Tips for Weight loss

Options
Hey, So I have been on MFP since 2015 and my weight has been up and down. I want tips on what to do to tackle my weight. i am somewhat wheelchair bond but can walk with crutches, not many steps though. My calorie intake is set on 1780 and I sometimes hit or go over. I usually exercise 3, 4 times a week with 30 mins cardio and 30 mins of weights. my questions is if its enough. I usually have a good breakfast and lunch but I don't really eat dinner, I have more of a snack. I usually have protein bars or protein shake for snacks. Is eating only protein good for you or do you need other vitamins? Also is eating protein shakes for dinner good for you? Anyone with diet plans or just tips will be helpful.

Replies

• Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ooh I would like to know too if all rhat protein stuff is good for us,I usually just eant to eat protein bars or snacks and shakes. Because coming up with meals sometimes is brain wracking. Lol.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Ooh I would like to know too if all rhat protein stuff is good for us,I usually just eant to eat protein bars or snacks and shakes. Because coming up with meals sometimes is brain wracking. Lol.

I have actually sat at my kitchen table staring at a package of chicken breasts wondering what to do with it, for almost an hour.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Consistency is what helps you lose weight and keep it there. Exercise is not a requirement to lose weight, but it's good to do whatever it is you can. Your body is burning calories 24/7, even just eating less than whatever your body's calorie requirement is will enable you to lose weight. Eating protein is good, your muscles use protein, but you absolutely should be including variety in your diet. Missing out on the vitamins and minerals not found in protein sources will hit you down the road. And some vitamins can't be absorbed on their own, at least 3 are fat soluble which means you need fat to make use of them. If you're going over your numbers too much, that's your reason for your weight going up and down.

Veronica, look up chicken marinades. I've had the same issue as you and my dietician recommended the idea. I made this one: http://www.momontimeout.com/2016/05/the-best-chicken-marinade-recipe/ and it was AMAZING. But to accurately determine just how much of the marinade you ended up using, measure the liquid before you put the chicken in to soak, then measure again after you take the chicken out. Otherwise the amount will throw your calories and salt and such off. But yeah, just google recipes. There's lots out there.
  • fernie8787
    fernie8787 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try my best to stay low on the calories and dont usually eat back my calories that i have burned. I have cut off sugar drinks and just drink crystal light that has 10 cals. Im starting to be more aware of my eating especially when i go out or to school. Yes i should be consistent and takle this weight loss but there is time that i just want to eat junk food. I have made little progress and lost 10 lbs so far in 2 months. I have a long way to go for my ideal weight.
  • heartlessmf
    heartlessmf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    10 lbs ain't bad mate. Lets put some positive *kitten* on this - you haven't gained any. Quitting stuff is hard, but it gets easier the further down the road you go (although I've never been able to keep off the *kitten* for more than a fortnight). Learn what your triggers are so you can avoid temptation - people, places, having £ in your pocket, boredom, buying the stuff in the first place.
    When you've avoided a chance of screwing up, by distraction , feel good about yourself.
    Sorry mate, not being very articulate, too early, no coffee yet and the dogs are hyper!!!! Good luck
  • heartlessmf
    Options
    Whats that kitten all about then?#@!* One of those kittens was cigerettes not a gay person. What would happen if I have a kitten thats a pain in the *kitten* *kitten* and *kitten* everywhere?
  • heartlessmf
    Options
    Oh, thats what happens :-)
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing things correctly already.

Tip 1: Be patient
    Tip 2: Be Consistent
    Tip 3: It's fine to over eat sometimes but not all the time - Life is meant to be enjoyed

The weight will come off slowly. But that's a good thing.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stay positive and keep going.
    This journey isn't linear. It's three steps forward and two steps backwards.
    Ten pounds in two months is excellent.
    Your exercise regime is very positive.

The eating plan may need a little tweaking. While protein will keep you satiated, and they are the building blocks is cells, you can have too much of a good thing. Also the shakes and bars are all processed, so where is the fresh food.

A wide and varied diet of fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meats, nuts, seeds, dairy, legumes, lentils and whole grains will not only fill you up, it will keep you healthy, while losing weight.

Even if you wanted a snack for your evening meal, you could have a protein shake with fresh berries and Greek yogurt, a spinach omelette, Or a cheese and tomato toastie on wholgrain bread.

Having a wide and varied diet will keep your eating plan interesting, while ensuring your body is getting all the nutrients it needs,
    Of course while staying within your caloric guidelines.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Search the success stories for this title: Wheelchair user 130lbs healthier!
  • FransessM
    FransessM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Track the sugar on those protein bars and shakes, sometimes we think a healthy bar or shake can only help but the ingredients sabotage our efforts.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    fernie8787 wrote: »
    I try my best to stay low on the calories and dont usually eat back my calories that i have burned. I have cut off sugar drinks and just drink crystal light that has 10 cals. Im starting to be more aware of my eating especially when i go out or to school. Yes i should be consistent and takle this weight loss but there is time that i just want to eat junk food. I have made little progress and lost 10 lbs so far in 2 months. I have a long way to go for my ideal weight.

Being consistent and eating "junk food" isn't incompatible. I think a good strategy when you're struggling to figure out where to start is just to log every single thing you're eating, no matter what it is. Get out of the mindset of a diet being something you're either on or off. Your diet is what you eat every day. Logging can give you valuable insight into where your calories are coming from, what times of day you get hungry, whether you overeat out of boredom, loneliness, after drinking, before bed, whatever. Log log log.

If you can get into that habit, I think you will start finding places to make changes, Again, don't think that you have to start eating Greek yogurt and kale every day starting tomorrow (or ever - I hate yogurt)! But maybe just start with breakfast - what are you eating now, when, and how does it make you feel? Is there something you could try that might be more filling and fewer calories? Or maybe you need more calories in the morning to get you going. The thing is, no one can answer these questions for you. You have to become mindful of your eating habits and make the changes that work for you. You can do it! Good luck!