how did you decide on your goal weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I originally just wanted to get back into the healthy bmi range, which was about 13 pounds lighter than what i started at.
    By the time I got there I was on such a roll that I just kept going and decided to aim for a BMI of 20 just cus that was the look wanted. I've been struggling to get down there though, I've been hanging out at around 21 for a while now.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and hovering around 160 lbs. I have an aggressive initial goal of reaching 139.9, and then casually cruise my way into the 120s whenever (preferably by my 30th birthday next June). I will honestly be happy hanging out in the mid-130s, but I have chosen to try to get into the 120s because I haven't seen it since I was 19 and just want a quick drive-by really to see if I can do it.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I chose my high school weight during senior year. Once I reach that, I'll see how low I can go in 10lb increments.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I can't really pick an ultimate weight goal because I'm not sure what's realistic considering my starting weight. I know a 25 BMI is unlikely without skin surgery, I'd imagine. I also have very little recollection of the exact amounts I weighed more than 4 years ago, so I can't choose goals based on what I used to weigh. So I do 20lb increments usually, since that's when I like to take progress pics. I do have one other goal, between the internet and me, it's to weigh less than my mom. She also struggles with her weight you see, but I've been bigger than her since middle school. I'm 7lbs off from that goal, although since she's shorter than me I've already passed her in terms of BMI. Pretty satisfying already, lol.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Every time I see the title, I read weight as height. I'd loooove to reach my goal height ;)
    I don't really have a goal weight anymore; I have overall fitness goals I'd like to reach by the end of the year. (10 pull-ups, squat and DL 1.5x BW, consistently run a 10 minute mile)
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is under 200 lbs. I'm 5'8" and the darn BMI chart says I should weigh around 170. I think I will stay around 190-199 lbs. I'm "16" pounds away and I hope to be there by Dec. 2017. My starting weight was 266 lbs. If you need motivation, we could help each other. Good Luck! :)
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I have not yet arrived.... but I am working on it.
    I'm a bit OCD, so I like round numbers. I'm going for 210 by Thanksgiving.
    Then if I can hit that goal... we'll see what i can aim at for 01-01-18
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'4" tall and 67 years old. I weighed 115-120 in my late teens/20s but I think that's too low for me. I currently weigh 134 which is a BMI of 23. I've lost over 200 pounds over the past 7 years. I've set my goal weight at 128 pounds but I may be better off at the weight I am now.
  • SilentDan82
    SilentDan82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My method was probably overkill. I did a DEXA scan which told me exactly how much fat, lean mass and bone I have. Then I figured out how much muscle I can reasonably gain and how much fat I need to lose to have 10% body fat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I chose a weight that I felt really good at in the past. It happened to be in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height.
    I am fine as long as I get to a healthy weight though.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I was about the same weight through my teens and twenties (slightly above "normal" BMI) before kind of going off the rails a few years ago, so I'm hoping to get back to that weight. Alternatively, I'd like to get my waist-to-height measurement into a healthy range.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I set mine based on what was not considered "overweight" for someone of my build, then I added five more pounds just to be sure
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Started my journey in May-14. 5'2", weighed 210lbs, small-boned..... goal weight 133lbs.
    There were losts of mini goals on the way - every 10lbs
    Hit 133 in Jul-16 and thought... hmmm I can do better than this.
    Dial through to today and my weight is 113lbs. New goal is 108-110lbs by Christmas.
    Not sure there's much more weight loss after that, will be more about tone and definition.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It was a bit arbitrary--- first to lose 100 lbs, then to get below 200, then to be obese instead of morbidly obese, then to be overweight instead of obese, then inching downward...I'd like to finally be at the top of the "normal" BMI range, but after having been super morbidly obese my doctor feels I am already there when you factor in the loose skin that has inevitably resulted. I am below 150 and pretty happy about that. The remaining 10 lbs may be something I have to live with or may lose with skin removal. I'm not so sure I need to shoot for the next/final 10 lbs.