Vegan!?

Options
Just curious for personal opinions and testimonies. What are the pros/cons of being a vegan? Have you personally experienced either positive or negative consequences? I would love to hear testimonies or even see before and after pictures after making that change!

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but there are weeks where I will go 3 or 4 days with no meat. I do find that rewarding. Usually it's when I have cabbage soup (Which I love) or some type of vegetable soup. I probably should explain rewarding. What I mean by that is I'm don't feel sluggish while my body is trying to digest some meats. In a way I feel cleaner.

This is all I have. Best wishes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be vegan. However, I like my 'vegan' protein powder and a variety of other 'vegan' worthy products I've included in my regular use.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but am of the opinion that if you are not already a vegetarian I would start there before jumping straight to vegan. And as with any diet you can be an unhealthy vegan or a healthy one; I would suggest a lot of research.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Read more on this site about the "What the Health" sermon you purchased on Netflix.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've gone vegan and vegetarian and now I'm omnivorous but eat meat maybe 3 times a week. More around family. I enjoy finding substitutes for meat eggs and dairy; easier cooking, more variety. I just have to mind that my cooking doesn't come out too bland, as I like a lot of flavor, and that I don't rely too much on processed meat substitutes (I.e. veggie burgers). I do find it hard to hit protein goals, which is probs why I wasn't able to do it long term: initially I lost weight but I started gaining it when I couldn't stop eating. I find staying hydrated easier when eating lots of veggies. And I got interested in adding umami to my veggies, which was fun!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 pounds on a vegan diet, but I was always hungry. My cholesterol numbers improved, but I could not get it below 200. In my case, the higher carb count of the vegan diet was problematic because I personally need a higher protein, lower carb diet to keep my blood sugar and insulin levels more stable. When they're stable I don't get cravings, which means it's easier to stay on a calorie restricted diet.

When I added meat back to my diet and reduced carbs, my cholesterol ratio improved and my total number dropped to 186.

The vegan diet taught me how to enjoy vegetables and legumes, though, and I will benefit from that for the rest of my life. On a moral/emotional level, I do miss being vegan. I loved the righteous (not self-righteous) feeling of being vegan.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    A vegan is someone who completely eliminates all animal products from their life, going way beyond food choices. The pros and cons of that are really personal and only you can answer for yourself.

Separate from that, earlier this year I experimented with a whole foods, plant based diet to see if I had any positive effects. Instead I had some nasty outcomes, including blood work done during that time that showed worsening cholesterol numbers. I also got a really bad case of shingles, which just added to everything else already going on.

After my blood work results I reintroduced animal products and I immediately began feeling better again. I'm curious to see what my next blood work this fall shows.
  • shlavannah
    shlavannah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just started myself about a month ago. I've lost about 3 pounds 5'2 120 to 117. Most importantly I felt a HUGE difference in my mood and energy. I don't have that sluggish feeling, I feel very energized and upbeat. I have started to get hungry more often and have increased my carb intake (which I was very hesitant at first) but it's all about balance. I've meet my macros and have found myself supplementing protein with shakes that have b12/amino acids/ BCAA. I'm also supplementing with iron pills. Hope this helps! And yes what the health documentary from Netflix is amazing! Really encourages you to start eating a plant based diet. I also recommend the book "You are what you eat" that recommends a plant based diet and food pairing for optimal weight loss.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    So I have been vegan for a few months and was transitioning for over a year. It was a hard process (still can be) but honestly I feel great! I gained a few pounds as I didn't know what to eat, especially in a pinch, but you learn over time. I started doing this for the animals, the environment and my health. There are resources out there to help you transition and to guide you through experiences. I suggest you watch the following documentaries on Netflix:
    -conspiracy
    -forks over knives
    -earthlings (YouTube)
    -what the health
    If you have any questions, let me know!

Did you mean "Cowspiracy"? I think you got auto-corrected :)
  • ohmijord
    ohmijord Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. I haven't decided if this is a road I will take in the future, but it's a possibility. On a positive note, I do things the healthy way when I do eat meat. I try to eat the least processed meat that I can find. My main reason for asking about this, is because I know it can be very beneficial to have a plant based diet, but I'm not confident cutting meat is a smart option for most people. Everyone that recommended more research, I couldn't agree more. I haven't watched the documentaries yet, but will eventually. My wife watched What The Health and enjoyed it. One thing to keep in mind, those documentaries are very much a one sided story. :)
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I've documentary that I enjoyed in Netflix was In the Defense of Food". They talked about both sides. Very interesting.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Something to bare in mind is that there is a difference between whole food, plant based (someone who eats little to no processed food) and vegan. It is still very possible to eat like crap on a vegan diet, thanks to lots of vegan convenience choices (if you live/shop somewhere with a decent supply).

I have been vegetarian for two years and am about to make the move to vegan (I don't want to be THAT person suddenly right at the height of holiday food sharing). That being said, when my diet consists more of plants and less of processed stuff (not eliminating carbs and such, just eating them in moderation) I feel a lot better. From improvements in my mood, to my skin, to my digestion, to my aches and pains, to my headaches. Everything gets better. When I eat lots of processed food, it all goes downhill (yet, despite that, I still struggle). Dairy hates me and I was never much of a voracious meat eater, partly because it often didn't sit well with me. Lots of fruits and veggies with a small amount of carbs (high quality bread, some pasta, rice), and I have very few issues.

My eating choices are fueled by ethics but backed up by my body's response. Not everyone will feel the same and the only real way to find out is to give it a try for a few weeks or so and see.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am no vegan, but I did cut my meat/dairies consumption by factor and also eat less eggs. I have two meat meal per week and I enjoy my Feta 2-3 times per week.