and deadlift 340).

Frankly, given the OP's other numbers, I would guess that he is not doing a full parallel deep squat and, without a video, I'd have to question it but, if he's really doing back SQTs for 5 sets of 5 reps at parallel, that would be truly impressive.

Good point.